What Theo needs to do in 2018

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The whole Baez / Happ thing seems so puzzling.

I like what Happ did in his rookie season, but average at best D with HRs snd a .250 average vs Javy’s GG-caliber D (this year’s snub notwithstanding)? Javy batted what .270+? And people never stop dogging him for K’s. Happ hit 20 points less and also K’s.

Both are good players. I just think Javy has a much higher ceiling.

Well the other angle that can be played here is move Heyward, KB to right, Baez or Happ to 3rd. That was where they were going with Happ before they promoted him. But if the real plan is getting Harper, then no.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They don't need to shuffle payroll and they wont be staying the same...

Adding a 34 YO Samardzija who an under .500 and over 4 ERA pitcher doesn't help your team..
just as bad as adding brett anderson

They don't need to shuffle payroll and they wont be staying the same...

Adding a 34 YO Samardzija who an under .500 and over 4 ERA pitcher doesn't help your team..

Melancon gonna cost 20 mil for next 3 yrs age 34 to 36...

You prefer paying a reliever that money to see if he bounches back over a 27 YO MVP caliber player...[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

What it does is add 1 of the 2 SP needed. This pushes Hendricks into the 2 role. And it adds a vet into the pen. Again more of a stability issue.

I see it as Hendricks is a premiere SP in the majors and I’m seeing Maples just taking the closer gig anyways.

But what that move does is let’s them dedicate resource to middle relief and looking for a lead off. I’m even ok with a platoon lead off with Almora.

But that is a better solution then off loading the homegrown/affordable talent vs offloading a disappointment.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well the other angle that can be played here is move Heyward, KB to right, Baez or Happ to 3rd. That was where they were going with Happ before they promoted him. But if the real plan is getting Harper, then no.

Happ did play some at 3B but looked clumsy there. Baez makes plays Bryant can’t.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But anyways. The biggest problem they ran into last year was outside of Davis the pen blew chunks. Dumping resourse into getting equal production from 2 SP and a closer is not addressing the core problem.

Now the new pitching coach and hitting coach were a smart move but that doesn’t address a lack of raw talent in these roles.

2nd issue was the merry go round lead off. They are going nowhere with out that stable

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Equating Samardzija to Anderson is just plain silly. Shark had really good numbers in 2017 and posted a 3.8 WAR. In fact he's never posted less than 2.5 WAR as a starter. Anderson on the other hand only posted over 2.5 once in his career and that was in 2009. Samardzija had a 8.88 K/9, 1.99 BB/9 and a 1.14 WHIP. His ERA was high because he pitched for a bad team. This guy is a good, solid 4 who more often than not pitches like a 3. If you did get him the 3/$60 left on his deal would be better than market value and again comparison to Anderson is nuts. That all said he's not my first choice and the proposed deal with Heyward going for Shark and Melancon makes little sense on the Giants side. I'd take that deal tomorrow as although I have my doubts about Melancon you're out from that deal in 3 years and every indication is taht Samardzija will continue to be a productive pitcher for at least 2 more year maybe all 3.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The whole Baez / Happ thing seems so puzzling.

I like what Happ did in his rookie season, but average at best D with HRs snd a .250 average vs Javy’s GG-caliber D (this year’s snub notwithstanding)? Javy batted what .270+? And people never stop dogging him for K’s. Happ hit 20 points less and also K’s.

Both are good players. I just think Javy has a much higher ceiling.

Javy ceiling gets less and less attainable with every year of 500 PA and no discenrable improvement. Happ is almost two years younger who has only one year (2017) at AAA or higher and while the batting average was low, Happ was a rookie who struck out a ton but he showed a good enough eye to walk and actually showed playable power. If he cuts down the Ks, he could be a high value hitter with the kind of power he showed. Add in some base stealing value and the fact Happ is a solid defender at 2B that is tough to compare to Javy, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Ian Happ has the better career.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Happ is a 35/yr HR hitter and he will be a better player that Baez

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Javy ceiling gets less and less attainable with every year of 500 PA and no discenrable improvement. Happ is almost two years younger who has only one year (2017) at AAA or higher and while the batting average was low, Happ was a rookie who struck out a ton but he showed a good enough eye to walk and actually showed playable power. If he cuts down the Ks, he could be a high value hitter with the kind of power he showed. Add in some base stealing value and the fact Happ is a solid defender at 2B that is tough to compare to Javy, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Ian Happ has the better career.

To date, Javy has had one season with 500PA, while playing different positions defensively.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez: better D. SO are a wash. Hits more. Can’t take a walk. Can toss into the seats when he is over his head

Happ: better walk rate but lower BA. D weaker in general but can field all 3 OF.

Both can hit 30 HR’s. Baez had to cut power to cut his SO’s down. Happ we don’t know yet.

Baez has readjusted back to the league. Happ still has his sophomore slump ahead of him

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Samardzija and Melencon won't come anywhere near replacing what Arrieta and Davis gave the cubs..
adding those 2 would be pre 2015 cubs when they took on pitchers they hoped to trade at deadline...Flippers

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
I don't know why anyone would consider Shark as Arrieta's replacement. He would be Lackey's replacement.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't know why anyone would consider Shark as Arrieta's replacement. He would be Lackey's replacement.

No. I would see it as:

Lester
Hendricks
Q
Shark
Open

Pen
Melencon closing to start
Wilson
Montgomery
Strop
Edwards
Maples

That leaves 1 SP slot and 2 BP spots for investment. They could go after Minor to close and push Melencon into the 8th then add a 2 inning MR to stabilize the middle innings. That would cost 15 mil next year then sign a 1 year. Honestly Lackey would be a option in that situation as he has been here and if he has issues they have Tseng in AAA.

As far as Shark is concerned I see him as a innings soaker for the most part. He is a 4 and he would be that here.

Anyways it has more to do with moving Heyward and opening playing time. To move that deal it would have to be in a bad contract swap.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No. I would see it as:

Lester
Hendricks
Q
Shark
Open

Pen
Melencon closing to start
Wilson
Montgomery
Strop
Edwards
Maples

That leaves 1 SP slot and 2 BP spots for investment. They could go after Minor to close and push Melencon into the 8th then add a 2 inning MR to stabilize the middle innings. That would cost 15 mil next year then sign a 1 year. Honestly Lackey would be a option in that situation as he has been here and if he has issues they have Tseng in AAA.

As far as Shark is concerned I see him as a innings soaker for the most part. He is a 4 and he would be that here.

Anyways it has more to do with moving Heyward and opening playing time. To move that deal it would have to be in a bad contract swap.
They aren't standing pat with Lester and Hendricks at 1 and 2. Every season is precious.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They aren't standing pat with Lester and Hendricks at 1 and 2. Every season is precious.

I get that. But I’m not sure if they will send over what it will take to land Archer. From what I’m seeing it will cost 2 MLB roster players. And I’m talking Schwarber and either Happ or Baez. That is to even be competitive.

With that in mind it makes more sense to shed a bad contract

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I get that. But I’m not sure if they will send over what it will take to land Archer. From what I’m seeing it will cost 2 MLB roster players. And I’m talking Schwarber and either Happ or Baez. That is to even be competitive.

With that in mind it makes more sense to shed a bad contract
Why are you fixated on Archer?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is the only guy that is a upg to Hendricks. Nola had one good year. That is not a track record

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Equating Samardzija to Anderson is just plain silly. Shark had really good numbers in 2017 and posted a 3.8 WAR. In fact he's never posted less than 2.5 WAR as a starter. Anderson on the other hand only posted over 2.5 once in his career and that was in 2009. Samardzija had a 8.88 K/9, 1.99 BB/9 and a 1.14 WHIP. His ERA was high because he pitched for a bad team. This guy is a good, solid 4 who more often than not pitches like a 3. If you did get him the 3/$60 left on his deal would be better than market value and again comparison to Anderson is nuts. That all said he's not my first choice and the proposed deal with Heyward going for Shark and Melancon makes little sense on the Giants side. I'd take that deal tomorrow as although I have my doubts about Melancon you're out from that deal in 3 years and every indication is taht Samardzija will continue to be a productive pitcher for at least 2 more year maybe all 3.
Cubs werent interested in extending a 28 YO Samatdzija..
Why would they pay a 33 to 35 Samatdzija 20 mil per the next 3 years?
Rather spend a little less and get a younger guy like Cobb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk