Why Do Fans Overpay?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
To watch a shitty ball club in a run-down park year after year?.

No, I'm not trolling...it's an honest question. I cannot think of any other team that gets away with this. Are there really this many Cub fans across the nation?. I know there were quite a few strolling around Ft. Lauderdale beach back in 03'...in fact they out-numbered Marlin fans 2 to 1. But most of them flew in from Chicago.

What is the psychology of this "loveable losers" following that seems to be a generational disease?.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well this looks like a promising start to well thought out and civil discussion...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
To watch a shitty ball club in a run-down park year after year?.

No, I'm not trolling...it's an honest question. I cannot think of any other team that gets away with this. Are there really this many Cub fans across the nation?. I know there were quite a few strolling around Ft. Lauderdale beach back in 03'...in fact they out-numbered Marlin fans 2 to 1. But most of them flew in from Chicago.

What is the psychology of this "loveable losers" following that seems to be a generational disease?.

Because like any disease, you continue to hope that there will be a cure and up until now, we continue to wonder why there hasn't been one.

Calling Dr. Epstein! Dr. Epstein! :parrot:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And also because Wrigley Field clearly provides a much better experience than the "experts" who like to call it "run down" and a "shit hole" wish to believe.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Run-down? Perhaps but it still is a matter of atmosphere.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Run-down? Perhaps but it still is a matter of atmosphere.

Sent from Neverwhere using Taptalk

This is the answer in its purest form. It is a run down shit hole. That being said, I would much rather go to Wrigley to watch a game than go to U.S. Cellular. It is a nicer park, and I have been there a few times, but the experience is just different at Wrigley. An updated Wrigley with modern amenities would be SO much better though.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
This is the answer in its purest form. It is a run down shit hole. That being said, I would much rather go to Wrigley to watch a game than go to U.S. Cellular. It is a nicer park, and I have been there a few times, but the experience is just different at Wrigley. An updated Wrigley with modern amenities would be SO much better though.

It's coming, trust me. Then we can finally table this conversation about Wrigley Field being a dump.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
It's coming, trust me. Then we can finally table this conversation about Wrigley Field being a dump.

It isn't a dump at all.

It is a freaking ball park, not some resort community.

But maybe some people would be happier if they could sit in a massaging recliner sipping some foo foo drink with an umbrella in it with a huge jumbotron to tell them when to cheer and what is going on in the game since they can't figure it out themselves.

Reactions: X

chibears55

Liked Posts:
kbisback.. im right there with you as far as just go to the game and watch the game and dont need a jumbotron and all the hoopla because were the old school fans that didnt grow up with that..

but thats what most of these new younger generation fans want,, they want the entertainment outside the actual game, and exploding scoreboards ETC...

cant blame the ricketts for wanting to appeal to the younger generation..
IF he able to upgrade WF, then he has the best of both world.. old school and new generation

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
And also because Wrigley Field clearly provides a much better experience than the "experts" who like to call it "run down" and a "shit hole" wish to believe.

Non-shithole stadiums have amenities that help the home team win games...such as on-site training facilities.

I see you're a Royal fan, and this qualifies you to comment on Cub fan psychology how?.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I see you're a Royal fan, and this qualifies you to comment on Cub fan psychology how?.

I lived in the Wrigleyville neighborhood for 15 years and have been to hundreds of games at Wrigley Field.

Other than that, nothing.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

OK, so charm of the ballpark is one reason...and the food has gotten better recently.

-And they still allow carry-in soft coolers, which can be conveniently used to haul in booze disguised as soft drinks etc.:lol:

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I will not pay to watch a team that is built to lose.

Not overly concerned what the ballpark looks like.

If I go to a strip joint that has a nice building and toilets, but has toothless dancers equipped with meat curtain piercings and tattoos with "Rastus Was Here" on their hindquarters that are overweight, I will not spend my money there.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I will not pay to watch a team that is built to lose.

Not overly concerned what the ballpark looks like.

If I go to a strip joint that has a nice building and toilets, but has toothless dancers equipped with meat curtain piercings and tattoos with "Rastus Was Here" on their hindquarters that are overweight, I will not spend my money there.
Nice analogy. :lol:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
People have been staying away more lately. Cubs are announcing 30K+ cause of season tickets. Cubs sell 20+ season tickets every game but lucky if 10K of those show up. Reason people keep there season tickets is cause IF they ever do win WS they want to say they were there for it

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
IF your smart you don't overpay. You buy knocked down prices off of StubHub

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If you're smart you do exactly what the Chief's fans did last season and protest publicly during the games.

The fans threatened not to come back the next season if Hunt didn't get his shit together.

The fans forced the hand of the owner to make things right. I believe as fans we need to do the same.

MotorCityCub

Liked Posts:
If you're smart you do exactly what the Chief's fans did last season and protest publicly during the games.

The fans threatened not to come back the next season if Hunt didn't get his shit together.

The fans forced the hand of the owner to make things right. I believe as fans we need to do the same.

Most fans are front running sheep. When the Lions were under Millen's watch and the punch line to every national writer and late night talk show the Lions fans protested with the "Millen Man March." They protested from their parking lots right to the stadium on gameday and then went right in and watched the game. When they had a good year two years ago season tickets sold out once again. Even after last year's 5-11 there's still a wait list for tickets.

No matter how bad a team is the fans will be back once they're competitive. The Cubs are in a unique spot where the stadium is just as much a draw as the team. People will pay for what they feel gives them value. Chicago based Cubs fans might not pay to watch a losing team, but a general baseball fan will pay the inflated prices to see a Cubs game when they're already paying for airfare/hotel for their first trip to Wrigley.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Cubs fanbase is full of sheep.