Weather

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
You want heat? Come on down to San Antonio.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, it's only 109 in Phoenix today. Good day for a BBQ.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
It gets worse. I got here in summer of 2011 and there were 77 days over 100. 2012 was about half that.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
well... another reason I don't like texas, then, lol

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Down here in the home of the Chief it rains almost every weekend. If it's not raining it's mowing time. None of my outdoor plans are going well.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
How much of your power comes from solar would you say?

On a good day, I can do 1750 watts, but 1.2kw is my summer norm. Not bad for a DIY $6500 system w/o any rebates.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On a good day, I can do 1750 watts, but 1.2kw is my summer norm. Not bad for a DIY $6500 system w/o any rebates.

Wow so on a good day you only use your solar power? Damn.... im buying a house, I wanna look in to that

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Granted, my favorite temperature is 75 degrees, so I'll take today over 90 and humid.

With that sad, last summer was hot and humid... A lot! Regardless, I love the seasons around Chicago because we actually get all 4 of them and I appreciate all 4 seasons. I will take that any day over the natural disasters plaguing the rest of the country. Tornados, hurricanes, wildfires, earthquakes, drought, etc. (And yes, I'm aware we get the occasional tornado, but Plainfield in the early 90's was the last truly destructive tornado in this area.)

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Wow so on a good day you only use your solar power? Damn.... im buying a house, I wanna look in to that

If you're buying an existing home design, you'll spend an arm and a leg retrofitting solar(the main problem is that you won't have optimal exterior placing for panels, and you'll get a 2kw system, but only draw in 1kw because of a crap roof or bad tree placement). If you're in a position to build a house, I would suggest you research rammed earth. Even with the mild-solar setup that I have, the rammed earth construction has been the best economic/ecological feature of my home that has paid itself off many times over.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
(And yes, I'm aware we get the occasional tornado, but Plainfield in the early 90's was the last truly destructive tornado in this area.)

Should see us when the alarm goes off. We are like bugs when the light goes on. Just last week in fact.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're buying an existing home design, you'll spend an arm and a leg retrofitting solar(the main problem is that you won't have optimal exterior placing for panels, and you'll get a 2kw system, but only draw in 1kw because of a crap roof or bad tree placement). If you're in a position to build a house, I would suggest you research rammed earth. Even with the mild-solar setup that I have, the rammed earth construction has been the best economic/ecological feature of my home that has paid itself off many times over.

Rammed earth huh? This is the first I have heard of that method. I just goggled it and watched a video on YouTube about it. If you are willing to share I would be interested in your experience with the building process and any drawbacks to the rammed earth method. That warrants its own thread!