• No

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 25 32.5%

• Total voters

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Saw a couple interesting tweets today.

One shows all first round quarterbacks taken from 2015 through 2019 and clearly shows that at least half of failed.

The other was a list of quality starters drafted after the first round from 2015 through 2019 and the list consisted of Dak Prescott and nobody else.

So the “draft a qb in the 2nd (or later)” people are hoping for something that has not happened lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i said trading up for a QB in this particular situation is a waste. you already have a guy on roster who’s serviceable with a bunch of other holes on the roster. tackles need to be upgraded, Danny T needs to be replaced, we could use another safety and nickel corner, and potentially another WR and TE if robinson and graham leave. it would be much smarter to take an instant starter in the first round and take a QB in the second similarly to what Philly did with Hurts. Instead of wasting all those picks try and actually develop a QB for once.

Again your premise is wrong. 4M is not already on the roster. He will be a FA and so you will have to spend money to actually sign him. Money not already on the 2021 cap and money that could be spent to improve the team elsewhere. Your premise would have some merit if he were already under contract. He is not.

You describe all these holes but giving 4M 15 million or so is a waste because you are telling me you don't believe he is a long term solution. So instead of using that 15 million on guys who will be a part of the team long term, you want to waste it on 4M.

Let's go with your approach. So you draft a QB in the 2nd and instead of using 15 million to build a better team around him, you use it to sign a guy who is only going to be a stop gap for a year. So when Trubisky is gone in 2022 and the rookie is ready to start, you are short 15 million worth of players that could have made it easier on the rookie QB. Sorry but no thanks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ultimately though, I think whether 4M stays or goes is dependent on Pace and Nagy. If they remain then more than likely they will not want to risk their jobs with a rookie QB and will want to see if they can build on what 4M did at the end of the season.

If they are fired and a new regime comes in then more of a chance they clean house IMO. If we beat GB and win a playoff game then despite not thinking Pace, Nagy and 4M are the long term solution for this team, they would have earned another year. If they lose then I hope the McCaskey's clean house.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Again your premise is wrong. 4M is not already on the roster. He will be a FA and so you will have to spend money to actually sign him. Money not already on the 2021 cap and money that could be spent to improve the team elsewhere. Your premise would have some merit if he were already under contract. He is not.

You describe all these holes but giving 4M 15 million or so is a waste because you are telling me you don't believe he is a long term solution. So instead of using that 15 million on guys who will be a part of the team long term, you want to waste it on 4M.

Let's go with your approach. So you draft a QB in the 2nd and instead of using 15 million to build a better team around him, you use it to sign a guy who is only going to be a stop gap for a year. So when Trubisky is gone in 2022 and the rookie is ready to start, you are short 15 million worth of players that could have made it easier on the rookie QB. Sorry but no thanks.
15 million to build a team? what team are you building with $15M? For $15M you couldn’t even bring in a LT to compete with the LT you could draft in round one.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
i actually dont understand Nagy. The guy was so gun ho on running his stupid offense that he looked past the importance of playing to your steams strengths and wasted money on a vet QB. With Mitch as the starter Nagy is 25-12. Nagy should be fondling Mitch's nut sack for winning despite Nagy. We could have used that money on Arob, Floyd or another Olineman

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
15 million to build a team? what team are you building with $15M? For $15M you couldn’t even bring in a LT to compete with the LT you could draft in round one.

Don't be dumb. No one is saying you can build an entire team with 15m but I would much rather use that money on the OL than on a QB that is gone in 2022. I think we need multiple changes on the OL so I would draft a LT and use that 15m to get a very good RT or G/C. And then I would probably draft another OL. This OL is shit.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Don't be dumb. No one is saying you can build an entire team with 15m but I would much rather use that money on the OL than on a QB that is gone in 2022. I think we need multiple changes on the OL so I would draft a LT and use that 15m to get a very good RT or G/C. And then I would probably draft another OL. This OL is shit.
draft a LT when? in the first round? then you’re walking into next season with Nick Foles who was truly awful this season and a QB taken out of the first round. that sounds like a terrible idea. Again, with Mitch at least you know you have a guy who can get this team into the playoffs next season.

If you are going for quality replacements along the line you likely can only afford one with $15M.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
draft a LT when? in the first round? then you’re walking into next season with Nick Foles who was truly awful this season and a QB taken out of the first round. that sounds like a terrible idea. Again, with Mitch at least you know you have a guy who can get this team into the playoffs next season.

If you are going for quality replacements along the line you likely can only afford one with $15M.

Did you not just say you can draft a QB in the 2nd so wouldn't that leave the first round pick for LT? I think we need to go QB/LT in the 1st/2nd round. I would prefer QB then LT but depending on how the draft falls I can see LT/QB as well.

And adding a new LT and then using the 15 million for a new OG/RT is better than signing 4M IMO because again that new OG/RT will be here multiple years protecting the rookie QB while 4M will be gone in 2022 most likely.

So again, the only way 4M makes sense is if you want him as a long term solution at QB. Otherwise, every dollar you spend on him is a dollar you are taking away from protecting the actual future QB of this franchise. It seems you really are holding out hope 4M can be the long term answer but just hesitant to just come right out and say it.

How does 15m on 4M benefit this franchise long term?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Did you not just say you can draft a QB in the 2nd so wouldn't that leave the first round pick for LT? I think we need to go QB/LT in the 1st/2nd round. I would prefer QB then LT but depending on how the draft falls I can see LT/QB as well.

And adding a new LT and then using the 15 million for a new OG/RT is better than signing 4M IMO because again that new OG/RT will be here multiple years protecting the rookie QB while 4M will be gone in 2022 most likely.

So again, the only way 4M makes sense is if you want him as a long term solution at QB. Otherwise, every dollar you spend on him is a dollar you are taking away from protecting the actual future QB of this franchise. It seems you really are holding out hope 4M can be the long term answer but just hesitant to just come right out and say it.

How does 15m on 4M benefit this franchise long term?
there is no actual future QB of the franchise. the problem is you will more than likely not find one in the second round either. taking a QB in the second round and trying your hand at developing one with Mitch still there to bridge is better than trading up and using additional picks.

the off season plan should be to cut Hicks, Skrine, and Graham, which would get us close to $18M to bring Robinson back, bring mitch back at $15M, and then take a LT in round one. Take a swing at QB in the second round as an insurance policy. Quality guards are found in the middle rounds routinely.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
there is no actual future QB of the franchise. the problem is you will more than likely not find one in the second round either. taking a QB in the second round and trying your hand at developing one with Mitch still there to bridge is better than trading up and using additional picks.

the off season plan should be to cut Hicks, Skrine, and Graham, which would get us close to $18M to bring Robinson back, bring mitch back at $15M, and then take a LT in round one. Take a swing at QB in the second round as an insurance policy. Quality guards are found in the middle rounds routinely.

Those 3 cuts gets you to about 13.4 million. So still not enough to sign ARob and you still haven't created any room to sign 4M. So who else are you cutting?

So you will likely also need to cut Massie, Leno, and Fuller. That gets you about 32 million in cap space id 2 of them are designated June 1 cuts. 4M is about 15 million and let's say you can get a first year salary for ARob of 13 million. So you have 4 million left to sign 25 players and now you need a new starting CB, new LT, new RT, new starting DL.

It just doesn't fucking work dude unless the cap doesn't go down by as much as currently being projected. We are currently 6 million over the 2021 cap with 25 or so roster spots to fill. Allocating 15 million for a one year QB is just stupid as we don't have the cap for it. Again, this only works if you want 4M as a long term answer and even then you probably choosing 4M over ARob. Unless you gutting a large part of the defense.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Those 3 cuts gets you to about 13.4 million. So still not enough to sign ARob and you still haven't created any room to sign 4M. So who else are you cutting?

So you will likely also need to cut Massie, Leno, and Fuller. That gets you about 32 million in cap space id 2 of them are designated June 1 cuts. 4M is about 15 million and let's say you can get a first year salary for ARob of 13 million. So you have 4 million left to sign 25 players and now you need a new starting CB, new LT, new RT, new starting DL.

It just doesn't fucking work dude unless the cap doesn't go down by as much as currently being projected. We are currently 6 million over the 2021 cap with 25 or so roster spots to fill. Allocating 15 million for a one year QB is just stupid as we don't have the cap for it. Again, this only works if you want 4M as a long term answer and even then you probably choosing 4M over ARob. Unless you gutting a large part of the defense.
you’re right that the numbers don’t work, i hadn’t taken a close look at them, but if we could get something in a trade for hicks and fuller just do it. this defense needs to be re tooled sooner than later anyways and if it helps us hold onto robinson it’s the best of both worlds.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
It depends on what you mean by “back on the train.” His play hasn’t convinced me that he’s a long term answer, but it has made me think harder about bringing him back on a shorter term deal.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Most of the time when you step up to the plate, you fail.

I see no reason to stop swinging at QBs just because you've never hit a home run before. Because there's really no other choice if you want to win a Super Bowl.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Lot more quick hitting slants and tight ends in the seams. The O line is completely revamped as well. Notice there hasn't been any Leno hate threads lately? All the chunk runs with Monty are happening on Leno and Whitehair's side.

LT Leno
LG Whitehair
C Mustipher
RG Bars
RT Ifedi

Something that to me is damning of the current coaching staffs evaluation of their own team: replace Ifedi with Massie and this OL was available during last years dumpster-fire. Wish one of the media guys would ask Nagy "What the hell were you thinking starting Coward for 15 games?!"