What if Fields Bombs in 2024?

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
For those who advocate that the Bears should keep Fields as QB1 for the 2024-2025 season, I assume you feel JF is the guy for the foreseeable future. But, what happens if next year it's proven definitively JF isn't the guy? (I think this has already been proven, but I digress) Let's say the Bears win 5 or 6 or 7 games next year, which I think is likely. In this scenario they'll have something like a top 8 to 15 pick with a QB who isn't the guy (Fields) and would have to give up an enormous amount of draft capital to move up to the top 2 or 3 spots to draft Fields' replacement in the 2025 draft. They'd also be choosing from a much weaker QB draft class in 2025 than in 2024.

Doesn't it make more sense to move on from Fields this year, when you potentially have the first or second pick in the draft and have the chance to choose between what many college experts consider two A+ prospects? This also allows the Bears to keep their future draft capital intact. You also can fire Flus after this season, hire a new HC who then gets to draft his guy as QB1.

I think it's far riskier to stick with Fields, hoping he's the guy, bypassing on potentially two great QB's, rather than trading Fields this year and drafting a QB at the top of the next draft when you have the pick to do it.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Build lines first, it all start there.. Fields won't get any worse, and more likely will improve behind professional offensive line. Offensive coordinator is bigger concern at this point.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Build lines first, it all start there.. Fields won't get any worse, and more like will improve behind professional offensive line. Offensive coordinator is bigger concern at this point.
You have a point. The Lions took Goff as a cast-off and he's done quite well behind a stout O-line and a great O-coordinator, which is exactly why I'd like to see what Fields can do with a coordinator that can play to his strengths before writing him off entirely. I'm resigned to expecting him not to be a superstar but even if he can be an overall solid/good QB then that's better than what we've had for almost all of time.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
For those who advocate that the Bears should keep Fields as QB1 for the 2024-2025 season, I assume you feel JF is the guy for the foreseeable future. But, what happens if next year it's proven definitively JF isn't the guy? (I think this has already been proven, but I digress) Let's say the Bears win 5 or 6 or 7 games next year, which I think is likely. In this scenario they'll have something like a top 8 to 15 pick with a QB who isn't the guy (Fields) and would have to give up an enormous amount of draft capital to move up to the top 2 or 3 spots to draft Fields' replacement in the 2025 draft. They'd also be choosing from a much weaker QB draft class in 2025 than in 2024.

Doesn't it make more sense to move on from Fields this year, when you potentially have the first or second pick in the draft and have the chance to choose between what many college experts consider two A+ prospects? This also allows the Bears to keep their future draft capital intact. You also can fire Flus after this season, hire a new HC who then gets to draft his guy as QB1.

I think it's far riskier to stick with Fields, hoping he's the guy, bypassing on potentially two great QB's, rather than trading Fields this year and drafting a QB at the top of the next draft when you have the pick to do it.
A lot wrong with your "assumptions". There are more than 2 top QB picks this year and either Nix or Daniels will probably be equal or better.
With the picks, players etc. you get from a trade this year allows you to build a solid roster for your QB Jesus next year that would
then have a high chance of actually being a success. There will be at least 3 good QB picks available next year. The guy many have
a hardon for, Caleb has all the same issues JF has and is not mature and has a lower ceiling.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
181 posts over 3 years? + controversial topic?

Whose alt is this?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Great Thread OP! But you must take into consideration the history of this board.

Remember, the Fields apologists did the same for Jay Cutler back in the day. In other markets the QB position is under a constant microscope and heavily criticized. For this board it's every other positions/coaches fault but the QB. Remember all the Nagy hate threads for ruining mitch? CCS fans are weird like dat. You'd think they would change their tune by now . . .

Since the scouting report says Fields fumbles like a mofo, only gonna get worse for him and he a running qb too? lol

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You have a point. The Lions took Goff as a cast-off and he's done quite well behind a stout O-line and a great O-coordinator, which is exactly why I'd like to see what Fields can do with a coordinator that can play to his strengths before writing him off entirely. I'm resigned to expecting him not to be a superstar but even if he can be an overall solid/good QB then that's better than what we've had for almost all of time.
Everyone should read this. It's not like building around Fields for another year can do anything to hurt their next qb if it's not him. It also gives Bears a chance to see if Poles is the guy.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Everyone should read this. It's not like building around Fields for another year can do anything to hurt their next qb if it's not him. It also gives Bears a chance to see if Poles is the guy.
It's just to say that you don't get the 1st overall pick too often, let alone two years in a row. If you want to take a shot at a new franchise QB with an elite prospect, now's the time. I get it and wouldn't be terribly upset if Poles decided that Maye was the guy (for example) and pulled the trigger, then traded Fields for a 2nd+.

I also then wouldn't be surprised to see Fields exceed expectations wherever he's traded to because our coaching just was that bad and we didn't really support Justin with consistently good protection and weapons to throw to. If he can put up the numbers he does throwing to D.J. Moore then what could he put up throwing about 80% of his passes to D.J. Moore, Cole Kmet and Marvin Harrison Jr?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

first off, you list a win total next season as a barometer of fields success or lack thereof...again, wins are a team statistic...not individual. plenty of QB's have balled on a 5-7 win team

you mention potentially bypassing on "2 great qb's" when there is no clue really how williams and/or maye will actually turn out in a situation as the bears next qb. they could easily be just as bad or worse. not to mention in this scenario you trade away Fields where he could turn out to be a stud wherever he is traded to and then you have not only missed out on a "potentially great QB," but you actually traded that QB away at that point.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they do this right, they'll have another QB on the team already.

If they don't take a QB and keep fields, they can use the #1 or the other to get additional picks. Build a better team and get one of the other QBs that are not the 1-3 picks, like a Jayden Daniels (though I admit he may rise up during the combine).

Build the team and if he bombs you have a place where another QB can come in with a better foundation that what we have now.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Although I don't want the Bears to trade back with one of their first two picks, if they keep JF they should trade back in order to net a 1st round pick in 2025 to start this whole process over at the QB position if need be.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Im in the run it back with Fields camp, not because I think he will be the guy for the foreseeable future (he might end up being this guy but probably not) - but because I think the the haul from trading down #1 has a much higher likelihood of being a better addition than Caleb Williams will be.

If you trade down with someone like NE and get their '25 first round pick you probably get a top 5 pick from them and can take a top 2 QB in '25 if Field busts, or trade it for a vet, you have flexibility to do whatever but the next QB comes into a situation with a solidified OL (no Patrick at C) and skill positions who have had a year with the same coach and OC so they arent fucking up new plays as much, and a D that has improved to the point where they arent giving up 4-5 straight TD drives against playoffs teams. Or maybe Fields has a Tannehill like late jump and you dont need a QB anyway, you keep your flexibility.

I know a lot of fans bristle at the thought of willingly accepting a "lesser" Qb prospect by instead building the rest of the team around the QB position, but coincidentally you tell me how many of the following teams have QBs on their roster that they drafted top 2-3 overall:

1701463584392.png

There is wisdom to both routes, the Jags went with the draft a QB at 1 overall strat, but I frankly dont have faith in the Bears taking a coinflip decision which is the best case scenario of what drafting QB at 1 overall is for them. That doesnt mean you never draft a QB but to me it means when you have something with as much inflated value as the FRP you liquidate it for more value. Just my opinion.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

No. It doesn't make sense.

It makes more sense to give Fields one more year to prove it and trade the number one overall pick to get the rest of your roster playoff ready, and then in 2024 trade up for a QB since almost all of your other needs will actually be filled, thus giving your new QB a real shot to succeed.

I keep saying it, but the FOMO over the #1 overall pick is ridiculous.

Moses Moreno

Liked Posts:
You don't extend him then.

You draft a QB in the first or second round next year and let that dude sit behind Justin in 2025 and let him walk.

Only Burrow has lived up to the hype as the 1st overall pick in the past decade - every other good team has taken a different route to getting their franchise QB.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

And that's exactly it, and was my point in my "argument for Fields" post. Most NFL teams have had even just average to above average quarterbacks, fairly often, and those guys usually have good, long successful careers, and are good enough to win with and on occasion because of.
You put a team around a QB like that, and you can absolutely make hay in the playoffs and give yourself a lot of cracks at going to a Superbowl and pulling one out.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Depends on what you mean by "bomb". I think there's some nuance in there where Fields turns out to be Just A Guy. A somewhat productive, if inconsistent starter. I think that's probably the likely outcome. Personally if that's all he becomes, and Ryan Poles decides that's worth another look, fast forward me ahead 7 years to the next GM, and the next QB.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:

Would you bet your house on Williams or Maye being a franchise QBs?