Who to replace Meredith to play Opposite AR12?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
And yet they are better at WR. According to every single media source I’ve read or heard. They’ll draft another and maybe get yet another after cuts, to kick the tires. Let’s not start shitting ourselves yet.

Did they say better then what? Better then other NFL teams? Better then the worst set of WRs in NFL history? Better then what? WR is still a major weakness and that's before injury's start to pile up. Did we learn nothing last year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Or maybe, just maybe, BaBa is not getting the idea from some posters but from Matt Nagy himself...

Now, am I making any promises? Absolutely not. But I will tell you this, we’re going to give that kid every opportunity possible.”
Just because he will give him every chance to succeed, it doesn't mean that he is relying on him. White will be given the opportunity to naturally find his WR ranking.

If he is amazing, he will win the #2 receiver position. If he runs poor routes, is slow and drops the ball, he will be fighting for a roster spot. Like Nagy said, absolutely nothing has been promised to White.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Add two names. Willie Snead, now that they have Meredith, I doubt the Saints would match an offer from the Bears and may even drop their tender offer.
Christian Kirk, football fast, very quick and great hands. If he’s there in round two, it should be a no brainer to pick him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Checked out a few clips of Vyncint Smith and the kid looks electric. Its against small school defenders so its hard to project, but he dominated the field. Plus it turns out Furrst our WR coach was his college coach. Might be a 4th-5th round steal.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I do agree, Pace is being hamstrung by his commitment to White.

Furthermore, how does White (when healthy) even fit in the offense? He gets no separation and doesn’t run a full route tree. This team should have all but moved on from him this offseason.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we draft a WR in the top 2 rounds will you still feel that way?

No, but I would also like to address LG and OLB.

One of those positions just got dropped into Day 3.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Furthermore, how does White (when healthy) even fit in the offense? He gets no separation and doesn’t run a full route tree. This team should have all but moved on from him this offseason.

When is he ever healthy?

It doesn’t even matter what he can or cannot do on the field. He is never on the field.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
When is he ever healthy?

It doesn’t even matter what he can or cannot do on the field. He is never on the field.

Well yes. I was just pretending to further the argument. The argument really does stop at White not being healthy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
WTF? White! We were always going to draft a WR so we'll see how the draft falls but really, White!

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Nagy described the "U" tight end position, which is what Burton is slated to play, as primarily a slot weapon. I think Gabriel is going to line up on the outside more often than not, with Burton in the slot.

I think yes and no. Gabriel will play outside some, but not cuz Trey's in the slot all the time. Nagy will mix and match that stuff, imo. I'd like to land Christian Kirk, myself. He is like a Greg Jennings/Steve Smith kind of guy. He's tough and runs a 4.4 40.

Nagy could implement a nightmare quick offense with Kirk and ARob on the outside, Gabriel and Burton in the slots, and Cohen in the backfield.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Kevin fucking White is going to be opposite of AR.
No rookie in this draft has the talent to start day one period. Gabriel is not a two Nd never will be he is fast but Is not that talented look who he had throwing to him in Atlanta. That should tell you were he fits
White with his injuries still has the talent to be a 1 if he can stay healthy that will be the key so all you but hurt Homers don’t want to except that Nagy like white Nd his is going to give him every possible chance to thrive. Get over it lol you guys are looking like babies here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
which potential draft pics compare to Knox? I think in this system that would be ideal

That guy Vyncint from Limestone college is Fast and relatively unkonwn...4.36 40 and a BIG Vertical + 6'3

They should go for Christian kirk in the 2nd AND Vyncint in the 5th.....We cannot depend on any percentage of KWhite especially not 75%

BearsG35

Liked Posts:
Anthony Miller or DJ Chark in the draft will do. As much as I think Pace made a mistake in not getting Cam Meredith back he was kinda over hyped by alot of bears fans. Pretty sure he can be replaced.

wisconsinbearsfan

Liked Posts:
We should get a WR in the 4th or 5th round imo. Pace does better in those rounds anyway.

We can address edge rush and OL with the first two picks depending on BPA.

My ideal draft by position assuming bpa and no trades would be:
1. Edge rush (even if Nelson is there, still not worth #8 to me)
2. OG
4. WR
5. OLB
6. DL
7. CB/S

More of my late picks are on defense, but we made less moves in FA on defense, plus I'm a defense guy.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We should get a WR in the 4th or 5th round imo. Pace does better in those rounds anyway.

We can address edge rush and OL with the first two picks depending on BPA.

My ideal draft by position assuming bpa and no trades would be:
1. Edge rush (even if Nelson is there, still not worth #8 to me)
2. OG
4. WR
5. OLB
6. DL
7. CB/S

More of my late picks are on defense, but we made less moves in FA on defense, plus I'm a defense guy.

I tend to agree with that draft. Hoping we can trade down in the 1st or 2nd and pick up another pick...

Speed

Liked Posts:
75% Kevin White? Can't wait to see what he does at 90%

e2ea72541e2606d3f1a29cb99ae1816cee301437_hq.gif

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Five wide receivers the Bears could draft to replace Cameron Meredith
By JJ STANKEVITZ April 12, 2018 1:51 PM
3 Comments
We’ll get a chance to hear Ryan Pace’s explanation as to why he didn’t match the New Orleans Saints’ offers sheet for Cameron Meredith later this month, a few days before the NFL Draft begins. Whatever the reasoning — medicals, scheme fit, money, etc. — the Bears now have a need for a receiver that, previously, wasn’t as pressing.

The Bears are still fourth in the NFL in wide receiver spending and shelled out eight-figure contracts to Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel. Those two players should be viewed as the team’s top receivers, with whoever else is brought in (via the draft or free agency) as the team’s No. 3 receiver, at best.

What the Bears want out of that guy receiver depends on a few things. Should he be a bigger, stronger outside-only guy? Should he be a diminutive, shifty slot-only receiver? Or should he be able to play both inside and outside?

Meredith has the ability to play both inside and outside, though if the Bears really were concerned enough with his medicals to let him go for less guaranteed money than they paid Markus Wheaton, that decision doesn’t offer much in the way of a clue as to scheme fit.

Maybe a better starting point is looking at what the Bears already have at receiver. Robinson and Kevin White are mostly outside receivers: A little under 20 percent of Robinson’s career routes have been from the slot; for White, he’s run a little over 20 percent of his routes from the slot, according to Pro Football Focus. Josh Bellamy is right around the same percentage, too.

And here’s where it’s worth noting the “Zebra” receiver position, where Gabriel will play, isn’t exclusively a slot position. Far from it: Only 36 percent of Tyreek Hill’s routes were from the slot in Nagy’s Kansas City Chiefs offense last year, while Gabriel actually ran a lower percentage of routes from the slot with the Atlanta Falcons than Robinson, White and Bellamy (he was at 15 percent in 2017). It’s a flexible position designed to create mismatches all over the field, even with a 5-foot-8 guy like Gabriel.

The point being: The Bears probably need more of an Albert Wilson-type player than they do a bigger go-up-and-get-it guy, since they already have him in Robinson and, if healthy, White. But Wilson hardly was “only” a slot guy for the Chiefs last year, too — 58 percent of his routes came from the slot, per Pro Football Focus.

This is a longer way of saying the Bears need someone who can be flexible to play outside and in the slot. More than likely, the Bears primary “slot” guy will be tight end Trey Burton, with Gabriel and Tarik Cohen pitching in there.

So where does this leave the Bears if they indeed wind up drafting a receiver? They have a few options:

Anthony Miller, Memphis

Miller was hugely productive as a senior for the Tigers last year, catching 96 passes for 1,462 yards with 18 touchdowns while splitting time between the slot and outside. Those weren’t one-year wonder numbers, either: As a junior, Miller had 95 catches for 1,434 yards with 14 touchdowns.

NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein projects the 5-foot-11, 190 pound Miller as a second or third round prospect, and crucially, the report on him is that he’s already a solid route runner. The biggest knock on his game is a few too many dropped passes, which shouldn’t be overlooked, and he may not carry with him a second-round grade. With the Bears not having a third-round pick, though, they may wind up over-drafting him or hoping he’s still on the board in the fourth round.

James Washington, Oklahoma State

Like Miller, Washington is another hugely productive collegiate receiver with the ability to play both the slot and outside. At 6-foot, 205 pounds, he’s an explosive threat with big-play ability, but perhaps isn’t as good a route runner as Miller or some of the other prospects in this class (which could be the product of him playing in the defense-barren Big 12 for a high-octane spread offense at Oklahoma State).

Washington, though, stood out at the Senior Bowl back in January. If he’s available when the Bears’ second-round pick comes around — which may not be the case — he’d seemingly be a good fit for what Nagy and Pace are looking for.

D.J. Moore, Maryland

At 6-foot, 210 pounds, Moore fits the profile of an inside/outside guy and is viewed as a potential Day 1 prospect. That may make him too rich for the Bears’ liking — especially if they stay at No. 8 — but could make him an option in a trade-down or Day 2 scenario.

Like Washington, he has some route-running questions, but his speed, quickness and athleticism make him an intriguing player if the Bears want to go with a receiver with one of their first two picks.

Cedrick Wilson, Boise State

The 6-foot-3, 188 pounder is built more like Meredith, but if the Bears want to address that position through a mid-round pick, they could do worse than Wilson. He may not have the physical and athletic profile of Day 1 and 2 guys, but NFL.com describes him as a “nuanced route runner,” which should help his adjustment to the league. For what it’s worth, Pro Football Focus ranks him as the sixth-best receiver in this draft class, ahead of bigger names like Equanimeous St. Brown and Christian Kirk.

Christian Kirk, Texas A&M

While Pro Football Focus indeed ranks Kirk only 10th among draft-eligible receivers, he’s the guy who could most fit the profile or being a better Albert Wilson. To wit: Wilson is 5-foot-9, 200 pounds; Kirk is 5-foot-10, 200 pounds. Wilson is regarded as a savvy route-runner who knows how to get open; Kirk flashed the traits in college to be the same at the NFL level.

The issue with Kirk is that he’s more of a projection as an outside guy, having almost exclusively played out of the slot at Texas A&M. He’s another Day 1 trade-down possibility, or someone the Bears could grab on Day 2 if he’s still on the board.