Why Fields over Jones?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
So now we are already starting to make excuses if Fields doesnt pan out? Its not his fault but itll be Nagys?
Me? I do not know the first thing about the development of a rookie QB in the NFL... I was just mentioning what I've been seeing on ESPN, FOX Sports, NBC Sports analyzing the pick.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
They simply could not merit trading multiple first round picks for a pocket only passer, who would be a dead man walking in this offense.

I don't see how this is controversial at all. I think Jones is a good prospect and was overly criticized leading up to the draft, up until the Niners rumors where he instantly became way overhyped. Fields was always the better prospect.
Nagy wanted a dual threat QB who can run and score Fields can do that way better then Jones. If they had a much better O line that could protect a pure pocket passer then maybe Jones would have been their guy. I'm happy with him playing for the Bears and representing Chitown.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I’m curious what the Jets and 49ers made them pass on Fields. I really really hope they screwed up, Bears got a steal and franchise QB for many years.

If u go out dump the garbage and notice a sack of money ?, are u gonna canvass the area to find who it belongs too?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’m curious what the Jets and 49ers made them pass on Fields. I really really hope they screwed up, Bears got a steal and franchise QB for many years.
This is purely a guess on my part, but if you're a guy like Shanahan I imagine the appeal to a guy like Lance is his rawness allows you to develop him exactly the way you want.

That said, I could have sworn I saw a tweet that said he was picked without Shanahan knowing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jones only played one year. I'll just add that to what others said.

This. He was Trubisky 2.0. He might end up being good but Fields has been a heralded prospect since high school and an accomplished 2 year starter. Similar to Watson in that regard. So this was like the opposite of the 2017 draft where they took the guy that had a better pedigree.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will also point out Jones top 2 WRs got drafted before him, his top OT was drafted 2 spots after him and his RB was drafted at 24. He played with a loaded deck. Ohio State made the NC game but their talent on O was not to the level of Bama.

Put another way, if you put Fields on Bama and Jones on OSU, I think Bama still wins the NC game so would not put much stock into that game.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I will also point out Jones top 2 WRs got drafted before him, his top OT was drafted 2 spots after him and his RB was drafted at 24. He played with a loaded deck. Ohio State made the NC game but their talent on O was not to the level of Bama.

Put another way, if you put Fields on Bama and Jones on OSU, I think Bama still wins the NC game so would not put much stock into that game.

You mean the game Fields played at 70% with an injury? Some here dont notice that.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is purely a guess on my part, but if you're a guy like Shanahan I imagine the appeal to a guy like Lance is his rawness allows you to develop him exactly the way you want.

That said, I could have sworn I saw a tweet that said he was picked without Shanahan knowing.
Jesus Christ, for their sake i hope thats not true. Shanny is too good. This isn't John Fox we're talking about.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

Fields' OL was straight trash too.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You mean the game Fields played at 70% with an injury? Some here dont notice that.

Yep, I forgot about the injury myself.

Fields' OL was straight trash too.

In many respects it was like the Super Bowl. Sure Brady was great but he had like only 4 pressures while Mahomes had a Super Bowl record 28 or something.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Yep, I forgot about the injury myself.

In many respects it was like the Super Bowl. Sure Brady was great but he had like only 4 pressures while Mahomes had a Super Bowl record 28 or something.
I've watched a lot of Fields tape and he was under duress a TON.

We have to go OL for this guy man, he delivers some beautiful throws from a clean pocket.

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me? I do not know the first thing about the development of a rookie QB in the NFL... I was just mentioning what I've been seeing on ESPN, FOX Sports, NBC Sports analyzing the pick.

Sorry, wasnt talking to you specifically....just a general statement

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Fields will be accepted by the pack almost immediately. Jones gives off a lone wolf Cutler vibe. Fields leadership is one of his best attributes.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Because Justin Fields has the potential of being a dynamic qb at the level the nfl has never seen before.

He's the 3rd fastest qb in the league, and his arm talent is superior to murray/jackson.

Never seen before? Lol

Love the pick but cmon man

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMHO, Fields is the better player of the two RIGHT NOW. Jones isn't bad though, but Fields has more experience.

Lets see what happens in two years after Jones has had good coaching, and Fields has had Nagy.

That's my only worry.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Teams passed on him for one reason. EPILEPSY. Dont let them fool you with the bs excuses. That scared teams away. Theyre idiots.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Never seen before? Lol

Love the pick but cmon man
I see what youre saying but its possible. What qb can run a 4.4, has a cannon, accurate and has the potential to be an elite pocket passer? Guys that play like JF usually arent elite passers. He could be a guy who can throw like Rodgers and run like Lamar jackson.