When will you have true confidence in the Bears

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well I would think considering how Lovie's run is remembered, Nagy would at least need to beat that no? So 1 playoff appearance isn't going to cut it. For me it needs to be like what Pitt has ie a structure in place whereby every year they contend even when goes are lost because they continually replenish the talent of the team.

If the goal is not to become a perennial playoff contender then not sure the point.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We have to be able to prove that we can beat elite teams, we need to prove that we own this division, and we need to dumpster shit teams. We have 4 chances in the next 4 weeks to prove all of that.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Some things that I need to see before I have complete confidence in them.

Trubisky not missing easy throws

Sustained success through multiple years and not be a one year flash in the pan like Jacksonville or (possibly) Philadelphia. Defenses are going to have an offseason to figure out how to stop Nagy's offense. Can he adjust to this to stay ahead or will he be exposed? I'm also curious how the players and coaches handle success if the Bears do well in the playoffs. Will they constantly party and not put in the same effort because they automatically ASSume they're going to win or will they keep the same business as usual approach and keep doing what makes them great? It will also be interesting to see what happens with Trubisky's contract a few years from now. Will he be willing to negotiate a fair contract to allow the team to remain competitive or will he be greedy and want as much money as possible, success of the team be damned.

I'd also like to see Nagy eliminate some of the head scratching decisions i.e. throwing on 3rd down in the end of the GB game, not throwing on 3rd down in the Miami game, the timeout against the Giants etc. I'd like to see them at least split the games against the best teams on their schedule and beat Green Bay consistently. This isn't the NBA. Losing consistently to a one man show in the NFL is not acceptable. Lastly I want to see the Bears do a better job of closing out games and not doing seemingly everything to make them as close as possible.

excellent post. PS how ya been?

dakbear

Liked Posts:
As mentioned before I will start trusting this team when the defense starts closing out games in the second half. Here are some second half defensive stats from our four losses: (4-7-1) Packers, 24 pts, 274 yards, 3/4 3rd downs. (6-6) Dolphins, 24 points, 387 yds, 4/9 3rd downs. (9-3) Patriots, 17 points, 211 yds, 3/7 third downs. (4-8) Giants, 20 points, 223 yds, 5/10 3rd downs. The Dolphin and Giants games include the overtime period which was 3 points in each game. You can maybe forgive Rodgers and Brady but certainly not Osweiler and Eli Manning. Really not good performances by the defense in second half’s of these games. The defense has the talent to fix this problem but it has not happened yet.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's not how I've ever understood the definition of several. But either way, 3 times out of 9 isn't really good. Not sure why you would use Lovie's playoff record as a barometer. I'd hope you'd want this current coach to go more than that.

I don't think you read the statement correctly.

Win multiple playoff games across several seasons. Remember Lovie went to the playoffs several times so for me it is about showing you can take several different teams iterations of the Bears to the playoffs. That is the only way to prove this is a sustained effort and not merely the same thing we saw under Angelo and Lovie.

The point was Lovie went to the playoffs several times so merely going to the playoffs a few times is not saying anything. I want sustained success which the bold is contrasting sustained success with Lovie and Angelo which was not sustained success.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The eye test tells me that they are a really good team right now. Week to week, I don't fully trust any NFL team.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Deep playoff run for multiple seasons.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Trubisky with a full season
2. MORE than a winning record.
3. Playoffs, especially a win.
4. Sustain, keep players, less turnover.

I have seen the floor, and what I think is the ceiling, and it's looking pretty good. Still some holes on this team, but I'm close right now. Like Nagy. Like the play calling. Like Trubisky. WRs aren't bad. RBs aren't bad. DEF is stout. So, close.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If I am a rams fan, I am pretty concerned going in to the playoffs... Goff has played mistake free football and still been forced to squeak out some close wins.
To advance against the better teams, Goff will need to be perfect.
Their offense impresses the shit out of me but that defense is shit. one bad turnover can destroy the rams.

I do not find it to be too much of a stretch to see the bears take them to the wire and possibly win. They generate turnovers and will bring more pressure than Goff has seen.

I was reading the pass protection for goff wins more than any team in the league (percentage of plays giving him 2.5 seconds plus in the pocket).
The bears will not allow that, and I am interested to see how he reacts.

...edit- here is the number- " The offensive line ranks No. 1 in pass-block win rate, defined as when a pass-blocker sustains his block for 2.5 seconds following the snap. The Rams have won 63 percent of their pass blocks"

Not even remotely surprised about the win yesterday.

#calledthatshit.

Seattle and denver showed Goff could get rattled, Chicago took it and ran with it.

Goff will from here forward face the same type of game plan teams drew up against Grossman and Cutler... pressure them and make them melt.

Feels kind of nice to see it from the other side.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I have true confidence in the Bears right now, because it's now clear they can beat anyone, and they can do it even when the offense plays like shit. Because this defense is that good.

Hey look, the Bears could come out next week and lose to the Packers. They could come out the first round of the playoffs and lose to the 6-seed. But they could just as easily find themselves leading a game in the divisional round.

This season is bonus. This season is gravy. This team is a Super Bowl contender.