Why I don't want Fields to start day 1

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's simple. Some ? of the same ppl who want him to start will be the ones ripping into him, if we aren't winning and he's not throwing 2-4 Tds/game.
I can already see some ppl calling him a "bust" and or " just another "bad OSU Qb"......if we aren't winning right away. IMO, he's gonna have more success by watching and learning from Dalton. I felt the same way about Mahomes, when he came in as a rookie.

Addendum:
I just wanna be sure he's better than Dalton out the gate and the OL can pass pro him.
Also if the vets are rallying Fields vs Dalton, then Fields should start IMO

In addition... if he's not properly prepared, goes out there and has a few bad games then ppl are gonna be calling for his head. We historically, haven't been the best at developing and preparing Qb's. So the jury's still out.

We need Nagy to get it right, before putting Fields out there.

Last edited:

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I don’t understand why anybody would want Fields to start this year. Sitting him for a year can only help, not hurt. Playing him too soon can only hurt, not help.

Even if Fields is Prime Russ, the Bears are not winning a chip in ‘21. Give him 1 more year to learn and acquire more weapons.

Dalton is also paid $10 million to absorb 1 Concussion. So you have to get your moneys worth, and let him do it. Fields should play in ‘22.

Last edited:

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t understand why anybody would want Fields to start this year. Sitting him for a year can only help, not hurt. Playing him too soon can only hurt, not help.

Even if Fields is Prime Russ, the Bears are not winning a chip in ‘20. Give him 1 more year to learn and acquire more weapons.

Dalton is also paid $10 million to absorb 1 Concussion. So you have to get your moneys worth, and let him do it. Fields should play in ‘22.

1) More reps, especially against NFL defenses can help. Additionally, the starter gets all/more 1st team reps in practice with the guys that will be playing on Sunday.
2) Getting him rusty can hurt. (File these under: Absolutes are generally wrong)
3) Dalton is a sunk cost. You don't have to "get your money's worth". That plays into the sunk cost fallacy.

I still don't understand why he is going to learn more, while playing less and getting fewer reps. It seems counterintuitive to me. Give him as much as he can handle. If Nagy disagrees, I don't mind it, the coach should do what he believes, but to me, it just feels like one of those old school NFL things that is past it's time.

If you feel like he needs to be held out of the starter role to focus on something without distraction, fine, but there is a cost to that and honestly, I have no idea what that something would be that could overcome the cost of the lost experience/reps.

Last edited:

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
1) More reps, especially against NFL defenses can help. Additionally, the starter gets all/more 1st team reps in practice with the guys that will be playing on Sunday.
2) Getting him rusty can hurt. (File these under: Absolutes are generally wrong)
3) Dalton is a sunk cost. You don't have to "get your money's worth". That plays into the sunk cost fallacy.

I still don't understand why he is going to learn more, while playing less and getting fewer reps. It seems counterintuitive to me. Give him as much as he can handle. If Nagy disagrees, I don't mind it, the coach should do what he believes, but to me, it just feels like one of those old school NFL things that is past it's time.

These are good points for sure. But for 1) would more reps help if they can’t protect him adequately? My fear is what happened to Burrow, happens to this kid. I don’t think it’s worth the risk personally. They need a lot of work on the O Line still. There’s still a huge hole at Tackle.

I know they’ll never have a perfect situation or O Line before they make the move but to me, they are doing in injustice to this kid if they throw him out in Year 1 and expect him to save the day.

With a good team next year, he can start his career at the helm of a 11-5 or 12-4 team in a division that doesn’t have Rodgers. To me, that has more value than risking him getting Killed in a year they won’t compete for a Chip anyway. It’s honestly lined up for him to have a Mahomes like break out year and loaded team for 2022..

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we all agree, we wouldn't want Fields' future to be sacrificed for the present.

I do wonder however, how much better the roster will be next year. I hope it will be, but I can't just operate under the assumption that it will be. No first round pick, aging defense may need to be patched together, whatever is going on with A-Rob, etc... It's really early to start speculating, but it definitely isn't a sure thing that the roster will take a step up.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There have been cases of QBs winning right away (Watson) and playing well after sitting a year (Mahommes)
I think it just comes down to you either have it or you don't, sitting or playing right away makes no difference.
I say if he looks ready in training camp, let the kid play.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
These are good points for sure. But for 1) would more reps help if they can’t protect him adequately? My fear is what happened to Burrow, happens to this kid. I don’t think it’s worth the risk personally. They need a lot of work on the O Line still. There’s still a huge hole at Tackle.

I know they’ll never have a perfect situation or O Line before they make the move but to me, they are doing in injustice to this kid if they throw him out in Year 1 and expect him to save the day.

With a good team next year, he can start his career at the helm of a 11-5 or 12-4 team in a division that doesn’t have Rodgers. To me, that has more value than risking him getting Killed in a year they won’t compete for a Chip anyway. It’s honestly lined up for him to have a Mahomes like break out year and loaded team for 2022..

Well, for starters, you don't play a player for fear of injury. That's ridiculous. We also have no idea how the line will do this season or if they'll be any better next season. If he's better than Dalton you absolutely start him.

Secondly, our team next year has a high probability of having the same coaching staff and about 85% of the same players. So if you think they're gonna be good next year why the hell can't they be this year??? There's more than enough talent on this team to win double digit games if Fields plays to his potential.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not sure why this keeps getting rehashed over and over and over. It's really pretty simple. If after training camp and the preseason, it is clear that Fields gives the Bears a better chance to win than Dalton, he starts. If it isn't, then he sits for a bit.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
Another variable, yup there are tons, will be the performances of the other rookie QB's, if and when they play.

If they play well... well Fields can too. If they don't play well... well good thing we are sitting Fields.

If the other rookie QBs light it up, we will be clamoring even more for Fields to play.

But hey... we have to have a decent OLine!!! Dalton will be the foot in the pool water to check the temp.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's simple. Some ? of the same ppl who want him to start will be the ones ripping into him, if we aren't winning and he's not throwing 2-4 Tds/game.
I can already see some ppl calling him a "bust" and or " just another "bad OSU Qb"......if we aren't winning right away. IMO, he's gonna have more success by watching and learning from Dalton. I felt the same way about Mahomes, when he came in as a rookie.
I agree and surely the best thing for all would be to sit 1 year.

Steve Young was my favorite growing up and he really benefited from pfe-seasons, and garbage time. For 7 years? Or something.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm fine with him starting this year, provided that he wins the job. If Nagy resorts to the rookie because he's on the hot seat, or if it is given to him for some reason other than his own performance in practice... That I don't like. But by all means if he shows in practice and at the film room that he is the QB1 then he won it fair and square.

Just don't force shit that you don't have to.

Liked Posts:
Yeah guys, we should shrink wrap him for the next 16 months and hope he's ready once we have a perfect situation for him to start in.

Honestly, I'm not worried about Fields being ready to start, I'm more worried about some of the fans on here being ready to see a real QB start for the bears.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's uncommon for NFL fans to be patient, so developing players at premium positions like QB can be hard.

IMHO Dalton should start. Ideally they are good enough to keep Fields on the bench for his entire rookie year. Maybe sprinkle him in for a series or some specific plays, but overall give him a year to adjust to the speed of the game.

Fields, like all of us, has a better chance to succeed if put in a situation to do so. If you are asking a rookie to hop in, take the reigns and make meaningful contributions right away you could also be setting them up to fail. As a prospect I like Fields less if you don't have a development plan for him. If you have a plan, then both his floor and ceiling look better.

Let me put it in a different context. Justin Fields had two really good years playing QB at Ohio St. I'm not sure he has that good of a college career without watching Jake Fromm as a freshman at Georgia. Maybe he is just as good, but overall I'd lean on how he's developed in the past and use that as a roadmap on what works.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ok cool but sitting him because of what fans on CCS will say is literally the dumbest reason to sit him yet.

Anyone want to one up this guy or is this the dumbest we can do?
@Noonthirtyjoe disliked this, which reminds me that no, that was not the dumbest we can do. Joe, please join in and give us what will be the undisputed worst Justin Fields progression plan.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure why this keeps getting rehashed over and over and over. It's really pretty simple. If after training camp and the preseason, it is clear that Fields gives the Bears a better chance to win than Dalton, he starts. If it isn't, then he sits for a bit.
point blank

anything other than this take is the wrong one.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Even if Fields is Prime Russ, the Bears are not winning a chip in ‘21. Give him 1 more year to learn and acquire more weapons.

You say, "Playing him too soon can only hurt, not help." (bold type added).

What is playing him too soon?

Based on these terms you're using, it is possible that playing Fields in 2021 may not be too soon, right?

Sitting a QB for a year can hurt if not playing in a real game for 365 days straight make you rusty, right? "Use it or lose it" is a time honored principle.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
this is not true. Mitch had time before we started calling his ass a bust