Why Fields over Jones?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Fields was the easy and correct choice.

He's got all the tools and college pedigree to back it up. He's the type of guy the Bears should've gone for in 2007. He checks all the boxes. You take him and don't look back. If he ends up a dud, then so be it, it's always a gamble, but it's a good one.
Agreed. Honestly, this is the pick that Deshaun Watson should have been for all the same reasons.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Did anyone stop to look at what happened with the QB class this year. For the longest time it was Larence 1 and Fields 2. Then a bunch of other QBs screamed up the board somehow. Zach Wilson turned in a great season after two rather average ones. People had a whole lot of time to dream about what Lance might be able to do even though he's never really shown it on the field. Mac Jones got talked up from the 2nd round into what most people thought would be the third pick.

And through all that, somehow Fields was the one that dropped? How does that happen? He took his team to the national championship game, killing Clemson on the way and then succumbing to what's basically an NFL team in Alabama that just had it's QB, two receivers, running back and tackle go in the first round. I mean, what did Justin Fields do to get dinged down to #11?

oping00@gmail.com

Liked Posts:
Well heres one reason Fields ran a 4.4 at almost 230 pds.
Nothing against Jones, but he was surrounded by all world talent with 2 WRs going in the top 15 picks and a RB also in the 1st rd.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mac Jones had Waddle/Smith/Najee, that supporting cast makes him a little more difficult to judge. Fields is definitely the safer bet imo, who was the last pure pocket passer taken who's turned out to be good?
Yeah, that too. But i also think it shows you of what you have when you surround him with talent. Which is why a team like NE is a good pick. Hell. if ATL traded picks to get back into the top 15 it would have been a good pick.

At the end of the day, you have to make the throws. Jones does that. But again, i've been consistent with saying that if you need everything around a QB to be great for him to be great, that you don't have a great QB. I'm really intrigued by the future of Jones. I'm more interested in watching the Pats now than i ever have during the Brady dynasty.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again?

Fields is one of the greatest HS recruits of all time at the position.

Mitch was like a 3 star guy.

Yeah, I love the pick and I'm cautiously excited about his potential as a franchise player, maybe ever a star if we get lucky. But he isn't the most anything of all time at this point.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I like this move. If mahomes is the stephy curry of football, justin fields is the trae young. I am excited for bears football for the first time in a long time.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that too. But i also think it shows you of what you have when you surround him with talent. Which is why a team like NE is a good pick. Hell. if ATL traded picks to get back into the top 15 it would have been a good pick.

At the end of the day, you have to make the throws. Jones does that. But again, i've been consistent with saying that if you need everything around a QB to be great for him to be great, that you don't have a great QB. I'm really intrigued by the future of Jones. I'm more interested in watching the Pats now than i ever have during the Brady dynasty.
Agreed, I think he's maybe like a Jared Goff type. Can do damage when he has the pieces around him, but can't do a whole lot without them.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LolI hope to God he isn't watson, more of a pat mahomes.

Are you still desperately trying to deny the fact that Deshaun Watson is an elite football player? I've never seen such a sustained effort to keep one's head in the sand over a failed hot take. It almost seems personal. You aren't dating a masseuse, are you?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agreed, I think he's maybe like a Jared Goff type. Can do damage when he has the pieces around him, but can't do a whole lot without them.
If he was there at 20 and the Bears took him, i would have been cool with it. But once the picks were traded and Fields was there, you would have been nuts to take Jones with this team. Whatever. Bears got a QB. Im on the moon.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Getting space force vibes the likes of which i haven’t felt before

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
And Wilson is Josh Rosen....lol
And NCChiFan is Anytime23... This is getting silly.
Crazy how so many people were pumping up Fields yesterday, and then 14 hours later there seems to be a lot of doubt.

I wonder if other fan bases are as equally schizophrenic.
From what I'm seeing from "professional analysts" the issue isn't Fields, but is Nagy the right guy to raise the kids potential all the way up.

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And NCChiFan is Anytime23... This is getting silly.

From what I'm seeing from "professional analysts" the issue isn't Fields, but is Nagy the right guy to raise the kids potential all the way up.

So now we are already starting to make excuses if Fields doesnt pan out? Its not his fault but itll be Nagys?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That's a fair point. Also: I've worried that there are too many cooks in the QB kitchen. So I'm hoping there isn't some information overload here.

But then again, Fields is a recall genius?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Are you still desperately trying to deny the fact that Deshaun Watson is an elite football player? I've never seen such a sustained effort to keep one's head in the sand over a failed hot take. It almost seems personal. You aren't dating a masseuse, are you?
4-12 must be super elite, yawn.