Why Do Fans Overpay?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are you talking about? Your posts appear to be "fluctuating toward the middle" more than a Jim Hendry farm team. Even Mike Prior wouldn't approve of this.

Still waiting for that dead last farm system.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, I'm currently researching Mike Priors extensive baseball career.

So, because a website has a typo it discredits the farm system rankings even thought other links support the same rankings? You would like Ryback!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Funny how the only person supporting Rory is the site's biggest and most obvious troll.

The only other person I can see rushing to get their panties on to join Rory is willrust.

Not a great supporting crew you have going on there.
Typical for a Royals fan to say!

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can appreciate a good zinger, but that wasnt one! Cricketts!

220px-Tom_Ricketts_2011.jpg

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Still waiting for that dead last farm system.

To be fair, farm rankings are subjective. But I would say that a general decline trend towards 27th on that particular list isn't going to help your case. The farm got completely ignored for a long time, and now Theo is trying to fix it. Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but I could agree with the folks that are frustrated by not putting a winner out at the MLB level.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess I'm shocked that Cubs fans expected much improvement this year. Epstein constantly told them the plan, told them not to expect large $ free agent signings, that they weren't really going to make moves until the developmental and minor league levels were in better shape yada yada yada....the plan is put into effect ...and the peasants revolt. I get maybe being frustrated with the plan when it was first announced and during the description process but being angry and shocked or not having your expectations met when those expectations basically ran counter to everything you had been told just reeks of not paying attention.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be fair, farm rankings are subjective. But I would say that a general decline trend towards 27th on that particular list isn't going to help your case. The farm got completely ignored for a long time, and now Theo is trying to fix it. Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but I could agree with the folks that are frustrated by not putting a winner out at the MLB level.

I tried to explain the issue at hand with the draft. Theo did great in Boston drafting because he over slotted a lot. The Red Sox spent money on the draft. Hendry's hands were tied because ownership would not allow the same spending for the Cubs. They wanted it to be spent on the parent club because they wanted to sell them. Draft spending tripled when Ricketts came in office. There is a reasoning for that. Those Hayden Simpson picks and so on was directly related to what the Cubs ownership allowed Hendry to spend on the draft. Hendry was also not allowed near the staff Theo has. You want to blame someone for the minors blame the ownership for not letting Hendry care. This is what I tried to explain. The last Hendry draft looks like a damn good one. Baez, Volgelbomb, Rock Shoulders, Zeke Devoss, Dunston, Gretzky, Dillion Maples and so on. You can only do so much with what you are given. I dont blame Theo for not spending. Ricketts will not allow the payroll to be any higher. Its not Theos fault. Its Ricketts.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I tried to explain the issue at hand with the draft. Theo did great in Boston drafting because he over slotted a lot. The Red Sox spent money on the draft. Hendry's hands were tied because ownership would not allow the same spending for the Cubs. They wanted it to be spent on the parent club because they wanted to sell them. Draft spending tripled when Ricketts came in office. There is a reasoning for that. Those Hayden Simpson picks and so on was directly related to what the Cubs ownership allowed Hendry to spend on the draft. Hendry was also not allowed near the staff Theo has. You want to blame someone for the minors blame the ownership for not letting Hendry care. This is what I tried to explain. The last Hendry draft looks like a damn good one. Baez, Volgelbomb, Rock Shoulders, Zeke Devoss, Dunston, Gretzky, Dillion Maples and so on. You can only do so much with what you are given. I dont blame Theo for not spending. Ricketts will not allow the payroll to be any higher. Its not Theos fault. Its Ricketts.
Then why is any ever bitching about Epstein? Ever? Based on what he's actually being allowed to do........he's doing a really good job.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then why is any ever bitching about Epstein? Ever? Based on what he's actually being allowed to do........he's doing a really good job.

I never blamed Theo for signings. I also have never ripped Theo for this team. I have said he has made mistakes and he has. Trading for Ian Stewart when he was going to be cut from the Rockies soon enough. Not resigning ARam when he had the money. Holding on to Marmol when everyone knew he was a headcase. Resigning Stewart for 2 million. I have said numerous times all GM's make mistakes. It happens. I didnt like the hiring of Sveum. I think he is a horrible in game coach and he isnt exactly teaching great fundamentals considering this team is just as bad defensively. This team has good pieces. We have a solid rotation. The bullpen sucks and I thought that was going to happen. I thought the signing Fuji was not a good one. I thought we could have done better for the money. Theo recently came out and said they spent every bit of money on payroll that they were allowed. That shows me Ricketts is the problem this team is not competitive.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never blamed Theo for signings. I also have never ripped Theo for this team. I have said he has made mistakes and he has. Trading for Ian Stewart when he was going to be cut from the Rockies soon enough. Not resigning ARam when he had the money. Holding on to Marmol when everyone knew he was a headcase. Resigning Stewart for 2 million. I have said numerous times all GM's make mistakes. It happens. I didnt like the hiring of Sveum. I think he is a horrible in game coach and he isnt exactly teaching great fundamentals considering this team is just as bad defensively. This team has good pieces. We have a solid rotation. The bullpen sucks and I thought that was going to happen. I thought the signing Fuji was not a good one. I thought we could have done better for the money. Theo recently came out and said they spent every bit of money on payroll that they were allowed. That shows me Ricketts is the problem this team is not competitive.
Was Stewart going to be released?
Was ARam his call alone? Based on what you said previous it may not be the case.
Do you know for sure there was a market for Marmol? Were teams interested?
Resigning Stewart was a mistake? Just saying that if Theo spent every dime he could..was there a betetr cheaper option out there? Or not spend the money? Where else you you slot it in?

Epstein has obviously made errors, and I'm not trying to defend or say the above aren't but when you start throwing in how much carte blanche doe she have to spend..some of these moves you don't like make sense in a certain frame.

I think it's to easy to scream about signing Stewart..ok..what were the alternatives?

ZOMG Trade Marmol! If everyone knew he was a headcase as you state...then you don't think other teams didn't know that? What type of offers were you getting for him? Did they make sense? Were they worth anything? etc If he trades Marmol for peanuts because everyone knows he's a headcase and wasn't getting much int he way of offers..then people still bitch. I really think the frustration is clouding people's thought processes

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was Stewart going to be released?
Was ARam his call alone? Based on what you said previous it may not be the case.
Do you know for sure there was a market for Marmol? Were teams interested?
Resigning Stewart was a mistake? Just saying that if Theo spent every dime he could..was there a betetr cheaper option out there? Or not spend the money? Where else you you slot it in?

Epstein has obviously made errors, and I'm not trying to defend or say the above aren't but when you start throwing in how much carte blanche doe she have to spend..some of these moves you don't like make sense in a certain frame.

I think it's to easy to scream about signing Stewart..ok..what were the alternatives?

ZOMG Trade Marmol! If everyone knew he was a headcase as you state...then you don't think other teams didn't know that? What type of offers were you getting for him? Did they make sense? Were they worth anything? etc If he trades Marmol for peanuts because everyone knows he's a headcase and wasn't getting much int he way of offers..then people still bitch. I really think the frustration is clouding people's thought processes

Yes, Stewart was going to be released. Theo even came out and said he made a mistake trading for Stewart. ARam was told by Theo that they were going into a rebuild and were going in a different direction. Aramis has been quoted saying this. Marmol was traded for Haren and the Cubs pulled it. Haren hasnt been great, but he is better than Marmol. I would have rather played LeMahieu at third over Stewart. At least he has hit for average everywhere he has been. My judgement isnt clouded. I tell the good and the bad. I just cant stand people who blame Hendry for the state of this team. It has nothing to do with him anymore. Nothing.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Hendry is just a peripheral issue. My point is why do Cubs fans have high expectations for this year? Why did they expect "playoff race" baseball in 2012? What are these expectations based on? You yourself said the last thing you expected in 2013 was another 100-loss season...why? What factual evidence led you to conclude that there is no chance the Cubs lose 100 games in 2013?

Why do you keep repeating the same questions that have already been answered?

No I did not say that I expected less than 100 loss season in 2013. I said I expected the team to lose less than 100 games when the Almighty, Greatest GM in the history of the sport, Theo Epstein was hired to run the Cubs.

After the shitty job they did last year, and the complete absence of quality moves again this year, I expected another 100 loss season.

What I do expect is that the supposedly great Theo Epstein field a team that doesn't lose even 90 games.

But again, that is me being completely unreasonable again.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
According to KBisBack(!), your rankings showed a "fluctuation toward the middle"...which is obviously incorrect.

Wrong.

I said they fluctuated towards the middle, then to the bottom and back up again.

Baseball America's rankings since you are too freaking lazy to click on a link and need your baby food spoon fed to you....

Starting in 2002 to 2011..

1st, 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, 18th, 20th, 27th, 15th and 16th.

Anywhere from 10th to 20th is in the middle third.

There is only one season in the bottom third.

100% correct.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Well if you spent less time trolling or watching steriod freaks in tights roll around with each other and tried to actually learn something about the game of baseball you would know they had a deal in place with the Angels to trade Marmol to the Angels for Dan Haren.

That was the deal was in place into Theo and Co. pulled out of the deal.

Haren hasn't been great, but definitely be an upgrade and possible better trade piece than Marmol.

As for Stewart there were several better alternatives. The better question should be, what was a worse alternative?? I can't think of any that would have ended up being worse.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, Stewart was going to be released. Theo even came out and said he made a mistake trading for Stewart. ARam was told by Theo that they were going into a rebuild and were going in a different direction. Aramis has been quoted saying this. Marmol was traded for Haren and the Cubs pulled it. Haren hasnt been great, but he is better than Marmol. I would have rather played LeMahieu at third over Stewart. At least he has hit for average everywhere he has been. My judgement isnt clouded. I tell the good and the bad. I just cant stand people who blame Hendry for the state of this team. It has nothing to do with him anymore. Nothing.
Link?

Ok..so was that Theo's call alone on ARam? That doesn't answer my question. You're just telling me what Aram said Theo told him...was it Theo's choice to not spend the money on ARam or was that a decision Theo had to make based on what Rickett's told him to do and or gave him money wise to fill out the roster.

Still never read anything definitive on who pulled out of what in the Haren trade..and even still you're still trading Marmol for a meh arm. Is that really that much of an issue? It could have been a money issue with lining up the contracts of the two guys(not in an NBA sense but in a spending sense), wasn't Haren's contract pretty easily larger than Marmol's last season..plus the buyout the4 Cubs would had to of paid to not take on like another 15 million? Was that for sure Theo's final call on the deal?

I just find it odd you're fully aware Ricketts has his hand in all the Cubs financial wheelings and dealing at the MLB level but then when situations come up where it could clearly have financial implications that by your own admission Ricketts is very actively involved in...you still seem to place all the blame at Epstein's feet.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well if you spent less time trolling or watching steriod freaks in tights roll around with each other and tried to actually learn something about the game of baseball you would know they had a deal in place with the Angels to trade Marmol to the Angels for Dan Haren.

That was the deal was in place into Theo and Co. pulled out of the deal.

Haren hasn't been great, but definitely be an upgrade and possible better trade piece than Marmol.

As for Stewart there were several better alternatives. The better question should be, what was a worse alternative?? I can't think of any that would have ended up being worse.

Not sure how tradeable Haren would have been with a 15 million dollar price tag this year as a half season rental when he's not really pitching that great.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Not sure how tradeable Haren would have been with a 15 million dollar price tag this year as a half season rental when he's not really pitching that great.

Of course, dealing Marmol for Haren nets you a middle of the rotation starter that isn't pitching that well, but since Theo has openly said that the Cubs are going in for the long haul and the Cubs are not spending money and rebuilding, wouldn't it have been the wiser choice to go for a 1 year deal in Haren at 15 million, then a 4 year deal at 52 million for a middle of the rotation pitcher in Jackson, who by the way is also not pitching that well?