What to do at edge rusher?

Washington

Liked Posts:
What you failed to mention in this is that 26% of the sacks produced by the 7th ranked sacking D last year were by guys that are no longer on the team and were, essentially, replaced by Lynch and Fitts. That may work, it may not.

As for people "chirping [about] failing to address EDGE despite it being a weak draft for the position..." While top end talent was thin for pass-rushers, there was value at each level that the Bears passed on:

Landry went at 2:9 (two picks after Daniels)
Carter at 3:2 (easier trade up than Miller)
Hubbard (not really a rusher, but an edge setting SAM) at 3:13 (same as above)
Sweat at 4:30

I don't expect any of those guys to be studs; but they'll probably end up contributing more than the Houston/McPhee/Young that they'd replace in the rotation.

As usual, Pace et al identified the guys/positions they wanted and went to get them. But to say they didn't leave some value on the table at a position of need is kind of homeristic.

I was really hoping Pace would take Landry there in the 2nd. It would have been good value but Daniels was value too. It was be fun to watch it all play out.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace said he isn’t done which indicates to me something isn’t secure and he will make some kind of small splash move to solve it if something didn’t fall to him.

I’m fine with Irving, Fitts, Acho rotating to their strengths, but I expect something near the front of that rotation will be found in cuts or added in small trade. Other than RT/OLB what could they realistically hope to upgrade?

Something interesting will be added via FA or a small back roster trade. Imo

Washington

Liked Posts:
The point about Bears being low in pressures while still 7th in sacks is valid.

I'll figure that Bears didn't blitz nearly as much as Philly or others...instead, playing it a bit safer since they didn't have the talent to cover and prevent blitzes from being burnt because, well, they don't yet have the talent to have a high rate of success while blitzing. Hence, need for another Edge guy to secure the spot.

Wheels are in motion and there's parts to work with and can be relatively successful while in progress. Cool to see. Getting there.

But our coverage was very good last year with Fuller and Prince and the safeties were better too. I personally just find Fangio's D to be very boring. It is not an attacking D. It is performant, but boring.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is not getting solved this season. It is going to be something Fangio needs to coach around all year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Three guys can do the job, and my expectation and belief is still that a FA, June 1st type cut, 53 man prune down( udfa or someone else’s) or 6th round pick type trade will bring us a pass rush toy to try over there.

We will see, but Pace has indicated with history and attitude he probably does something.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You have to hope that Lynch and Fitts/Jones/Irving can combine for 10 sacks. If Lynch can get to the 6 sacks he had with Fangio that is a doable number between that group.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, Lynch, Irving, Fitts, Acho.

I mean that’s over the limit of what you even keep already. I forgot about Lynch.

It’s a solid group, maybe they sniff a FA but don’t have a need. It’s fine. Especially when unnamed OLB is the star.

I think Lynch turning his ankle in OTAs his third practice just before draft made me freak out a bit.

If both Lynch/Fitts are hospital guys then you draft high in 2019. I’ll stop worrrying until they drop.

I would prioritize Hankins adding dominating reps to interior to rest both Hicks/Goldman as priority over a guy like Barwin who moves an Acho or Irving off roster.

I guess Hankins is the last move I vote for. I think the interior could rotate and absorb a lost player or two for week or weeks when necessary and ensure Smith is always protected.

hester247

Liked Posts:
I am going outside the box a bit , but I heard pre-draft rumors of Cardinals looking to trade Chandler Jones. I know we are short a 2nd rd pick next yr but I totally be ok with trading a 4th or 5th pick next yr for him

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I am going outside the box a bit , but I heard pre-draft rumors of Cardinals looking to trade Chandler Jones. I know we are short a 2nd rd pick next yr but I totally be ok with trading a 4th or 5th pick next yr for him

No way they trade him for a 4th or 5th. He had something like 15 sacks last year and is only 27. Plus they gave up a 2nd round pick for him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Vic Fangio called out for not getting more from Leonard Floyd

Amazing as it sounds, not all of the blame for this is falling on Floyd himself. One NFL exec believes some of it should be directed at the coaching staff. Jeff Hughes of Da Bears Blog, the same man who tipped off the hiring of Harry Hiestand earlier this year, was told that Vic Fangio and his staff haven’t done the job in developing Floyd properly.

“VIC IS A GOOD COACH BUT THAT STAFF IS NOT DOING A GREAT JOB WITH FLOYD. ALL OF HIS SUCCESS IS BASED ON ATHLETICISM BUT HE STILL PLAYS UNDISCIPLINED. BUT IF HE STAYS HEALTHY HE CAN STILL BE A DOUBLE-DIGIT SACK GUY. DO THEY HAVE ANOTHER RELEVANT RUSH GUY?”

Part of the problem may center around the upheaval at the outside linebackers coach position. When Floyd was drafted in 2016, Clint Hurtt was his coach. Under his direct tutelage, Floyd had seven sacks. Last year though Hurtt departed for a job elsewhere. Rather than hire a replacement, Fangio declared he’d take over direct control of the outside linebackers himself.

It didn’t work out. Floyd made no notable progress with 4.5 sacks in 10 games before suffering his freak knee injury. It appears Fangio may have felt that was a mistake. This off-season the Bears hired Brandon Staley to take over as the new outside linebackers coach. While a bit of an unknown coming from Division III college, Staley developed a reputation for coaching up pass rushers. In 2014 his defense averaged 4.5 sacks per game.

Multiple top prospects including Bradley Chubb and Marcus Davenport singled him out by name as somebody they liked instantly when talking about their Bears visits. It’s possible Floyd might be in good hands this year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Isaiah Irving could be the Bears surprise contributor in 2018
Isaiah Irving flashed in the preseason before an injury ended his 2018 regular season campaign.
Matt Eurich - 16 hours ago 1

Each and every year there is someone on the Chicago Bears roster who comes out of nowhere to become a major contributor. The Bears have seen an undrafted free agent like Cameron Meredith become a real threat in the passing game in 2016 and Jordan Howard went from a sixth-round pick into a Pro Bowl running back that same season. There are already a handful of players on Chicago's roster who have the potential to become surprise contributors during the 2018 season.

When looking on the defensive side of the ball, the first name that stands out is outside linebacker Isaiah Irving. A four-year contributor at San Jose State between 2013 and 2016, Irving played defensive tackle, linebacker and defensive end during his time with the team. In those four seasons he recorded 139 tackles, 22.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. He notched 45 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and seven sacks in his senior season. Despite the strong showing in his senior year, Irving went undrafted last offseason.

After getting limited opportunities in the first two preseason games last year, Irving made the most of his final two opportunities last preseason. In the third game against the Tennessee Titans he recorded one tackle and one sack. He backed that up with three tackles and two sacks in the preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns. He did enough to convince the team he was worthy of a practice squad role before he got the call-up to the 53-man roster in early October. He made his debut in Week 6, appearing in just one snap. Between Week 7 and Week 11 he played just four snaps before taking on a larger role in Week 12 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

He finished that game with two tackles before he was eventually placed on injured reserve with a knee injury. Despite not showing a whole lot in his rookie season, the Bears must feel good about his potential considering the fact that the organization did very little to address the outside linebacker position this offseason. Chicago moved on Pernell McPhee and Willie Young and replaced them with Aaron Lynch and sixth-round pick Kylie Fitts.

With a full offseason under his belt under defensive coordinator Vic Fangio and outside linebackers coach Brandon Staley, Irving could be a surprise contributor this season.

Last season he showed he can play with solid pad level and that he has an impressive first step. He will need to bulk up this offseason as he tends to get pushed around by bigger, stronger offensive linemen and tight ends. In order to be an every-down linebacker he will need to also improve against the run. His hand usage and ability to dip his hips are what makes him some an intriguing option for the Bears at the outside linebacker this season.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Colts signed Chris McCain.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls