Why Do Fans Overpay?

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is something to be said for a stadium that is old is Wrigley is. It's part of the experience...the history. Many go to the games because of what the park stands for and the fact that many want to say that they "experienced it" or that they "were there". That's the thing about history, many like to hold on to it because they feel it has value in some fashion.

To be honest, I went to many games just because of this. As soon as you walk through one of the aisles and get your first glance of the field with the ivy on the walls and the fans....it gives you goose bumps. Most of the "experience" happens before the first pitch. So, it has little to do with the game.

Many of the older fans are naturally pessimistic about the Cubs and probably do into a game "expecting" them to lose. A win is just a bonus. It wasn't about a win or loss, but about taking the family there so they can "experience" a little bit of history.

I understand what you're saying but that is the mentality I don't understand.... The history? What history? Losing all the time? What a grand history.

The experience? I've been to Wrigley 12 times, by my count. The ivy is cool, the bars after the game have some hotties there, but what else? The horrible, horrible bathrooms with the trough pisser? The average food? The frat boys drinking their face off and being ignorant? The mass amount of people NOT paying attention to the game? Sorry, but a pathetic history full of scrubs and ivy on the walls don't make up for all of the negatives from the experience.

To each their own, and if you love the "experience" then props to you because I just don't get it. Yes, I'm a White Sox fan, but I've been to 14 ballparks, including division rivals Detroit and KC, and Wrigley is the worst park out of the 14 that I've been too.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I'm a White Sox fan

Credibility lost.

I'm a Sox fan and LOVED Comerica Park. I'm a Packers fan and I enjoy Soldier's Field. I can appreciate a good experience or a good stadium/ball park in enemy territory. I really don't know anyone that is a non-Cubs fan that has enjoyed Wrigley Field, unless seeing a concert.

But keep your blindfold on and only listen to the pro-Wrigley crowd that *gasp* are either drunks, chicks that don't know sports or are Cubs fans. Ignorance is bliss, eh? :)

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I'm a Sox fan and LOVED Comerica Park. I'm a Packers fan and I enjoy Soldier's Field. I can appreciate a good experience or a good stadium/ball park in enemy territory. I really don't know anyone that is a non-Cubs fan that has enjoyed Wrigley Field, unless seeing a concert.

But keep your blindfold on and only listen to the pro-Wrigley crowd that *gasp* are either drunks, chicks that don't know sports or are Cubs fans. Ignorance is bliss, eh? :)

Last time I checked, every stadium sells booze. Hell, 3 team stadiums are named after beer companies. To say that the Cub fans at Wrigley are the only fans in baseball to consist of drunks, hot chicks and actual fans last; that is ignorance.

So, I go back to my original statement... White Sox fan, commenting on Wrigley: Credibility Lost!

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last time I checked, every stadium sells booze. Hell, 3 team stadiums are named after beer companies. To say that the Cub fans at Wrigley are the only fans in baseball to consist of drunks, hot chicks and actual fans last; that is ignorance.

So, I go back to my original statement... White Sox fan, commenting on Wrigley: Credibility Lost!

You sound like an 18 year old who has never visited other parks. Go to St. Louis.... They don't take kindly to drunks.

And obviously all stadiums will have some drunk people, but from my experience, which as stated is 14 stadiums, Wrigley is BY FAR the most drunk and it isn't even close... Most ballparks you don't even notice them. But keep the blindfold on, it is a perfect fit.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Great response. I'll reiterate my point for the mentally-impaired, such as yourself (and apparently patg006)...how is it possible for a person to have been a Cubs fan for 35 years and also believe its all about the excitement of a playoff run? Wouldn't it be about watching the game of baseball, regardless of other factors? You are basically admitting you are a bandwagon fan for a terrible organization, meaning you've watched the Cubs for about 6 of the last 35 seasons.

If you like to watch Cubs baseball, then aren't you kinda saying that you are content with them losing 100 plus games year after year? If you are a true fan, then winning shouldn't matter. Right?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
You sound like an 18 year old who has never visited other parks. Go to St. Louis.... They don't take kindly to drunks.

And obviously all stadiums will have some drunk people, but from my experience, which as stated is 14 stadiums, Wrigley is BY FAR the most drunk and it isn't even close... Most ballparks you don't even notice them. But keep the blindfold on, it is a perfect fit.

Growing up in Central Illinois, I actually went to 1/2 dozen games at Busch & 1/2 dozen games at Wrigley. I encountered more drunks at Busch and on the Red Line in Chicago than I did at Wrigley. My school's 9th grade field trip was to the Anheuser Busch Factory, so I know drunks!

At Wrigley, people have always seemed to keep to themselves or with the group of people they were at the game with. At Busch, the fans would engage with everyone around them, and at nearly every game I went to the engagement lead to verbal and physical altercations if those people around them were not Cardinal fans.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
No, you can be discontented with the losing but still find reasons to watch them. If the only reason you watch the Cubs is for the excitement of a playoff run, then you are obviously following the wrong team, and have been for the past 35 years yet are only coming to that realization now.

I have been a fan for over 45 years, and yes win or lose, I still watch them. I however don't get excited and scream from the rooftops for every win of a thrown away season.

Yes, it has been abysmal for the most part, but some, and it would only be kind of natural for some, expect a little more because over the last 35 years as stated above, the Cubs had 10 winning records and 6 playoff appearances (yes, it is disgusting), but half of those winning records and playoff appearances came during the Hendry regime in a we will call it "10 year window".

To see the team in the current state of having four losing seasons in a row and possibly losing 100 plus games back-to-back years should have a lot of people scratching their heads.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Great response. I'll reiterate my point for the mentally-impaired, such as yourself (and apparently patg006)...how is it possible for a person to have been a Cubs fan for 35 years and also believe its all about the excitement of a playoff run? Wouldn't it be about watching the game of baseball, regardless of other factors? You are basically admitting you are a bandwagon fan for a terrible organization, meaning you've watched the Cubs for about 6 of the last 35 seasons.

What he's trying to say is that BASEBALL is about winning and the excitement of a playoff run. Something he's not getting from the Cubs, hence the reason he's complaining and not going to the games.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Growing up in Central Illinois, I actually went to 1/2 dozen games at Busch & 1/2 dozen games at Wrigley. I encountered more drunks at Busch and on the Red Line in Chicago than I did at Wrigley. My school's 9th grade field trip was to the Anheuser Busch Factory, so I know drunks!

At Wrigley, people have always seemed to keep to themselves or with the group of people they were at the game with. At Busch, the fans would engage with everyone around them, and at nearly every game I went to the engagement lead to verbal and physical altercations if those people around them were not Cardinal fans.

Here is a funny one about Busch Stadium. About 10 year ago at the old Stadium, I went to a Cubs/Cardinal game. My sister in-law and her husband are Cardinal fans. I had a cast on my foot and was on crutches so it was difficult to sit with them in the assigned seat. I then ventured up to the handicap area where I stood and watched the game. About a couple of innings in, the usher seen that I was in obvious discomfort, so he offered me a chair. I thanked him and we started talking.

He had asked how long I had been a Cardinal fan, and when I told him I wasn't and was Cubs fan, he literally walked away with the look in his eye of wishing he never offered the chair to a person in need of it because of who I was rooting for. And no, I was not wearing Cub apparel at the time to tip him off. :bigfinger:

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Cubs fanbase is full of sheep.

I tend to be an overly-nostalgic person, so the park itself I think is still a neat thing to see... but the Cubs aren't worth 3 hours of driving, 4 miles of walking to and from the shitty parking lots and paying $150 to charbroil in the stands with a bunch of half-interested yuppies.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
And it took him 35 years to realize he wasn't getting this from the Cubs? Gotcha.

Yeah, but it's not that rare for Cub fans. I call it CFS (Cub Fan Syndrome). Sufferers can usually be seen fantasizing about goats and how awesome next year will be. This phenomenon usually occurs around the middle of July as it takes several months of exposure to terrible baseball to burn through the denial.

Seriously. I work with a bunch of old-fart Cub die-hards. It's the same fucking thing every year. They feed off of hope and the slightest glimpse of success like a school of rabid piranhas. It used to be entertaining, but then it got to be annoying, and now it's just downright pathetic. Any team that puts one back-to-back playoff run in 100+ years needs to be put out it's misery... but the fish keep on biting the line.

(Edit: Kudos to Salami. At least it sounds like he finally woke up.)

Last edited:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I tend to be an overly-nostalgic person, so the park itself I think is still a neat thing to see... but the Cubs aren't worth 3 hours of driving, 4 miles of walking to and from the shitty parking lots and paying $150 to charbroil in the stands with a bunch of half-interested yuppies.

Much more realistic to spend hours a day on the computer complaining about what the Cubs haven't done, saying that every move they have made in the past 2 years (only Theo & Hoyer moves, not anything that Hendry did) were terrible, complaining that the Cubs didn't outspend team X for player Y when we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars for players currently at or past their prime while the Cubs, as an entire organization, are not ready to compete for a championship; complaining that the major league players the Cubs traded were worth more than the prospects received in return, despite chastising the original signing of said player (Paul Maholm or Manholm)... Then saying that the Cubs players being offered for trade aren't worth any average to above average prospects.

Think that about covers it.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Much more realistic to spend hours a day on the computer complaining about what the Cubs haven't done, saying that every move they have made in the past 2 years (only Theo & Hoyer moves, not anything that Hendry did) were terrible, complaining that the Cubs didn't outspend team X for player Y when we are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars for players currently at or past their prime while the Cubs, as an entire organization, are not ready to compete for a championship; complaining that the major league players the Cubs traded were worth more than the prospects received in return, despite chastising the original signing of said player (Paul Maholm or Manholm)... Then saying that the Cubs players being offered for trade aren't worth any average to above average prospects.

Don't look at me when you say that.
:flipa:

I think this is the first time I've ever posted in the Cubs forum. I may have a dropped a "baseball sucks" turd at one point, but other than that this is probably the most I've thought about baseball since the mid 90's. I'd die at gunpoint if I was forced to name two players on any baseball team.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I have been a fan for over 45 years, and yes win or lose, I still watch them. I however don't get excited and scream from the rooftops for every win of a thrown away season.

Yes, it has been abysmal for the most part, but some, and it would only be kind of natural for some, expect a little more because over the last 35 years as stated above, the Cubs had 10 winning records and 6 playoff appearances (yes, it is disgusting), but half of those winning records and playoff appearances came during the Hendry regime in a we will call it "10 year window".

To see the team in the current state of having four losing seasons in a row and possibly losing 100 plus games back-to-back years should have a lot of people scratching their heads.

Wow, 45 years is as long as I've been on the planet. I grew up with $5 tics and Dave Kingman...and even I gave up on the Cubs after the back to back Piniella implosions.

There is nothing loveable about losing, 30+ years and I was done.

To All:

Do fans still sing go Cubs go after a W?. If so, that's one lame ass tradition that needs to *go.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

And it is more realistic to spend hours a day on the computer slurping up the move the Cubs have done to produce a 100 loss team last year and another one of the worst teams in baseball this year while also presenting completely idiotic trade scenarios that even the dumbest person can see won't work?

Think that about sums it up.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
And it took him 35 years to realize he wasn't getting this from the Cubs? Gotcha.

How old are you ...six ?

If you are unable to read and comprehend that's your fault.

They have a tool that I would advise you to use. Click on my user name and go back and read my past postings.

I know it would be a waste or your valuable time, but it also seems to be one asking the same question over and over.

But I now understand that you are dumb like that after reading many of your posts.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I've been to 4 games this year, and paid for 1. I only paid for the one because my gf and some friends wanted to go. Even then, I bought 4 tickets in section 200 something along first base, front row for $20 each.