What Theo needs to do in 2018

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
A starters mentality is not the same as a bull pen arm’s. A starter is more about establishing the strike zone early then widen it as the game goes on. A bull pen arm is looking for the strike out and has little pitch count concerns.

As a starter he would have to depend on fastball command and he has one of the highest spin rates which translates to pitch movement. Then he would have to establish 2 secondary pitches to complement. He already has a plus breaking pitch and a cut fastball might induce easy outs which he will need.

Even if it's a different mentality the last year he was starting in the minors(2014) he had a bb/9 of 3.94. That's just not good enough. He'd be out after 4-5 innings in most starts.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Hed be a DH LFer and maybe 1B eventually..

I think an AL team looking for some extra power would love to have his bat in lineup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm not discounting his bat just saying if you're going to give up someone worth Schwarber/Baez you want more than a LF/DH and maybe a 1B. For example if you're hypothetically talking Archer you want a core piece to build around at a premium position. You rarely build a team around a DH. Maybe you argue that Ortiz was built around but they acquired him for next to nothing and built around other players to start.

Pure and simple it's why you almost never see 1B/LF players go in the top 20 picks in the draft and why SS/CF and 3B are almost exclusively what teams draft in the top 10.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not discounting his bat just saying if you're going to give up someone worth Schwarber/Baez you want more than a LF/DH and maybe a 1B. For example if you're hypothetically talking Archer you want a core piece to build around at a premium position. You rarely build a team around a DH. Maybe you argue that Ortiz was built around but they acquired him for next to nothing and built around other players to start.

Pure and simple it's why you almost never see 1B/LF players go in the top 20 picks in the draft and why SS/CF and 3B are almost exclusively what teams draft in the top 10.
I get that...

My guess if it would be for Archer or any team giving up a SP like Archer, im sure will be looking to get a pitching prospect or 2 in return with Schwarber

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I get that...

My guess if it would be for Archer or any team giving up a SP like Archer, im sure will be looking to get a pitching prospect or 2 in return with Schwarber

Trading schwarber for prospect isn't going to happen. Team is built to win now. You don't trade someone who's productive for your team now for someone who may help you 2-3 years from now. I'm not even sure trading for someone like Snell who's in the majors but not really established yet is viable for someone like Baez/Schwarber. You make this move for someone who's proven and only that in my eyes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even if it's a different mentality the last year he was starting in the minors(2014) he had a bb/9 of 3.94. That's just not good enough. He'd be out after 4-5 innings in most starts.

That might be a good thing with the way the game is changing. Having him go 4-5 regular and piggybacking Monty after him would push the game onto the set up and keep the MR out of the game.

Something like:

Lester (6 inning on avg) puts 3 on the pen.
Q same thing.
Hendricks same thing.
Then Edwards and Monty could end up a 5/3 and give the pen a day off.
Tseng? Really don't know here.

But in general we are seeing this evolution of a piggyback starter and Joe has even talked about a shift in the game moving in that direction. Theo tends to be a trend setter and Joe loves the out of the box approach and honestly it could happen.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Trading schwarber for prospect isn't going to happen. Team is built to win now. You don't trade someone who's productive for your team now for someone who may help you 2-3 years from now. I'm not even sure trading for someone like Snell who's in the majors but not really established yet is viable for someone like Baez/Schwarber. You make this move for someone who's proven and only that in my eyes.
Who said for prospects?

I said Schwarber and a SP prospect or 2 for Archer or a SP like Archer

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Who said for prospects?

I said Schwarber and a SP prospect or 2 for Archer or a SP like Archer

Read it wrong my mistake. Thought you said prospect for schwarber rather than with.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definetly need a new pen. With the exception of Davis and Duensing

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Serious question... if you're another team who has a young starter you're considering dealing why would you go for Schwarber? I mean I'm probably his biggest proponent here but I think it's a legitimate question. Simply put, Baez is a far safer trade target because at the very least you know what he has floor wise and if he ever figures out a better plate approach his ceiling is just as high. Plus he fits a much wider range of team needs. Schwarber is maybe a LF for other teams and that's it. Baez can play 3 positions that are typically pretty thin in 3B, SS, and 2B.

If people don't want to trade Baez I get it. But I also think if you're being serious about acquiring young pitching you need to come to grips with the fact it's going to hurt. There aren't any more Eloy Jimenez's in the cubs system. I don't think Schwarber gets that sort of trade done with any team. Some teams perhaps buy into the bat enough but I'd wager a majority of teams are going to ask for Baez first. Given Happ's year some might even ask for him before Schwarber. And maybe you can work a deal around Happ but I frankly think teams are going to want more.

Well, I never said they would. I just wouldn't trade Baez personally. Don't really want to trade Happ either.

millerjg01

Liked Posts:
Your Edwards comment is very intriguing to me.

I don't see it with him right now. Starters get in trouble, they have to have the chops to get out of trouble and log innings. Some of the best starters in the game are actually better when they get into a jam. Edwards folds like a house of cards when he gets in trouble. Pass

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't see it with him right now. Starters get in trouble, they have to have the chops to get out of trouble and log innings. Some of the best starters in the game are actually better when they get into a jam. Edwards folds like a house of cards when he gets in trouble. Pass
Thanks, Theo.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I could not believe that moron Kaplan last night saying we need a power bat. ALL WE HAVE ARE POWER BATS. We need the guys getting on base ahead of them. And no, that is not new people. That is a hitting coach that gets the guys to change their approach. I do not care if you can hit the ball 500 feet, you do not use all three strikes trying to do it.

Javy hit two home runs on absolute unhittable pitches for 90% of ball players, Down, in, on the shoes. Get him to drive that low outside pitch to right field and he can be your leadoff guy. As bad as people rode him, he did hit .270.

Happ is our new Zobrist, just instead of playing second or a corner, he can play second and all outfield spots.

As much as you hate me saying it, Schwarber needs to be the backup catcher until the deadline. I still think that is missing from his game. You have no confidence in him to play his position, he loses confidence in his hitting.

Bryzzo can be the coveted power bats, but I also want them to catch shit pulling a ball into shifts every fucking at bat.

That is the ***** in this armor. You see where ground ball outs are where no fielder should be, short right field or up the middle. Just hit it where they ain't.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Based on what? What you 'see' with your eyes or statistical data? Last time I looked, defensively, he isn't very good at all.

He's just below league average in LF defense. His UZR of 3.4 of is slightly above league average. No one is trying to say he's a great fielder, but he isn't awful either even if he does make an awful play from time to time.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He's just below league average in LF defense. His UZR of 3.4 of is slightly above league average. No one is trying to say he's a great fielder, but he isn't awful either even if he does make an awful play from time to time.
I thought a more athletic LF could have caught one of the HR that just went past the wall, but what do I know.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I thought a more athletic LF could have caught one of the HR that just went past the wall, but what do I know.

I would agree with that. You can do better in LF, but if he hits like he did in the second half, or hopefully better, you can live with it. If he hits like the first half you cannot.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've said this before but Schwarber's defense is best described as consistent but limited. By that I mean he's fairly consistent in making plays but he doesn't really have the range you'd like to see. So it's a bit of good and bad with him. He rarely just flat out blows a play. If he can get to a ball he usually makes the play. But it's more difficult for him to get to balls in the alleys. And he's got a strong arm when he does get to balls which is a plus. the long and short of things is you basically just have to play around his limited range. If you do that he's fine out there. Hopefully with Almora and Heyward out there you can cover gaps a bit better.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You pay a guy to play LF for his bat. Anything close to avg or better D is just icing. It is pretty much the Sori rule of thumb. You know he is a adventure but he will carry the team on his back for a 2 week stretch.