Who to replace Meredith to play Opposite AR12?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This is a very deep WR class in this draft to where we could find a good one with our 1st pick all the way to our 5th rounder or even later with how good Pace has been at finding players in the mid to late rounds and even as UDFA's like Meredith. I would love someone different then AR12 on the other side which i didn't think Meredith was even though i did want him back. Someone who can beat their guy deep with speed or take a crossing route to the house. This Vyncint Smith kid in the article i posted below sounds really interesting. I've never heard anything about him until this article so if anyone knows anything about him then lets hear it?

1st with trade down--C.Ridley, DJ Moore
2nd--C.Kirk, J.Washington, A.Miller, DJ Chark, E.St Brown
3rd-4th-5th--M.Gallup, D.Hamilton, D.Pettis, D.Cain
=======================================================

Ryan Pace has decided to not match the New Orleans Saints’ offer sheet to Cameron Meredith. So, where do the Chicago Bears go from here?
In what can only be described as a puzzling move, Ryan Pace decided not to match the New Orleans Saints’ offer to Cameron Meredith. As a result, the Chicago Bears let a talented, homegrown player leave without getting anything in return. This is because Pace placed an original-round tender on him. Had he placed a second-round tender on Meredith, the Bears would have received a draft pick in return.

Instead, Pace determined Meredith’s knee injury was too concerning to warrant the guaranteed money the Saints offered. If Pace always had concerns about his knee, then what was the purpose of placing an original round tender on Meredith in the first place? The only explanation is that Pace never intended on bringing Meredith back.

Aaron Leming

@AaronLemingNFL
#Bears current depth chart at WR looks something like this:
WR1- Allen Robinson
WR2- Taylor Gabriel
WR3- Kevin White
WR4- Josh Bellamy
WR5 & WR6- ????

They'll head into the draft one injury away from disaster again. Expect a high(ish) pick at WR.

As a result, Ryan Pace created an unnecessary hole and turned a position of strength into a position of need. He now has to address the wide receiver position, with limited draft capital. The Bears know better than any team how important wide receiver depth is.

They currently have two receivers coming off significant injuries, so it’s critical that they add another to the mix. Where do the Bears go from here? We take a look at some options to replace Meredith through the draft, as well as a potential free agent signing.
================================================================

Draft Prospect Anthony Miller, Memphis
Anthony Miller is a diminutive wide receiver, measuring 5-foot-11, 190 pounds. However, the 2017 All-American is an extremely elusive wide receiver, who has the ability to get separation. While he may not be considered a big-bodied receiver, he plays bigger than he is.

He has the ability to win jump-balls against bigger defensive backs and can easily adjust to the football when it’s in the air. Another invaluable strength of Miller’s is that he is an excellent route runner, as shown below.

Jonathan Valencia
@JonValenciaBF
I forgot how fun Anthony Miller is to watch. Love this route from him on the stop-and-go. Loose hips with deceptive feet to catch his man leaning. Immediately turns his head as he works up the sideline.

Miller was an extremely productive wide receiver in college. During his junior year, Miller caught 95 passes for 1434 yards (15.1 avg) and 14 TDs. He followed up that performance with an incredible senior campaign, hauling in 96 balls for 1462 yards and (15.2 avg) and 18 TDs.

Another one of Miller’s strengths is his ability to accumulate yards after the catch. From that standpoint, he would figure to fit in well in Matt Nagy’s “Spread Coast” offense. Miller could take those inside slants, or wide receiver screens and turn them into huge gains. Either way, the Bears would welcome a wide receiver with his playmaking ability.
==============================================================

Draft Prospect DJ Chark, LSU
There is an incredible amount of depth at the wide receiver position in the 2018 NFL Draft. Perhaps that’s why DJ Chark is not getting the attention he should. The wide receiver out of LSU has elite athletic ability and could be just what the Chicago Bears need.

He is almost the exact same size as Cameron Meredith. Chark is 6-foot-3, 199 pounds while Meredith is 6-foot-3, 207 pounds. However, Chark is much faster, having posted a 4.34 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine.

@BleacherReport
DJ Chark is special, and the No. 1 WR in the draft, says @CSimmsQB

Chark also has the ability to create separation, which is key in Nagy’s style of offense. In fact, Lance Zierlein’s scouting report calls this out as one of his strengths. According to Zierlein his build-up speed and long strides create winning separation on West Coast routes.

The Bears could certainly use another great route-runner to compliment Allen Robinson. Taylor Gabriel is more of a speedster, and we all know Kevin White and Josh Bellamy have not been known for their route-running prowess.

After an impressive week at the Senior Bowl, people began to take notice of Chark. However, he still isn’t being talked about as one of the top receivers in this draft by many. That could be because at times he can be inconsistent. However, that can be said of many college receivers.

An added benefit of drafting Chark is that you’d also be getting a punt returner. Chark returned punts in college and with his blazing speed, he could be an effective weapon on special teams. With a limited number of picks, Chark’s ability to contribute on offense and special teams would present good value.
============================================================

Draft Prospect Deon Cain, Clemson
One of the players the Chicago Bears chose to meet with at the NFL Combine was Clemson wide receiver Deon Cain. Cain is another fairly big receiver, standing 6-foot-2 and weighing 202 pounds. He turned in a fairly decent performance at the Combine, running a 4.43 40-yard dash, whereas Meredith ran a 4.42 and a 4.45 at his pro day.

Cain also appears interested in playing for Chicago. He told Chris Emma of 670 The Score that he feels he would be a great asset to the Bears. He obviously believes he could contribute right away. And why wouldn’t he?

He was extremely productive while at Clemson. He finished his career with 130 receptions, 2,040 yards, and 20 touchdowns. Not only was he productive, but he put up those stats in a variety of ways. Cain also had the luxury of learning behind former Clemson star Mike Williams, which no doubt had an effect on him. He has all the makings of a quality wide receiver.

In fact, if you take a look at Lance Zierlein’s scouting report of Cain, he seems like a perfect fit to step in and fill the hole vacated by Meredith.

Cain is a classic Clemson receiver with a good combination of size and speed and an underappreciated feel for the position. Cain’s routes are smooth, but also show an understanding of coverage. Cain has the pure speed to attack over the top, but he should be a competitive option on all three levels. His drops are more a function of concentration than ability, but it needs to be improved. Cain has the chance to become a very good NFL starter but is better suited to handle the WR2 rather than a role as the alpha target.
Many want to typecast him as a deep threat only. Of course, Cain has an uncanny ability to get behind the defense. However, he is more than a player who can take the top off a defense. He also has the ability to make people miss once he gets in space. As Erik Lambert calls out below, he also has good vision after the catch.

People think Deon Cain is a one-trick pony as a deep threat. His game is much better than that. It's not just straight-line speed with him. He's got quickness and agility. Not to mention good vision after the catch. #Bears

One potential concern is that Cain did have some off-the-field issues early in his college career. He failed a drug test his freshman year and was sent home prior to Clemson’s semifinal matchup against Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff.

However, Cain seems to have put that incident behind him and has grown from it. In fact, he bounced back the following year with an impressive five catch, 94-yard performance against Alabama in the 2016 National Championship game.
============================================================

Draft Prospect Vyncint Smith, Limestone College
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about an under-the-radar prospect out of Limestone College in South Carolina. Since that time, Vyncint Smith has continued to gain recognition as an intriguing option in the latter half of the draft — and rightfully so.

Smith dazzled at his pro day, which he participated in at the University of South Carolina. He ran a 4.36 40-yard dash, and his vertical was nearly 40 inches. Both of those results would have been second among all wide receivers at the NFL Combine behind the aforementioned DJ Chark.

The idea of putting a guy like Smith alongside Allen Robinson is certainly enticing. It would give the Chicago Bears two legitimate deep threats. However, not only is Smith someone who can beat his man deep, but he can go get the football.

Smith also has a tremendous attitude. When I spoke to him earlier this month, I asked him what he would bring to an NFL team. He stated:

“I think I can fit anywhere you want to put me, whether that’s in the slot, on the outside, or on special teams. I think I have great attention to detail to go along with my work ethic, speed, and size.”

That kind of attitude would fit in well in any locker room.

The only reason he is not being talked about more is the fact that he went to small Division II school. If Smith had played at a Division I school, even in a non-power conference, people would likely be talking about him as a mid-round prospect. As it is, he is slowly making his way up the draft board. He has had private workouts with the Jets, Lions, Falcons, and Cowboys, and other teams are taking notice.

However, he has a special connection with a current Bears assistant. Smith’s college head coach was the current Bears wide receivers coach, Mike Furrey. Certainly, Smith is not flying under the Bears radar. Furrey has likely given Pace an in-depth scouting report on the hardworking, blue-collar prospect. He could be the next small school steal for Ryan Pace.
=====================================================

Free Agent Jeremy Maclin

As mentioned earlier, the Chicago Bears have a limited number of draft picks. They also have a number of needs that they need to fill through the draft. Specifically, they need to add an edge rusher and upgrade their offensive line. Arguably they also need to add depth to their secondary.

By letting Cameron Meredith walk, Pace created an additional need. However, with the free agent additions of Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, and Trey Burton, Pace could choose to pursue a “stop-gap” this year. If Pace chooses this route to replace Meredith, he will likely look to pursue someone who can come in and contribute quickly to buy Pace an extra year to address the void.

One player that would fit this profile is former Kansas City Chief, Jeremy Maclin. In fact, Maclin played for the Chiefs in 2015 and 2016 when Nagy was on their coaching staff. Of course, that means Maclin would be familiar with the offense Nagy hopes to install. Additionally, he would be another asset to help the rest of the offense (including Mitchell Trubisky) learn the new system.

Maclin is obviously on the downslope of his career, but he can certainly be a serviceable option. He would also provide depth in the event of an injury to one of the Bears’ current wide receivers. Moreover, many Bears fans would likely feel more comfortable with Maclin than Josh Bellamy, or even Kevin White for that matter.

Bottom Line
Ryan Pace hopefully has a plan to replace Cameron Meredith. His decision to let a homegrown talent entering the prime of his career will certainly be scrutinized. It will be lambasted if he doesn’t find a suitable replacement. He has options, but the clock is ticking.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You kind of hit it early when you said that you'd like someone that brings a different skill set to the table then AR to start across from him. If you were designing an innovative, creative offense like Nagy described in interviews, you'd want multiple kinda of players on the field to disguise your intent. I think that was the idea, and that Meredith was pencilled in as AR's primary backup. That's why I'm not too alarmed (though I am disappointed) and also not calling WR a hole for this team just yet. I say that because, in my view, backups aren't "needs" but instead are "wants."

I mock Miller to us, as he had the "get deep" speed quality that appears to be valued, as Gabriel is paid a decent amount to do just that.

If the offense is to be centered on a base 2-TE alignment like I suspect, then I'd bet that AR starts in the X, with White backing him up, and Gabriel starting across from him with Miller (or whatever other draftees you mock) backing up there. The slot is going to primarily be Burton's responsibility, with Cohen, White and Miller (or other rookie) coming in there for diversity.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Chark, St Brown or Cobbs. All are big WRs that paired with Robinson would create mismatchs. You throw in Gabriel in the slot when we go to 3 wr set and its a pick your poison if you are the D coordinator.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'd like to see Chark, St Brown or Cobbs. All are big WRs that paired with Robinson would create mismatchs. You throw in Gabriel in the slot when we go to 3 wr set and its a pick your poison if you are the D coordinator.

Nagy described the "U" tight end position, which is what Burton is slated to play, as primarily a slot weapon. I think Gabriel is going to line up on the outside more often than not, with Burton in the slot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You kind of hit it early when you said that you'd like someone that brings a different skill set to the table then AR to start across from him. If you were designing an innovative, creative offense like Nagy described in interviews, you'd want multiple kinda of players on the field to disguise your intent. I think that was the idea, and that Meredith was pencilled in as AR's primary backup. That's why I'm not too alarmed (though I am disappointed) and also not calling WR a hole for this team just yet. I say that because, in my view, backups aren't "needs" but instead are "wants."

I mock Miller to us, as he had the "get deep" speed quality that appears to be valued, as Gabriel is paid a decent amount to do just that.

If the offense is to be centered on a base 2-TE alignment like I suspect, then I'd bet that AR starts in the X, with White backing him up, and Gabriel starting across from him with Miller (or whatever other draftees you mock) backing up there. The slot is going to primarily be Burton's responsibility, with Cohen, White and Miller (or other rookie) coming in there for diversity.

I've been on the A.Miller train for a while now and have been calling him a A.Brown light type WR. It's a really deep WR class which i think also had a lot to do with letting Cam go along with fit and the injury. I wanted him back as well but to have our top two receivers both coming back from serious knee injuries with Cam's being the more serious with the ACL and MCL would be a big chance to take. I'm gonna wait this out before i get too mad about not bringing him back to see how he fills that spot. If Pace doesn't fill that spot then i'm gonna be very disappointed but i've also been saying that this team still needs one more off season to really finish this rebuild so the WR2 spot doesn't absolutely have to be filled this off season but i'd rather it was or at least Pace takes a shot in the draft at filling it with a later pick.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This offense is likely to focus on TEs and RBs more than WRs. And that is regardless of what we do or don't do at WR in the draft. Some seem to think we need 6 quality WRs to make the offense work. But Martz is no longer our OC....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This offense is likely to focus on TEs and RBs more than WRs. And that is regardless of what we do or don't do at WR in the draft. Some seem to think we need 6 quality WRs to make the offense work. But Martz is no longer our OC....

We don't need 6 quality WR's but we definitely need more then the 1 AR12 and a half T.Gabriel that we have now.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Devin Aromashadu?

Ramses Barden?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If Dallas cuts Bryant I would offer him a contract

I just hate his diva attitude but i can't say i'd hate having him on the team especially if it's a one maybe two year contract on the somewhat cheap.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

We have 1 legit starting caliber WR coming of a injury. One injury to him and our TE's and run game will be far less effective as teams will swarm the box again.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That would be most teams if they lose their #1 WR...

Yes, but thats not what he posted. He said we have one legit starting caliber WR. Which depending upon your view of TG is true.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
which potential draft pics compare to Knox? I think in this system that would be ideal

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yes, but thats not what he posted. He said we have one legit starting caliber WR. Which depending upon your view of TG is true.

There's no doubt Gabriel is a WR. They paid him expecting him to be. And although Burton is listed as a TE, he's basically a big WR...