What should Bears do at QB in the off season?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Mahomes can read a defense so he wouldn't struggle with this offense. Russell Wilson has pretty much always had a average o-line but is smart and mobile.
Foles had plenty of time to throw. Colts are a very good defense so they were always going to get pressure from time to time. The issue was receivers not getting open or missed opportunities.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Foles had plenty of time to throw. Colts are a very good defense so they were always going to get pressure from time to time. The issue was receivers not getting open or missed opportunities.

Yeah he was just off. I saw at least 2 or 3 plays where Foles and Montgomery weren't on the same page and had Foles thinking Monty was gonna do something but Monty was thinking he was supposed to do something else. Now of course we have no way of knowing who was in the wrong on those plays but maybe it's actually a good thing cause it means Foles just needs another week or two to get to know the plays and the offensive players and they need to get that time to know him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fire Pace and Nagy

Neither has shown any ability to draft or coach QBs.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Fire Pace and Nagy

Neither has shown any ability to draft or coach QBs.
I don't think they are going anywhere unless there is a total collapse the rest of the season. This team lacks QB, RB, WR, OT on offense. Montgomery is a quality RB but just does not make enough plays. Bears need a 3rd tall and fast WR to compliment Robinson and Mooney. Someone like Aiyuk, who I really liked in this last draft.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Draft a QB every year until we have a top five QB. Little else matters in the long term besides the position. If taking a new QB somewhere every year means our defense and offensive supporting cast as marginally less talented, so be it.

This is the right line of thinking though. The trade off though is you're sacrificing the quality of talent around the guy which doesn't maximize his chances of developing into a top #5 QB

The right strategy today is to over-invest on offense so that player is in position to have success from day 1 and worry about piecing together a defense once you already know you have a top 10/5 QB

That way you maximize your chances of one of those QBs turning into something special

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

No way the Oline was terrible yesterday and needed help all day just to block 4 guys . They had been solid the first 3 games but were really bad yesterday . When you have to keep extra guys in to help block a 4 man rush you cant attack the seams or games properly in the cover two.

With Cohen out for the season Nagy should be trying to build the confidence of Wims and Kmet even if he has to have 3-4 playcalls designed to get them touches because you will need them this season . Instead he tries featuring Ginn and Harris which makes no sense as they should be extremely situational weapons.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP. There are two options as I see it. Go with a FA or draft a QB. Foles is not the long term answer. If they want to draft a guy and let him sit for a year under Foles, fine. But then what happens when Foles is 2-4 and the fan base is screaming for the new kid in town? Or, try to get a free agent. Prescott is the only guy I see that isn't long in the tooth. But with a top level FA QB they are going to pay and that will affect other issues salary cap wise.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
No way the Oline was terrible yesterday and needed help all day just to block 4 guys . They had been solid the first 3 games but were really bad yesterday . When you have to keep extra guys in to help block a 4 man rush you cant attack the seams or games properly in the cover two.

With Cohen out for the season Nagy should be trying to build the confidence of Wims and Kmet even if he has to have 3-4 playcalls designed to get them touches because you will need them this season . Instead he tries featuring Ginn and Harris which makes no sense as they should be extremely situational weapons.

Really, at this point, you have to try to get some of these rookies and younger players confidence.

It may also be a chance to work more Patterson in, and get him more touches as well.

But, yeah, I think FA and draft is better spent on O-Line, especially if you can bring the Trubisky/Foles tandem back relativeley soon.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
To the OP. There are two options as I see it. Go with a FA or draft a QB. Foles is not the long term answer. If they want to draft a guy and let him sit for a year under Foles, fine. But then what happens when Foles is 2-4 and the fan base is screaming for the new kid in town? Or, try to get a free agent. Prescott is the only guy I see that isn't long in the tooth. But with a top level FA QB they are going to pay and that will affect other issues salary cap wise.

Agreed.

And if there are not fixes on the O-Line and at RB, then that new QB is in the same bad spot.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Free Agency is not a real option unless you think Cam or Dak leave and that isn't happening.

They need to draft one and hope.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Trade whatever we can on both sides of the ball for draft picks. Draft Trey Lance. Let the rebuild begin with a new coaching staff and GM.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Free Agency is not a real option unless you think Cam or Dak leave and that isn't happening.

They need to draft one and hope.

The free-agent move needs to be for the best RB on the market. Look for some O-Line help. Extend Robinson to a non-cap-busting deal. Give Trubisky a 3-year, $27 million deal. If the new RB and O-Line help fix most of the issues, the Bears have a bargain. If not... they're not out much and can cut him, while dealing Robinson for picks.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Send Mitch and Foles down the road. Start over with the draft. No more vets.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Mahomes can read a defense so he wouldn't struggle with this offense. Russell Wilson has pretty much always had a average o-line but is smart and mobile.
Good points but i must say Mahomes isnt throwing 50td passes in this offense and RW wouldnt last an entire season with all the running he`d have to do.

Weebey Brice

Formerly Caleb Williams/Weebay
Liked Posts:
I say, stand pat with Trubisky and Foles, and look for a developmental-type QB in the 4th to 6th rounds. Both Trubisky and Foles have had good games this season, and I think the issue is more RB and to an extent, O-Line, not QB. If the Bears had signed Adrian Peterson, I think they're in much better shape.

Cohen and Patterson are not full-time RBs. You can line them up, they are dynamic return threats, they can explode when they get the ball, but they're not guys you can hand the ball off to 10-15 times a game, much less 20.

What the team will need is a way to get more picks. The first option, trade down. Multiple times, if need be. At First-Pick.com, I often can trade down from a mid-first to get 2-3 more second-round draft picks. A top 10 pick can be leveraged to get as many as 4 more. If someone blows me away with a wealth of picks for Robinson, I'll go with that, but ideally, I sign Robinson to an extension.
Stand pat with Trubisky/Foles? Are you serious? Thank god you’re not running this team.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Idk, it kinda sounds like a Pace strategy.....

There won't be a good free agent - Dak and Cam will likely stay where they are.

The draft is a while unknown - and at 3-1, the Bears may have to trade up, and I'd prefer to keep picks to get a better supporting cast.

Really, I'd look for the best LT, RG, and RB I can get in free agency and the draft, slide Leno to RT, make Montgomery the #2 RB, and stick with Trubisky and Foles. I've got a decent, mobile game manager QB in Trubisky (provided he has a top RB behind him), and Foles is the best backup QB in the league. Maybe I look for another mobile-ish QB to develop in the draft, if Trubisky either decides he wants a change of scenery or if the Bears want to commit to Foles and get a good enough O-Line.