Who to replace Meredith to play Opposite AR12?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If the Bears draft a wr high in the draft he will be given every chance to start.

I'm not thinking they will draft a WR high with the addition of B.Fowler and with them hoping to see something from K.White. I know Fowler's only a #3 most likely #4 WR but he played a lot of slot with Denver and played on the outside some and K.White has now basically had 2 years to heal his shin and fibula injuries so although many have given up on him we really don't know what we'll get from him if he can stay healthy. I can see them still drafting a WR in the mid rounds if there's one sitting there that's high on their board and wouldn't mind if they drafted one in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd, if we trade down for a 3rd, but don't think they will. I also think they'll grab some UDFA WR's and bring some vets in to compete with Bellamy, White and Fowler and think T.Gentry will be competing as well. We also have Cohen and Burton who will be playing some slot.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The Bears are showing Courtland Sutton a lot of attention. He was listed as a Halas Hall visit and they worked him and Quinn out in Dallas yesterday.

Bears Have Shown MASSIVE Interest in This Top Draft Receiver

Want some advice? Start paying close attention to any Chicago Bears Courtland Sutton rumors. Okay, that might seem a little vague. Perhaps some context is needed, yes? It started last week when the Bears made the surprising decision to allow Cameron Meredith to sign with the New Orleans Saints. Their refusal to match his restricted free agent offer sheet came under heavy scrutiny.

Meredith, presuming the eventual good health of his injured knee, would’ve made a perfect reserve option alongside new additions Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel. With him gone, the Bears currently have Kevin White or Josh Bellamy slotted for that job. That’s not something that will enthrall the fanbase going into 2018.

It’s for this reason expectations were significantly raised going into the NFL draft. Wide receiver didn’t look like a glaring need before. Now it does. Interest in the top names this year has drastically increased. So who could they be honing in on? Based on the sheer volume of meetings, one name has emerged above all others.

Chicago Bears Courtland Sutton buzz should be louder than it is
Courtland Sutton is a bit of a mystery in the draft community. That’s no surprise since he comes out of SMU, a school that isn’t typically a hotbed for top NFL talent. However, it does have a history of producing quality receivers. Their most recent success story is two-time Pro Bowler Emmanuel Sanders. So teams became interested when Sutton began to emerge over the past couple years. One of them appears to be the Bears.

According to Aaron Leming of Bear Report, the team has met with Sutton twice already leading up to the draft. The first came during a 15-minute session at the scouting combine and then again during a private workout.

Aaron Leming

@AaronLemingNFL
By my count, the #Bears have used 25 of their 30 private visits. Here's an updated list of all the prospects they've had contact with so far. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13hCZm11dVroyz9Y8OQMAEQHcmorvqDIRv5BW1X4_wG0/edit?usp=sharing

This alone would indicate their interest in him goes deeper than typical intrigue. Yet it doesn’t stop there. New reports have surfaced that the Bears were well-represented down at the SMU pro day where they took to working out Sutton again alongside his teammate, Trey Quinn.

Billy Embody

@BillyEmbody
Former #SMU WRs Trey Quinn and Courtland Sutton currently being worked out by the Chicago #Bears on SMU’s practice field.

So why are the Bears so infatuated with him?
Sutton is not one people might think would be a target for this new Bears offense. Head coach Matt Nagy seems to have placed a heavy emphasis on more speed and precise route running. Sutton, at this point at least, does not possess either of those things in abundance. His game is about size (6’3″), strength, good hands and body control. He would be viewed as a strong red zone target. The 31 touchdowns he scored in three years for SMU proves that.

Yet there may be another reason the Bears have become enamored with him. An NFC scout explained to NFL.com.

“HE’S GOT TO GET QUICKER AND LEARN TO SEPARATE OR HE’S GOING TO BE WEARING COVERAGE AROUND THE FIELD. HE’S VERY MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY TOUGH SO I THINK HE’LL GET IT FIGURED OUT.”

Physical talent is great. It often determines the ceiling of a player, but the Bears don’t just want that. They want players who are as good or better between the ears. They want smart players. Players of high character. Increasing info around the league suggests that Sutton is making that sort of impression during meetings and workouts. He certainly sounds like a guy who fits the “Bears Box.”

Current projections say he’s likely to go either late in the first round or early in the second. Chicago holds the #39 pick in that range. If Sutton falls to that spot, it might be a good idea to keep his name in mind when the Bears go on the clock.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Listen, i promise you it was just a joke and it's been an ongoing joke on here for as far as i remember which i'm not sure how you haven't seen it on here every once in a while because i've seen it plenty of times. I meant no harm to you or anyone with it and apologize if i did any harm to you or anyone with it. As you can see everyone else knew it was a joke and most of them don't even like me and still knew it was a joke.

Whatever man I am not upset you don’t have to apologize but your Gesture is genuine and humble which I have respect for and I most posters here won’t even come close to this . We all good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Washington

Liked Posts:
Listen, i promise you it was just a joke and it's been an ongoing joke on here for as far as i remember which i'm not sure how you haven't seen it on here every once in a while because i've seen it plenty of times. I meant no harm to you or anyone with it and apologize if i did any harm to you or anyone with it. As you can see everyone else knew it was a joke and most of them don't even like me and still knew it was a joke.

I gotta back db70 here. I don't know how his comment could be construed as anything but a joke. The "racism" comment has been a joke here as long as I have been here. PB77, you used the word White 100 times and db70s comment was either coming from him or someone else. I have never seen such an overreaction on CCS, well other than when Slauson was released...

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Sure, but rookie receivers are risky bets. Last year 32 receivers were drafted and 4 managed 40+ catches. So the odds aren't great.
But since 2014 fourteen wr's taken in the first two rounds have had between 47 to 92 receptions in their rookie years plus two more very close at 37 and 38 receptions. The draft is risky no matter who you take.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The Bears are showing Courtland Sutton a lot of attention. He was listed as a Halas Hall visit and they worked him and Quinn out in Dallas yesterday.
That would be such a Pace pick that no one saw coming on a trade back or if Sutton hit #39.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
But since 2014 fourteen wr's taken in the first two rounds have had between 47 to 92 receptions in their rookie years plus two more very close at 37 and 38 receptions. The draft is risky no matter who you take.
There was an earlier post I made looking just at early R2 WRs in Y1 (I dont personally see them going WR R1, but stranger things have happened)-

WRs from R2P1 to R2P16 for the last 5 drafts.

NameRecYardsTD
Zay Jones273162
Curtis Samuel151150
Sterling Shepard656838
Michael Thomas921,1379
Devin Smith91151
Dorial Green-Beckham325494
Devin Funchess314735
Marquise Lee374221
Jordan Matthews678728
Paul Richardson292711
Justin Hunter183544
Robert Woods405873
Median31.5447.53.5

That median WR would rank 129th in receptions, 95th in yards, and 71st in TDs. If you don't have Michael Thomas, most rookie WRs taken around that point just aren't that good Y1.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

Of course, but historically the riskiest positions to draft early are receiver, d-lineman and running back. I'm not saying they shouldn't draft a receiver early, but expecting them to start is unrealistic, especially in a weak class.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Of course, but historically the riskiest positions to draft early are receiver, d-lineman and running back. I'm not saying they shouldn't draft a receiver early, but expecting them to start is unrealistic, especially in a weak class.

You think this is a weak WR class? I think it's a strong class especially with the WR's being projected to go from round 2 on.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I've been on the A.Miller train for a while now and have been calling him a A.Brown light type WR. It's a really deep WR class which i think also had a lot to do with letting Cam go along with fit and the injury. I wanted him back as well but to have our top two receivers both coming back from serious knee injuries with Cam's being the more serious with the ACL and MCL would be a big chance to take. I'm gonna wait this out before i get too mad about not bringing him back to see how he fills that spot. If Pace doesn't fill that spot then i'm gonna be very disappointed but i've also been saying that this team still needs one more off season to really finish this rebuild so the WR2 spot doesn't absolutely have to be filled this off season but i'd rather it was or at least Pace takes a shot in the draft at filling it with a later pick.
That's gotta sting.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White White Kevin White

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ooof.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
Anthony Miller is producing at the level that most 2nd rd receivers do . I get the hate but he’s far from a the bum that people on this forum make him out be. When he’s inevitably cut it’ll be interesting to see what numbers he puts up when he doesn’t have the two worst starting QBs in the league throwing him the football.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Anthony Miller is producing at the level that most 2nd rd receivers do . I get the hate but he’s far from a the bum that people on this forum make him out be. When he’s inevitably cut it’ll be interesting to see what numbers he puts up when he doesn’t have the two worst starting QBs in the league throwing him the football.
Do you think he's an Antonio Brown-light type of WR like @dabears70 thinks?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I agree that he can still be a good WR for a team/head coach that can get his head right. I've already made it known in other threads that i was a big Miller fan and besides the dumb shit he's done and some bad drops he's still shown some good things as well. He'll end up somewhere for sure and if wherever that is has a legit QB then this kid will be just fine.

Thanks for bringing this thread back.