Why Fields over Jones?

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watched both of them several times. Let's throw in the mix, if the only two games you watched last year was Ohio St versus Indiana, and Ohio State versus Northwestern, you wouldn't take Fields in the 7th round. Also head to head in the big game, Mac Jones outplayed Fields by a huge margin.

This is not an exact science. We can hope the Bears made the right choice, but only time will tell, not a message board.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
did anyone else hear what mac jones told roger goodell when he came to the podium? roger said something along the lines of mac being happy about the pats and mac said thats where he always wanted to go

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I actually like Jones a lot. If you would have told me yesterday that we got Jones at 20, I would have been thrilled. He is light years better than Trask, Mond and Mills who we would have next crack at in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

But between the 2, Fields has the higher ceiling and he is more dynamic. That and he fits Nagy's style of offense more than Jones. For the Bears to be sitting at 20 at the start of the draft and get the guy who was rated as the 2nd best QB AFTER the season ended and only have to give up basically 1 extra first to get... is just amazing. That is incredible value.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I watched both of them several times. Let's throw in the mix, if the only two games you watched last year was Ohio St versus Indiana, and Ohio State versus Northwestern, you wouldn't take Fields in the 7th round. Also head to head in the big game, Mac Jones outplayed Fields by a huge margin.

This is not an exact science. We can hope the Bears made the right choice, but only time will tell, not a message board.

and Fields outplayed Lawrence

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Crazy how so many people were pumping up Fields yesterday, and then 14 hours later there seems to be a lot of doubt.

I wonder if other fan bases are as equally schizophrenic.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Crazy how so many people were pumping up Fields yesterday, and then 14 hours later there seems to be a lot of doubt.

I wonder if other fan bases are as equally schizophrenic.

IDK, there's a few people that aren't fans of the move, but I think this is the most positive I've ever seen the Bears board after draft night. Including the CBMB. This move has given the majority of the fan base some hope IMO.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
IDK, there's a few people that aren't fans of the move, but I think this is the most positive I've ever seen the Bears board after draft night. Including the CBMB. This move has given the majority of the fan base some hope IMO.
I'll give you some hope....that you have a great future of health and prosperity.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
As others have said it's potential. Fields has a very high ceiling.

FoCo

Liked Posts:
If you need to feel better about the pick go talk to a Panther or Bronco fan.

Liked Posts:
Fields was the easy and correct choice.

He's got all the tools and college pedigree to back it up. He's the type of guy the Bears should've gone for in 2007. He checks all the boxes. You take him and don't look back. If he ends up a dud, then so be it, it's always a gamble, but it's a good one.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They simply could not merit trading multiple first round picks for a pocket only passer, who would be a dead man walking in this offense.

I don't see how this is controversial at all. I think Jones is a good prospect and was overly criticized leading up to the draft, up until the Niners rumors where he instantly became way overhyped. Fields was always the better prospect.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
And Wilson is Josh Rosen....lol
I'll never figure out what made teams think Wilson is the #2. Ok, he's got good talent, but he never played anyone, had 5 seconds to throw every play, and didn't show well against the decent team or 2 he did play.

I'm not saying he can't be good, he can be, I'm just saying he's not at all proven and a total wildcard.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
They simply could not merit trading multiple first round picks for a pocket only passer, who would be a dead man walking in this offense.

I don't see how this is controversial at all. I think Jones is a good prospect and was overly criticized leading up to the draft, up until the Niners rumors where he instantly became way overhyped. Fields was always the better prospect.
Mac Jones had Waddle/Smith/Najee, that supporting cast makes him a little more difficult to judge. Fields is definitely the safer bet imo, who was the last pure pocket passer taken who's turned out to be good?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Because Justin Fields has the potential of being a dynamic qb at the level the nfl has never seen before.

He's the 3rd fastest qb in the league, and his arm talent is superior to murray/jackson.
I think we should pump the brakes on “the nfl has ever seen before” narrative. We’ve definitely seen it before.