When will you have true confidence in the Bears

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree it will take more than a year.

Honestly? Year 3. And along the way, playoff victories this year and next, with at least one year advancing to the conference championship.

Because it will take 3 years for this offense to be up to full speed, and anyone who has been paying attention knows the offensive line of the Bears needs help, particularly in the interior.

If the Bears can win a playoff game this year, and advance to the conference championship this or next year, and then be on their way to the playoffs in year 3, then I would say we can finally let go of the past.

Kind of an interesting perspective. Makes me wonder if people were thinking the same thing for the Bears 1984 season...

In my opinion the window starts to close at year three without a QB like Rodgers or Brady. Teams with great defenses like Seattle, Baltimore, & NYG (SF didn't win with Kaepernick) etc, you don't have as much time because you have to be able to keep the band together and healthy.

Teams that are a perennial SB contenders have Brady or Rodgers...maybe Brees to an extent.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Consistency is the key.

One playoff run; one good year; one hit wonder—all good and a fun buzz.

But greatness—that lies in consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Consistency is the key.

One playoff run; one good year; one hit wonder—all good and a fun buzz.

But greatness—that lies in consistency.

Oh, and as for confidence, I am constantly confident in my adoration of this team and support of it.

I am creeping close to gaining confidence in us being in every game. I will be significantly more confident when they prove this vs Rams.

But, good thread cause, I am not quite there yet.

I wonder, thinking aloud, are Rams fans over or under confident as well?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh, and as for confidence, I am constantly confident in my adoration of this team and support of it.

I am creeping close to gaining confidence in us being in every game. I will be significantly more confident when they prove this vs Rams.

But, good thread cause, I am not quite there yet.

I wonder, thinking aloud, are Rams fans over or under confident as well?

If I am a rams fan, I am pretty concerned going in to the playoffs... Goff has played mistake free football and still been forced to squeak out some close wins.
To advance against the better teams, Goff will need to be perfect.
Their offense impresses the shit out of me but that defense is shit. one bad turnover can destroy the rams.

I do not find it to be too much of a stretch to see the bears take them to the wire and possibly win. They generate turnovers and will bring more pressure than Goff has seen.

I was reading the pass protection for goff wins more than any team in the league (percentage of plays giving him 2.5 seconds plus in the pocket).
The bears will not allow that, and I am interested to see how he reacts.

...edit- here is the number- " The offensive line ranks No. 1 in pass-block win rate, defined as when a pass-blocker sustains his block for 2.5 seconds following the snap. The Rams have won 63 percent of their pass blocks"

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
In today’s NFL it really is an ‘any given sunday’ sort of situation. For the past few years however the bears have failed to hit that measure. I feel that the bears have finally hit that point. I don’t think they should or will beat the rams, but looking at the match up with trubisky in the game I see it being competitive, and if the bears win I will not be shocked.

I think a lot of people are comparing the bears to dynasties like the patriots, Steelers, or the packers. If that is the bar to measure success then I feel many posters on this board will not be happy until they see YEARS of success. As a fan I think that is a totally legitimate expectation from the franchise. However, we can’t expect to fee any kind of ‘trust’ or ‘faith’ in this team based on one season, and to expect otherwise is a mistake IMHO.

My expectations with this season was 8-8 with a shot at the playoffs. So far they have exceeded my expectations. They beat the Vikings once, lions twice, and they have another shot at vs the packers at home.

I think criticisms on the coaching and the play are all fair, but people need to step back for a second and see the bears are in first place with a shot at the division and they have a CLEAR path to the playoffs.

It’s a bit much to expect consistency from a team with a first year HC, and a second year QB. Trust is going to take years. It’s also a bit unfair that this team has to dig themselves out of a deep hole of years of ineptitude due to the failings of an organization that took place before nearly 99% of the current regime was even in place.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
What I would imagine as well. The crazy Rams vs KC offensive explosion hints at what “everyone” wants to see, and that offensive torque will outrun most...

BUT, we know different. Something about D and championships.

Plus... what if we can play on that O torque game as well.

That said, Rams were ‘all that’ on D last year, so maybe they’re not so bad after all, either ‘game’

Bottom line, a different game coming this weekend. Get your dancing shoes on!

BigAl1965

Liked Posts:
What I would imagine as well. The crazy Rams vs KC offensive explosion hints at what “everyone” wants to see, and that offensive torque will outrun most...

BUT, we know different. Something about D and championships.

Plus... what if we can play on that O torque game as well.

That said, Rams were ‘all that’ on D last year, so maybe they’re not so bad after all, either ‘game’

Bottom line, a different game coming this weekend. Get your dancing shoes on!

With the star KC running back being suspended, I'm not sure KC will be as high scoring?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Before this season started for me. I liked the new coach and young QB and the talent Pace added. I had no doubt we would be a WC team or better. Next year will be even better. I don't pay attention to the past it has nothing to do with our current situation. I go by the talent I see at that moment.

clear

Liked Posts:
Detroit pretty much kept the Rams in check through 3 quarters.

Bears defense is miles better. Game is outside and in the cold. Goff is not mobile, and the Bears have a great run defense and pass rush.

I think many are going to be surprised this Sunday night!

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
I will have true confidence for the season when we win our first playoff game.

I won't have overall confidence this is a SB contender until Mitch becomes a top 5-7 QB in the league which could take years or possibly never happen. I'm not saying Mitch is bad, it's just some of the other QB's in the league are just that good. Brees, Brady, Wilson, Mahommes, Rivers, Ryan, Goff, Luck, Big Ben, Rodgers most would agree give your offense a better chance to score points than Mitch right now and most of those guys will be in the playoffs.

Over the years, in the playoffs, the Bears have always run out of steam because our QB can never keep up. Bears have never had a 300 yard passing game by any QB in playoff history.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Whenever I fully trust Trubisky. I still don't trust him to not make two incredibly stupid throws a game.

mecha

Liked Posts:
was reading posts, stopped at the part where Lovie Smith had multiple playoff seasons.

Lovie Smith seriously had 2 seasons. 2. his playoff "success" was in a vacuum. and in one of those affairs they went one and done with what was arguably the more superior of the 2 defenses. I genuinely don't want to hear about Lovie Smith ever again. not playoffs, not 2010 when they had a chance to knock the Packers out and not only let them back in, but they won the Halas trophy at Soldier Field and a fucking Super Bowl. not the 10-6 season where he was omgfired, none of it. Jerry Angelo outsmarting himself and Bob Babich fucking the defense up until Julius Peppers and Rod Marinelli derailed them then.

what puts them back on the rails? I would say beating teams they should beat. by a lot. and win playoff games.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
was reading posts, stopped at the part where Lovie Smith had multiple playoff seasons.

Lovie Smith seriously had 2 seasons. 2. his playoff "success" was in a vacuum. and in one of those affairs they went one and done with what was arguably the more superior of the 2 defenses. I genuinely don't want to hear about Lovie Smith ever again. not playoffs, not 2010 when they had a chance to knock the Packers out and not only let them back in, but they won the Halas trophy at Soldier Field and a fucking Super Bowl. not the 10-6 season where he was omgfired, none of it. Jerry Angelo outsmarting himself and Bob Babich fucking the defense up until Julius Peppers and Rod Marinelli derailed them then.

what puts them back on the rails? I would say beating teams they should beat. by a lot. and win playoff games.

Lovie Smith was a calm and rational coach. But he didn't have much imagination at all offensively, Bears fans would have fainted out of shock if Lovie ran something like Nagy did the last play of regulation. Cutler was so brutal in key games and moments overall. Not Lovie's fault Cutler ended up making such bad decisions. If those Bears teams had Mitch and Nagy things could've turned out differently. Gotta have all the pieces in place.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
If they win a play off game this year I will have 100% faith in the bears moving forward. Until then I’m like at 75%. I have faith but still some worries.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It would help if people read and comprehended. Here is what I said.

Win multiple playoff games across several seasons. Remember Lovie went to the playoffs several times so for me it is about showing you can take several different teams iterations of the Bears to the playoffs. That is the only way to prove this is a sustained effort and not merely the same thing we saw under Angelo and Lovie.

The point about Lovie was not to say he had great success. It was to say that I didn't consider Angelo and Lovie's rein to be one of sustained success. Rather it was peaks and valleys. So the point is, when we can show sustained success rather than Lovie dragging the same cast of characters essentially through his playoff appearances then that will give me confidence.

Reading comprehension is truly a lost art.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some things that I need to see before I have complete confidence in them.

Trubisky not missing easy throws

Sustained success through multiple years and not be a one year flash in the pan like Jacksonville or (possibly) Philadelphia. Defenses are going to have an offseason to figure out how to stop Nagy's offense. Can he adjust to this to stay ahead or will he be exposed? I'm also curious how the players and coaches handle success if the Bears do well in the playoffs. Will they constantly party and not put in the same effort because they automatically ASSume they're going to win or will they keep the same business as usual approach and keep doing what makes them great? It will also be interesting to see what happens with Trubisky's contract a few years from now. Will he be willing to negotiate a fair contract to allow the team to remain competitive or will he be greedy and want as much money as possible, success of the team be damned.

I'd also like to see Nagy eliminate some of the head scratching decisions i.e. throwing on 3rd down in the end of the GB game, not throwing on 3rd down in the Miami game, the timeout against the Giants etc. I'd like to see them at least split the games against the best teams on their schedule and beat Green Bay consistently. This isn't the NBA. Losing consistently to a one man show in the NFL is not acceptable. Lastly I want to see the Bears do a better job of closing out games and not doing seemingly everything to make them as close as possible.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
10 wins this year, even with a first round exit, makes me a believer.

Hell, I’m already almost there. How could you not be? A chance at a10/11-win season and a huge step forward by your sophomore quarterback—If you’d have told me about that before the season, I wouldn’t have believed it. Yes, there have been ups and downs. But this appears to be just the beginning of this iteration of the Bears. I believe in the coach, the young quarterback, the other players on the field, and what we’ve seen so far.

For the first time in a long time, I believe. I believed at 3-3 that the Bears were going to rip off a streak. I believe now even after the Giants loss that the Bears are going to beat the Packers and 49ers to get to 10 wins, wrapping up the division and 3-seed before Week 17 even happens.

All that said, a win against the Rams would be nice.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
It would be great if the exact same ? was posed before the regular season began and we could contrast what is said now with those answers.

People's expectations are wild.

Then again, who really knows what "true confidence" means.