Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Before sacrificing our "franchise" QB, how about seeing if we have a competent LT? If you believe Field's long term future is more important than the team's record this year, best to see how the O line performs. If it does ok and Fields outplays Dalton, THEN put him in.
And a thing about high 1st round QBs is that they usually have enough skill to outplay the starter(why they got drafted) until they mess up in ways that don't win games and can't progress in the O because they aren't integrated enough.

I think it won't take fields long to figure things out enough to be #1 and with him, it may even be the 1st game but it still wouldn't hurt to make sure the OL is coordinated etc.
As I said people are bringing their own baggage to the table .

What is he gonna learn from WATCHING Dalton that he cant get from Dalton as if his backup ?

Im so tired of people mentioning Mahomes because they have actually convinced themselves that the only reason he is good is because he didnt play his rookie year ? The fact is Mahomes played a lot the preseason of his rookie year and actually looked very good but at the time everyone chalked it up to how stacked his offense was with Hunt, Hill, Kelce etc .

He doesn't have to throw 2-4 tds a game he doesn't have to win every game . I dont see anyone believing that Murray, Herbert, or Burrows were sucking when they where playing in their rookie years hell even Mitch got 2 years before the hammer really started to come down and it really didn't fall until year 3 .

The pressure is not on Fields but on Nagy to show that now that he has his guy things can come together .

Andy Dalton is not his guy supposedly Justin Fields is and Nagy is much more of a unique position than any of these other coaches who have drafted qbs in the first rd .This doesn't mean he plays Fields no matter what it means he should be ready as far as preparing his scheme for Fields . Hes had a young qb before and he is in a perfect spot to be able to put the team and Fields into the best position to succeed .

Andy Dalton at this juncture is a built in excuse for this season and his use of Fields.
How is he an excuse? If Dalton starts and fails it will be the opposite with fans calling for Fields to play and Nagy's hide. The McCaskey's are not looking at this as a throwaway year.

You're projecting bias with you own.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Fields wants to start, are you willing to fight him over it?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure why this keeps getting rehashed over and over and over. It's really pretty simple. If after training camp and the preseason, it is clear that Fields gives the Bears a better chance to win than Dalton, he starts. If it isn't, then he sits for a bit.
Don’t think it’s that simple at all. They will look at the long term. Doesn’t matter what we think, or the media thinks, or anyone else. If they (Pace/Nagy) think it’s in his best interests long term to sit then he will sit. And the good Lord knows Pace/Nagy don’t always do what Bears fans want.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just to be clear: the OP doesn't want Fields to start because of posters on this messageboard?
Would you expect anything more? Is he implying that Fields has rabbit ears and have his play affected? That what we say here has anything to do with his Bear fortunes? Typically odd perspective with some sort I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin' slant to it. I guess they better not plug those TVs back in at Hallas hall.

My take on Fields is that he's about as bullet proof as they come. Hard to be sure about anything at this point but I highly doubt any sort of mental strife can ruin him. I suspect the Bears' Idea is to make him the best he can be at by the end of this season and the staff will do what they think will make that happen. I expect Fields to play by midseason to have enough in system reps to be prepared for the playoffs but it could be the 1st game or next year depending on what the coaches see and Dalton's play.

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I would really have no worries about his mental readiness. This guy is as alpha as it gets
Yes, as far as physical attributes, but the NFL is not the NCAA. There is a lot of new information and verbiage to learn. Much bigger playbooks to know every single detail. I think he is smart enough to get it down quickly.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
These are good points for sure. But for 1) would more reps help if they can’t protect him adequately? My fear is what happened to Burrow, happens to this kid. I don’t think it’s worth the risk personally. They need a lot of work on the O Line still. There’s still a huge hole at Tackle.

I know they’ll never have a perfect situation or O Line before they make the move but to me, they are doing in injustice to this kid if they throw him out in Year 1 and expect him to save the day.

With a good team next year, he can start his career at the helm of a 11-5 or 12-4 team in a division that doesn’t have Rodgers. To me, that has more value than risking him getting Killed in a year they won’t compete for a Chip anyway. It’s honestly lined up for him to have a Mahomes like break out year and loaded team for 2022..
1 The flip side to Burrow getting hurt is Herbert. Herbert played behind perhaps the worst OL in the league, yet set rookie QB numbers. BTW the Bears OLine coach does not believe there is a hole at either tackle.

2 Fields is not here to "save the day" in his first year, he is here to develop as a rookie. You would lose a year of starting reps, and on field development if he were to sit the bulk of the season.

3 Let's throw a full year of development away because the Bears are not going to compete anyway...........really. You assume Fields is going to get killed behind this line. Bears OLine is not the best, but it certainly is not the worst.

4 You keep bringing up Mahomes, and sitting out 15 games worked out for him and the Chiefs, but he is the exception to the rule where we see the vast majority of highly drafted QB's start sooner rather than later.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
A couple things. They are asking a 2nd round rookie OT to step in to play a position he's rarely played, but they can't do the same for a top 11 pick, who was a consensus top 3 maybe overall talent in this draft? I understand the difference in the position and responsibilities involved with them, but that's not consistent thinking. Nobody is suggested he be handed the job to sink or swim. Those that want him to start opening day, want that because we think he can win the job outright if given an honest chance to do so.
A couple things. They are asking a 2nd round rookie OT to step in to play a position he's rarely played, but they can't do the same for a top 11 pick, who was a consensus top 3 maybe overall talent in this draft? I understand the difference in the position and responsibilities involved with them, but that's not consistent thinking. Nobody is suggested he be handed the job to sink or swim. Those that want him to start opening day, want that because we think he can win the job outright if given an honest chance to do so.

Also, Justin Fields played in 12 games as a freshman for Georgia, with double digit touches (passes + rushes) in 5 of them. Granted he did mostly watch Fromm, but this isn't college, you can't really sprinkle in QBs at the NFL level unless you're just using them for gimmick run plays and redzone plays. And you don't do that with a QB who doesn't project as that type of player in the long run. Ravens did that with Lamar Jackson in his rookie year, but they still kept that gimmick stuff in when he played as he averaged 18 carries a game after he got the job for the last 7 weeks of the season. That's not Fields' game for one, and secondly, if that's all he can do as a rookie then he shouldn't be on the field at all.
I personally
1 The flip side to Burrow getting hurt is Herbert. Herbert played behind perhaps the worst OL in the league, yet set rookie QB numbers. BTW the Bears OLine coach does not believe there is a hole at either tackle.

2 Fields is not here to "save the day" in his first year, he is here to develop as a rookie. You would lose a year of starting reps, and on field development if he were to sit the bulk of the season.

3 Let's throw a full year of development away because the Bears are not going to compete anyway...........really. You assume Fields is going to get killed behind this line. Bears OLine is not the best, but it certainly is not the worst.

4 You keep bringing up Mahomes, and sitting out 15 games worked out for him and the Chiefs, but he is the exception to the rule where we see the vast majority of highly drafted QB's start sooner rather than later.

To be honest the Herbert example is a check mate. I can’t really say shit to that. You’re right.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Just to be clear: the OP doesn't want Fields to start because of posters on this messageboard?

You're aware the OP is one of the biggest tards on the board right??

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I realize comparing any other job to the NFL is apples to oranges. But, when you start a new job do you learn best by sitting there watching someone or do you learn best by jumping in and doing it yourself? Trial by fire. Fields has the experience and played against some of the best competition in college football. If he's ready week 1 and has a solid grasp of the offense you start him and don't look back. Saying you can't start him for an entire year because he will get 'killed behind this OL' is chicken shit. Why draft a player you're to afraid to play? Do you want to wrap in him bubblewrap for his entire life?

Personally, I think Dalton gets the nod week 1 and Nagy will feel it out from there. I don't think he keeps Fields on the bench for long.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I realize comparing any other job to the NFL is apples to oranges. But, when you start a new job do you learn best by sitting there watching someone or do you learn best by jumping in and doing it yourself? Trial by fire. Fields has the experience and played against some of the best competition in college football. If he's ready week 1 and has a solid grasp of the offense you start him and don't look back. Saying you can't start him for an entire year because he will get 'killed behind this OL' is chicken shit. Why draft a player you're to afraid to play? Do you want to wrap in him bubblewrap for his entire life?

Personally, I think Dalton gets the nod week 1 and Nagy will feel it out from there. I don't think he keeps Fields on the bench for long.
BUT WHAT WILL CCS SAY IF FIELDS PLAYS AND GETS SACKED OR THROWS AN INTERCEPTION IN HIS FIRST GAME??? HOW WILL FIELDS RECOVER FROM WHAT CCS SAYS??????

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
BUT WHAT WILL CCS SAY IF FIELDS PLAYS AND GETS SACKED OR THROWS AN INTERCEPTION IN HIS FIRST GAME??? HOW WILL FIELDS RECOVER FROM WHAT CCS SAYS??????
sir, why are you yelling

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ok cool but sitting him because of what fans on CCS will say is literally the dumbest reason to sit him yet.

Anyone want to one up this guy or is this the dumbest we can do?

Here's what else I said

IMO, he's gonna have more success by watching and learning from Dalton. I felt the same way about Mahomes, when he came in as a rookie.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I definitely feel Dalton will get the job in Week 1. My only issue with that is if he isn't the better QB. And I don't think there's many scenarios where Dalton is the better QB in camp, because Dalton is a below average QB. Because Dalton is a below average QB (who has also had his share of injuries recently), it's probably a short matter of time until he finds his way on the bench. And if it's a scenario like last year where you're pulling the starter (who got the job by default) at the first sign of struggling, to put in the guy you really want to play.....then you might as well just play Fields from the beginning. Nobody will care all that much if Fields struggles early, because he will also show promise of his potential as he has always done.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Im ok with whatever they decide. I just think it should be decided on the field in training camp and preseason. And it should be completely dependent on how Fields looks. If Fields has full command of the offense and clearly outplays Dalton they should play him. If for example Dalton looks like shit AND Fields does NOT have full command of the offense and playbook they should still trot out Dalton until Fields is ready. Everything should be about Fields development and I’m hoping that is reflected in reps.

Agreed.

I've said this several times ......if it's 'Matt Flynn-Russell Wilson' type situation, YES, start Fields.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Here's what else I said

IMO, he's gonna have more success by watching and learning from Dalton. I felt the same way about Mahomes, when he came in as a rookie.
Cool

But the other stuff you said was really dumb.