What realistic move would you need the Bears to make to get you excited about this season?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Who's crying. Our GM blew the pick?

I don't blame him for not taking Mahomes but passing on Watson was unforgivable.

Then don't even bring up Mahomes name numbnuts.

And a lot of experts had Trubisky as the top rated QB prospect. This hindsight horseshit you're pulling makes you look like an idiot.

mbison

Liked Posts:
You know you could literally google HoF QBs drafted per round and find the data you are looking for.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/hall-of-famers-by-draft-round/

The quick answer is the majority of them are first rounders.

1st round - 14
2nd round - 3
3rd round - 3
4th round - 2 but none in SB era
5th round - 1 but none in SB era
6th round - none
7th round - none

Later rounds and Free Agents have none in SB era except for Warren Moon. Although this looks to be up to 2016 as Kurt Warner made it and Romo may make it. Brady will be the 1st 6th rounder to make it. Wilson will probably make it as a 3rd rounder. Brees as a 2nd rounder. In terms of 1st rounders, there will probably be about another 6-10 added from the Mannings, Mahomes, Rivers, Ryan, Rodgers, Jackson, Watson, Wentz, Newton, Big Ben, Flacco, Luck. Not saying all those guys make it but combined they are more 1st round QBs that will make it than all the other rounds combined.

Your numbers are way off. According to this there are 12 1st round QBs in the HOF.

2nd through - what ever there are over 14

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Then don't even bring up Mahomes name numbnuts.

And a lot of experts had Trubisky as the top rated QB prospect. This hindsight horseshit you're pulling makes you look like an idiot.

I am on the record as wanting Watson before, during and after the draft. On this forum. How is that revisionist or idiotic?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Watson wasn't some slam dunk prospect either. This is some major revisionist history
He was more worthy of being drafted 2nd overall than trubisky and thats a fact. On paper trubisky was the most inexperienced of the three and thus riskier. I would have had watson, mahomes and trubisky. I think thats what most fans had. The bears coach at the time wanted watson and pace shut him out.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
People like comparing trubs to bowie but a more valid comparison would have been if bowie was drafted over olajuwan and jordan. That's essentially what pace did. The rockets missed on jordan but got a hall of famer and two rings. If pace had drafted watson, it might still be a miss compared to mahomes but no one would have cared.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
It isn't. Mostly everyone had watson and that would have been fine.

You can argue either way on whether Trubisky was the consensus top QB among those covering the draft. It's irrelevant. Just like it's irrelevant what I thought at the time.

Pace made a bold call picking a QB he liked and he missed. I praise the balls - I remember at the time being happy he took a QB, even if I wanted Watson, but my second immediate thought was "he better be right". He wasn't.

What's revisionist is going back and looking at what a bunch of journalists thought and giving a GM a retrospective pass on the biggest decision our franchise will take in a decade. That's truly idiotic.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
I am on the record as wanting Watson before, during and after the draft. On this forum. How is that revisionist or idiotic?

Because of the simple fact that you, me and anyone else had NO IDEA how these guys are going to do in the NFL. If someone says they wanted Watson over Trubisky I get that, that's understandable. But there was pretty much nobody saying take Mahomes over each of them. I'm sure plenty of people expected Ryan Leaf and Cade McNown to be great too. And calling Mahomes and Watson HOF'ers right now is a massive stretch.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He made the wrong call at QB. It sucks, but it happened. They better start thinking about how to improve it now. Draft a QB in round 2 if one falls. I’d take Eason just for the upside. Draft another in round 1 next year. And keep drafting a QB until the position is figured out.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
You can argue either way on whether Trubisky was the consensus top QB among those covering the draft. It's irrelevant. Just like it's irrelevant what I thought at the time.

Pace made a bold call picking a QB he liked and he missed. I praise the balls - I remember at the time being happy he took a QB, even if I wanted Watson, but my second immediate thought was "he better be right". He wasn't.

What's revisionist is going back and looking at what a bunch of journalists thought and giving a GM a retrospective pass on the biggest decision our franchise will take in a decade. That's truly idiotic.

LOL! You think it was just journalists who had Trubisky as the top prospect???? It was people such as scouts who know a helluva lot more about football then you.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
a 10 man QB Competition
just like what nagy did with the kickers.

really..the offensive line obviously. RG and a Tackle. Sign and draft (x2 players)
Playmakers for the TE spots. sign and draft (x2players)
Replace Floyd and Lynch sign and draft (x2players)
Double down on the QB competition along with Trubisky. sign and draft (x2players)

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
That still doesn't excuse the trubisky bust.

Yep. And fans don't get paid millions of dollars to make the call. I don't know what world some fans live in when they think that journalist draft grades should factor in more than the actual results of the GM's decisions.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Who's crying. Our GM blew the pick?

I don't blame him for not taking Mahomes but passing on Watson was unforgivable.

Watson wasn't some slam dunk prospect either. This is some major revisionist history

Are u familiar with Watsons "resume" of accomplishments?

Beating Alabama doesn't make you a slam dunk prospect

Otherwise tim tebow , johnny manziel, cardale jones, and chad kelly would be dominating in the pros right now

Watson was a better Qb than those guys. I liked Tebow and Manziel. They did come with issues.
Kelly pleaded guilty to misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing for the incident .

Like Mitch, Jones didn't have the experience. Watson did lots of positive things as a Qb, so I don't get what throwing out those names have to do with a conversation about Watson's total body of work at Clemson .

Watson was a experienced winner and leader with no " personal issues". He played in 2 Nat'l Champ. ( and went 1-1) He lifted that Clemson O in clutch situations many times. There's more to Watson than, as u say "Beating Alabama".....which was more of crescendo to a brilliant career at Clemson.

There's no such thing as a "slam dunk prospect" IMO. Every Qb goes through a learning curve, which depends on coaching and what talent the team has who drafts him.
-------------------------------

Side note: I read where agents pay certain ppl. in the media to "pump & promote" certain Qb's ( I'll have to look for the article). I know certain Qb's are pushed vs others. I've seen it happen over the years with Qb's like Tim Couch and Cade McNown just to name a few. I saw it with Mayfield and as well, as with Mitch.

But the savvy observer who follows football, knows to NOT listen to the " pundits, talking heads", the so called
"NFL experts", "the unnamed scouts" etc. ? The savvy observer looks at games, film of Qb's as well as, performance & accomplishments .....then comes to a personal conclusion.

Last edited: