Why do Ohio State QBs not do well in NFL?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Norte Dame had the GOAT Joe Montana and then NOTHING

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I am about as anti-OSU as it gets. Major bias against them. I became a football fan as a kid when I lived in the UP of Michigan; I moved to Ohio where EVERYONE is a buckeyes fan, despite nobody having even a relative that went to OSU. I went to Ohio University, and Ohio State students came to our parties, left a mess and skipped town. I have three siblings with degrees from OSU and I am very bitter about it.

That being said, I have come around to the fact that most QBs suck at the NFL level, and it might not be 100% on OSU that their QBs have yet to successfully make the leap to the NFL.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Oh it goes a lot further back than just those four. Craig Krenzel (who had most of his NFL suck in Chicago), Troy Smith, Kirk Herbstreit, Braxton Miller...the list goes on. Its not a recent phenomenon.

I think its just a matter that in this century Ohio State is vastly better than any of the other Big Ten teams. They are more like an SEC team playing in the Big Ten than anything else. That means they beat up on shitty opponents, racking up gaudy stats in the process. Makes guys look better than they actually are.

Montucky :

Craig Krenzel (who had most of his NFL suck in Chicago), Troy Smith, Kirk Herbstreit, Braxton Miller
you're not doing a full analysis. See post>>>> #25

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Why hasnt Navy produced more Roger Staubachs

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
However, when Smart ultimately chose Fromm over Fields, Fields showed why he was such a hot prospect. Changing offensive philosophies at Ohio State, Fields finished the 2019 season with 3,273 yards, 41 touchdowns, three interceptions, a 67.2 percent completion percentage, 484 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns, leading the Buckeyes to the College Football Playoff. Meanwhile, Fromm took a step back and finished the year with 2,860 yards, 24 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 60.8 percent completion percentage.

The main sticking point of Fromm over Fields was the offense preached by Smart at Georgia, which utilized the talent around Fromm and emphasized a strong running game while Ryan Day’s offense at Ohio State revolved the offense around Fields airing it out, spreading out formations and utilizing his dual threat ability.

Why Kirby Smart chose Jake Fromm over Justin Fields
Sounds to me like Kirby did him a favor.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why hasnt Navy produced more Roger Staubachs

You'd have to look at who coached Staubach at Navy and the type of offense they ran. Then you'd have to look at their coaching and offensive scheme over the past few yrs.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Norte Dame had the GOAT Joe Montana and then NOTHING

As a ND fan, this is true. The best season any ND QB has had since Joe Cool was Beurlein in 99 with Carolina

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
maybe better question is why does Ohio St not get better QBs in the past? looking back.....

Haskins
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Terrelle Pryor

i understand why none of them worked out. it's more confusing why Ohio St hasn't gotten better QBs in the past. i guess they don't want to go play at a school more known for running backs and defense? guess i cant blame them wanting to go somewhere warmer too. just kinda odd.

but i laugh when people mention Ohio St never produces good NFL QBs. uh yeah cause they've never had Justin Fields lol. and he came from Georgia! funny only way they got an elite guy like him was cause of transfer.
You nailed it bro. None of those guys was in the same hemisphere as JF as far as being a qb goes. Those guys were athletes who played qb while Fields is an athletic qb. I remember hearing about Fields his first year at OSU and thinking he was going to be another one of these guys so i went into the first game i saw him in with a meh attitude about him. Did not take long to change my mind once i saw him drop some deep dimes and some lasers into some tight windows. Been a fan since and still cant believe hes a Bear.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Franchise QBs can come from anywhere. Thats the problem. Its a combination of QB talent, his drive or motivation, his coaching, and his team. You just don't know.

Right now Clemson can be considered QB U.

cafawip138

Liked Posts:
maybe better question is why does Ohio St not get better QBs in the past? looking back.....

Haskins
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Terrelle Pryor

i understand why none of them worked out. it's more confusing why Ohio St hasn't gotten better QBs in the past. i guess they don't want to go play at a school more known for running backs and defense? guess i cant blame them wanting to go somewhere warmer too. just kinda odd.

but i laugh when people mention Ohio St never produces good NFL QBs. uh yeah cause they've never had Justin Fields lol. and he came from Georgia! funny only way they got an elite guy like him was cause of transfer.
I can only talk about players from this century, but basically, Ohio State has had a number of quarterbacks were very good college players, but had skillsets that didn’t translate to the NFL. Also, they didn’t actually start recruiting at an elite level until Urban Meyer arrived, under Jim Tressel they were solid in recruiting, but weren’t recruiting at the level of programs like Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. But as for their recent QBs...

- Troy Smith was a great early dual-threat QB, but he was undersized and didn’t fit the NFL’s prototype for quarterbacks back then. If he’d come into the league a decade later, he might’ve been a lot more successful.

- Todd Boeckman was the definition of mediocre, his ceiling was a 3rd string NFL QB.

- Terrelle Pryor was 6’6”, 240, and ran a 4.3, but he was never a good passer, so he moved to WR in the NFL and had a brief but solid career.

- Braxton Miller was absurdly talented, basically Michael Vick-lite, but he had a devastating shoulder injury and had to move to WR.

- Cardale Jones was literally Jamarcus Russell 2.0 in terms of his physical abilities, but it became clear during his first full year as a starter at OSU that he couldn’t read defenses and run an offense effectively, and he was benched.

- JT Barrett was OSU’s Tim Tebow: off the charts leadership, toughness, intangibles, excellent running ability, etc., but he just plain didn’t have an NFL arm

- Dwayne Haskins was OSU’s first real prototypical 1st round NFL QB prospect, but his career was derailed by work ethic and character issues more than anything else. (I wrote about him in more detail in a different post).

- Justin Fields will be the greatest QB in Bears franchise history.

Since they’ve hired Ryan Day, Ohio State is now recruiting pro style quarterbacks and running something closer to a pro style offense. They’ve got two former 5* recruits on the roster currently who have a chance to be drafted a few years from now, and they’ve got a 2022 recruit signed who’s rated higher than Trevor Lawrence coming out of high school.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I have tbh but i thought Quinn was going to be a decent qb in the NFL. Not an elite guy but a guy that would have some success and be solid. Maybe make a pro bowl or two.

Quinn was in tough situation being drafted by the Browns ( and going back & forth between he and Derek Anderson).
From there he bounced to 6 different teams ?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I can only talk about players from this century, but basically, Ohio State has had a number of quarterbacks were very good college players, but had skillsets that didn’t translate to the NFL. Also, they didn’t actually start recruiting at an elite level until Urban Meyer arrived, under Jim Tressel they were solid in recruiting, but weren’t recruiting at the level of programs like Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. But as for their recent QBs...

- Troy Smith was a great early dual-threat QB, but he was undersized and didn’t fit the NFL’s prototype for quarterbacks back then. If he’d come into the league a decade later, he might’ve been a lot more successful.

- Todd Boeckman was the definition of mediocre, his ceiling was a 3rd string NFL QB.

- Terrelle Pryor was 6’6”, 240, and ran a 4.3, but he was never a good passer, so he moved to WR in the NFL and had a brief but solid career.

- Braxton Miller was absurdly talented, basically Michael Vick-lite, but he had a devastating shoulder injury and had to move to WR.

- Cardale Jones was literally Jamarcus Russell 2.0 in terms of his physical abilities, but it became clear during his first full year as a starter at OSU that he couldn’t read defenses and run an offense effectively, and he was benched.

- JT Barrett was OSU’s Tim Tebow: off the charts leadership, toughness, intangibles, excellent running ability, etc., but he just plain didn’t have an NFL arm

- Dwayne Haskins was OSU’s first real prototypical 1st round NFL QB prospect, but his career was derailed by work ethic and character issues more than anything else. (I wrote about him in more detail in a different post).

- Justin Fields will be the greatest QB in Bears franchise history.

Since they’ve hired Ryan Day, Ohio State is now recruiting pro style quarterbacks and running something closer to a pro style offense. They’ve got two former 5* recruits on the roster currently who have a chance to be drafted a few years from now, and they’ve got a 2022 recruit signed who’s rated higher than Trevor Lawrence coming out of high school.

The only thing missing is who and how were they coached at the pro level.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Frankly, it's just NFL confirmation bias.

Better qb prospects go to schools that have a history of getting qbs into the NFL and being successful, hence narrowing the pool. Has more to do with recruiting than anything else.

And like others said, it doesn't happen until it does, and when it does, recruiters may use that to entice better prospects who otherwise might have gone elsewhere.

The one mistake fans make in why x college hasn't produced y player in the NFL is they never look at the recruiting pool for that position the college is pulling from.