Why Do Fans Overpay?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
just curious.. you all that been fans for 30-40+ years, have you all complained this much over all them years because they have only had a winning team 12 times in 40 years ??? i mean when you only saw them win twice in the 80's or once in the 90's seeing how impatience you are and how much your crucifying the ricketts and epstein for not spending and being competitive for 2 yrs. how the hell did you all survive those years with the tribune and the joke of a front office they trotted out then ?? you all couldve very easily changed teams then if you couldnt stand the losing and inability to put a competitive team on the field..

just find it funny that on every thread it all about how horrible the owner, and management has been for 2 years and realistically this team been horrible for over 40 years and you all became fans and stayed fans..

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
just curious.. you all that been fans for 30-40+ years, have you all complained this much over all them years because they have only had a winning team 12 times in 40 years ??? i mean when you only saw them win twice in the 80's or once in the 90's seeing how impatience you are and how much your crucifying the ricketts and epstein for not spending and being competitive for 2 yrs. how the hell did you all survive those years with the tribune and the joke of a front office they trotted out then ?? you all couldve very easily changed teams then if you couldnt stand the losing and inability to put a competitive team on the field..

just find it funny that on every thread it all about how horrible the owner, and management has been for 2 years and realistically this team been horrible for over 40 years and you all became fans and stayed fans..

For most of the last 30-40 years the Cubs were not making near as much money as they are now. Not even close.

Most of the 70's the Cubs were drawing no more than 20k a game average.

The 80's were mostly in the mid 20's a game.

It really wasn't till 1998 and Sammy Sosa where the Cubs got consistently into the mid to upper 30's a game.

Up until Ricketts bought the team, they were also owned by the Tribune Corporation. Everyone knew the team was being run by a corporation. The Tribune didn't buy the team with this whole song and dance routine about how they were life long fans of the team. They didn't bullshit people that they didn't have the resources to compete as a franchise while being one of the top revenue and profitable teams in the league.

Last year the Cubs lost 101 games. There has been a lot of bad baseball in the last 30-40 years, but never a 100 loss season. It had been 1966 since the team lost 100 games in a season.

With all that bad baseball in the last 30-40 years, the teams last year and this year are the worst of the bunch at a time when they have the most resources to field a team they have had in that span.

Totally different scenarios.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
For most of the last 30-40 years the Cubs were not making near as much money as they are now. Not even close.

Most of the 70's the Cubs were drawing no more than 20k a game average.

The 80's were mostly in the mid 20's a game.

It really wasn't till 1998 and Sammy Sosa where the Cubs got consistently into the mid to upper 30's a game.

Up until Ricketts bought the team, they were also owned by the Tribune Corporation. Everyone knew the team was being run by a corporation. The Tribune didn't buy the team with this whole song and dance routine about how they were life long fans of the team. They didn't bullshit people that they didn't have the resources to compete as a franchise while being one of the top revenue and profitable teams in the league.

Last year the Cubs lost 101 games. There has been a lot of bad baseball in the last 30-40 years, but never a 100 loss season. It had been 1966 since the team lost 100 games in a season.

With all that bad baseball in the last 30-40 years, the teams last year and this year are the worst of the bunch at a time when they have the most resources to field a team they have had in that span.

Totally different scenarios.

Bingo. But then again, if you have your blinders on, the above statement would be hard to comprehend.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Considering that the team had 5 winning seasons and 3 playoff appearances under Hendry versus the same amount over the past 40 years, I'd say that my expectations are a little higher than what has happened the last 2 seasons.

Sure it will change. The law of averages says so, but until I see this prolonged stretch that is being talked about, then and only then will I believe it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would think that a Cubs fan who was familiar with the Hendry era would understand/expect the current bad situation the Cubs are in. If you followed the Cubs, your expectations should actually be lower because you know what shape Hendry left the team in. I don't understand how a person's expectations would be HIGHER immediately following the Hendry era...worst farm system in the MLB, terrible long-term contracts to mediocre players, very little talent on the roster...when should I buy my World Series tickets?

That is just dead wrong. The Cubs farm was never ranked dead last in the Hendry era. A quick google search would show that. They stayed in the late teens to early 20's most of his career. That is with ownership not allowing to spend any type of money on the draft. The Cubs were like second to last in spending on the draft during Hendry;s era. That is a straight ownership problem. Also, What contracts are killing this team? Soriano? The guy who may have been our best player last year and has been solid this year? Marmol is tying up money but he could have been traded and Theo and them pulled it. The whole core of this team is coming from the Hendry era except Rizzo. Who was acquired via a Hendry player? Your number 1 prospect in the minors is a Hendry player. Yet again, people who still blame Hendry are dumb. Also, the reason a lot of these contracts were back loaded wasnt because of Hendry It was because they were selling the Cubs and wanted to stick the money on the new owners. Hendry didnt even sign Soriano. It has been well document it was McDonough. So, please keep Hendry off these threads. He has nothing to do with this team and its failures anymore. This is Theo's plane.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
If you followed the Cubs, your expectations should actually be lower because you know what shape Hendry left the team in. I don't understand how a person's expectations would be HIGHER immediately following the Hendry era...worst farm system in the MLB, terrible long-term contracts to mediocre players, very little talent on the roster...when should I buy my World Series tickets?

Any halfway intelligent baseball fan would understand that everything said above is ignorant.

A majority of the roster has been overhauled and were not on the team in 2011. PLENTY of opportunity to improve the club. They are much worse.
The farm system wasn't in great shape, but very far from the worst in baseball. In 2011 it was ranked anywhere from 16-24 by various sources.
Soriano's contract isn't a 1/10th as bad as idiots cry about. He is far from being a mediocre player.
Plus idiots like you think Hendry is the worst GM in history and Theo is the best GM in history, so why shouldn't their be an expectation of a better team? The only reason you wouldn't have expectations that the team would be better is if you thought that Theo wasn't near as good as his reputation.

Sure is looking like Theo isn't anywhere near as good as his reputation that people are slurping up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting. Please provide link/quick google search which shows the Cubs farm system rankings from 2002-2011.

So...you had high expectations for the Cubs when Hendry departed? You expected playoff race baseball in 2012 and 2013? That was kind of my point. Theo Epstein did not inherit a playoff-caliber team. But thats not Hendry's fault. Great logic.

Lol, provide a link when they were dead last. Also, you just said absolutely nothing as a response. You can go year by year on Cubs farm system rankings. They never ranked dead last or even the bottom 5. You sir should just stop typing.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, typing in a year and farm system rankings is a complicated search? Well, now I see where the problem lies. Not much between the ears. Also, did I expect them to be great? No, because Theo and them went after no free agents and didnt resign ARam. How is that on Hendry again? Could they have been competitive? Yes, they were options. They decided to not do it. So, yet again, my short bus friend. How is that Hendry's fault?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
So you honestly expected playoff race baseball from the Cubs in 2012 and 2013? That was my question about Mt. Salami's posting...he was disappointed that the Cubs weren't playing playoff race baseball...well, if that was your expectation for last year and this year, then thats on you.

I forgot you are one of the morons who doesn't think there is any difference between 100 losses and 75 losses.

No one said that they expected playoff race baseball.

Could it have been possible if the team had gone out and actually spent money and brought in quality free agents.

The one thing I didn't expect is a 100 loss season and what looks like it could very well be a second 100 loss season and the worst two year stretch in franchise history.

And since you are acting like a whiny little spoiled brat that needs everything spoonfed to you cause you are too lazy to do any actual research yourself, here is a link to the Cubs minor league rankings...

http://wiklifield.thecubreporter.com/Cubs_Organization_Talent_Rankings

They had low rankings in 2009, but in just one offseason Hendry turned it around from a bottom 5 system to a top 10 system by 3 of the 4 rankings noted.

Not bad for someone who was terrible at drafting and totally ignored the minor league system.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I forgot you are one of the morons who doesn't think there is any difference between 100 losses and 75 losses.

No one said that they expected playoff race baseball.

Could it have been possible if the team had gone out and actually spent money and brought in quality free agents.

The one thing I didn't expect is a 100 loss season and what looks like it could very well be a second 100 loss season and the worst two year stretch in franchise history.

And since you are acting like a whiny little spoiled brat that needs everything spoonfed to you cause you are too lazy to do any actual research yourself, here is a link to the Cubs minor league rankings...

http://wiklifield.thecubreporter.com/Cubs_Organization_Talent_Rankings

They had low rankings in 2009, but in just one offseason Hendry turned it around from a bottom 5 system to a top 10 system by 3 of the 4 rankings noted.

Not bad for someone who was terrible at drafting and totally ignored the minor league system.

:andruw:

Look at the rankings from when Hendry took over..they get progressively worse..bottom out as nearly the worst in the MLB, bounce back for one season and start falling again.

Great stuff.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
For about the 8th time to all the chumps that have been dodging the question...what were your expectations for this season?

For about the 80th time, we were expecting to at least see some improvement and not a second 100 loss season.

But apparently that is being too unrealistic for many.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still working on that "quick google search"? Do you have a dial-up connection or something? Accessing the internet through AOL?

Good point. Cubs were 71-91 with Ramirez. And Valbuena is whats holding the Cubs back from greatness this year.

But the point wasn't about being competitive. It was the disappointment that the Cubs weren't in the playoff race last year, and most likely won't be in the playoff race this year.

Cubs third baseman combined in 2012 hit sub .200 with 11 hmers and 50 RBI's combine. Aramis Ramirez 2012 stats .300 Avg 27 homers and 105 RBI's. That possibly could have helped the Cubs last year. The Cubs could have won around 75 games last year before they traded there players. Add Ramirez and another bat in the OF and the Cubs are competing for the second wild card. They could have done this without hurting the farm at all. Tell me again, how not signing these players were Hendrys fault? And I still dont understand how you act like a quick google search couldnt provide that info. You still never came with that quick search as the Cubs being dead last. I hope you dont have a job that requires more than 1 minute of your time. That job would be fucked.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
:andruw:

Look at the rankings from when Hendry took over..they get progressively worse..bottom out as nearly the worst in the MLB, bounce back for one season and start falling again.

Great stuff.

Did you ever look up the money the Cubs spent on the draft? You know the money allocated by ownership that Hendry was allowed to spend. Then see why the farm system started going down. Also, When the Cubs had a top 5 farm Hendry was smack dab in the middle of it before he was a GM. He must have forgot how to draft .

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did you ever look up the money the Cubs spent on the draft? You know the money allocated by ownership that Hendry was allowed to spend. Then see why the farm system started going down. Also, When the Cubs had a top 5 farm Hendry was smack dab in the middle of it before he was a GM. He must have forgot how to draft .

Do you have those numbers?

Or Hendry was getting far too much credit.