Why I don't want Fields to start day 1

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
It's uncommon for NFL fans to be patient, so developing players at premium positions like QB can be hard.

IMHO Dalton should start. Ideally they are good enough to keep Fields on the bench for his entire rookie year. Maybe sprinkle him in for a series or some specific plays, but overall give him a year to adjust to the speed of the game.

Fields, like all of us, has a better chance to succeed if put in a situation to do so. If you are asking a rookie to hop in, take the reigns and make meaningful contributions right away you could also be setting them up to fail. As a prospect I like Fields less if you don't have a development plan for him. If you have a plan, then both his floor and ceiling look better.

Let me put it in a different context. Justin Fields had two really good years playing QB at Ohio St. I'm not sure he has that good of a college career without watching Jake Fromm as a freshman at Georgia. Maybe he is just as good, but overall I'd lean on how he's developed in the past and use that as a roadmap on what works.
You say, "Playing him too soon can only hurt, not help." (bold type added).

What is playing him too soon?

Based on these terms you're using, it is possible that playing Fields in 2021 may not be too soon, right?

Sitting a QB for a year can hurt if not playing in a real game for 365 days straight make you rusty, right? "Use it or lose it" is a time honored principle.

Did Mahomes get rusty by not playing for 365 days? He’s not going to forget how to toss a football by sitting and learning behind a Vet.

I think it can only help him because this is one of the biggest fan base in sports and the expectations are not reasonable by putting him out there in Year 1 and expecting him to save the day. You usually try to do what’s best for the multi million $ asset instead of what’s best for the fans. People are already saying they “expect” the Bears to be a playoff contending team with Fields. Hopefully the Bears have more foresight and patience

I also copied Pegger’s post because it summarizes how I feel perfectly. Just my opinion.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It's simple. Some ? of the same ppl who want him to start will be the ones ripping into him, if we aren't winning and he's not throwing 2-4 Tds/game.
I can already see some ppl calling him a "bust" and or " just another "bad OSU Qb"......if we aren't winning right away. IMO, he's gonna have more success by watching and learning from Dalton. I felt the same way about Mahomes, when he came in as a rookie.

Im ok with whatever they decide. I just think it should be decided on the field in training camp and preseason. And it should be completely dependent on how Fields looks. If Fields has full command of the offense and clearly outplays Dalton they should play him. If for example Dalton looks like shit AND Fields does NOT have full command of the offense and playbook they should still trot out Dalton until Fields is ready. Everything should be about Fields development and I’m hoping that is reflected in reps.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It's uncommon for NFL fans to be patient, so developing players at premium positions like QB can be hard.

IMHO Dalton should start. Ideally they are good enough to keep Fields on the bench for his entire rookie year. Maybe sprinkle him in for a series or some specific plays, but overall give him a year to adjust to the speed of the game.

Fields, like all of us, has a better chance to succeed if put in a situation to do so. If you are asking a rookie to hop in, take the reigns and make meaningful contributions right away you could also be setting them up to fail. As a prospect I like Fields less if you don't have a development plan for him. If you have a plan, then both his floor and ceiling look better.

Let me put it in a different context. Justin Fields had two really good years playing QB at Ohio St. I'm not sure he has that good of a college career without watching Jake Fromm as a freshman at Georgia. Maybe he is just as good, but overall I'd lean on how he's developed in the past and use that as a roadmap on what works.

A couple things. They are asking a 2nd round rookie OT to step in to play a position he's rarely played, but they can't do the same for a top 11 pick, who was a consensus top 3 maybe overall talent in this draft? I understand the difference in the position and responsibilities involved with them, but that's not consistent thinking. Nobody is suggested he be handed the job to sink or swim. Those that want him to start opening day, want that because we think he can win the job outright if given an honest chance to do so.

Also, Justin Fields played in 12 games as a freshman for Georgia, with double digit touches (passes + rushes) in 5 of them. Granted he did mostly watch Fromm, but this isn't college, you can't really sprinkle in QBs at the NFL level unless you're just using them for gimmick run plays and redzone plays. And you don't do that with a QB who doesn't project as that type of player in the long run. Ravens did that with Lamar Jackson in his rookie year, but they still kept that gimmick stuff in when he played as he averaged 18 carries a game after he got the job for the last 7 weeks of the season. That's not Fields' game for one, and secondly, if that's all he can do as a rookie then he shouldn't be on the field at all.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The only reason to sit him is to prevent rookie mistakes from loosing games and to allow him enough looks at real in season Ds against this scheme to have confidence in his reads, adjustments and assignments. Tat and see what he's waling into in terms of line play etc. Once you think he's far enough along to grow from those reps as opposed to simply making plays outside the system, he should start.

You do not learn as much or help the team as much from out of system reps (even if they gain yardage) and can accelerate your development form good ones. The idea is to make the playoffs and to have Fields as efficient as possible by the time he faces those playoff Ds. It's not just about his arm and athleticism. That's not enough when it counts.

Yah, I know, but if you're not thinking ahead to the playoffs, you shouldn't be the HC.

Last edited:

napo55

Liked Posts:
Before sacrificing our "franchise" QB, how about seeing if we have a competent LT? If you believe Field's long term future is more important than the team's record this year, best to see how the O line performs. If it does ok and Fields outplays Dalton, THEN put him in.

Bust

Liked Posts:
It's simple. Some ? of the same ppl who want him to start will be the ones ripping into him, if we aren't winning and he's not throwing 2-4 Tds/game.
I can already see some ppl calling him a "bust" and or " just another "bad OSU Qb"......if we aren't winning right away. IMO, he's gonna have more success by watching and learning from Dalton. I felt the same way about Mahomes, when he came in as a rookie.

You making it sound like he replacing an all pro at the qb position.

Have to consider how low the bar is to begin with. Fields just needs to be better then the Mitch Trubisky / Jay Cutler. Difficult task I realize. And considering both these clowns saved all their worst games for Green Bay, if Fields beats GB this year he will become an overnight legend.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
You making it sound like he replacing an all pro at the qb position.

Have to consider how low the bar is to begin with. Fields just needs to be better then the Mitch Trubisky / Jay Cutler. Difficult task I realize. And considering both these clowns saved all their worst games for Green Bay, if Fields beats GB this year he will become an overnight legend.
Rex beat GB his first start I believe. I actually think the first play of the game was a TD bomb to Berrian. Might not have been his first overall start, but I recall something like this.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Should we sit him for a bit, or let him play from day 1? I don’t know. You don’t know. NAGY doesn’t even know. It will be decided step by step through OTAs and camp. There is no hard and fast rule that must, or should, be followed.

Be patient and let it play out...

Stonewall

Liked Posts:
Andy Dalton was an average qb during his Tenure on the Bengals and below average last year with the Cowboys and his last year at Cincinnati.

I see Fields making an impression and earning the job.

There are going to be throws Dalton will not be able to make that Fields can hit consistently that expand Nagys offense.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Before sacrificing our "franchise" QB, how about seeing if we have a competent LT? If you believe Field's long term future is more important than the team's record this year, best to see how the O line performs. If it does ok and Fields outplays Dalton, THEN put him in.

Its all important but no way does a damn LT stop you from playing your best QB.

If we never get a decent LT do we never play Fields then ? At a certain point people have got to realize that some of these takes make no damn sense

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Did Mahomes get rusty by not playing for 365 days? He’s not going to forget how to toss a football by sitting and learning behind a Vet.

I think it can only help him because this is one of the biggest fan base in sports and the expectations are not reasonable by putting him out there in Year 1 and expecting him to save the day. You usually try to do what’s best for the multi million $ asset instead of what’s best for the fans. People are already saying they “expect” the Bears to be a playoff contending team with Fields. Hopefully the Bears have more foresight and patience

I also copied Pegger’s post because it summarizes how I feel perfectly. Just my opinion.

Did Russell Wilson get ruined by starting Day 1????? Not all rookie QB's need to sit.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Next Tuesday is the OTA that will have media in attendance before the mini-camp (I think). It will be interesting to see what comments come from them when you can start to compare and contrast Dalton and Fields and how they are running the offense/huddle.

I know it's crazy talk, but people just need to be patient right now and let both the coaches and Fields do their jobs to get ready for the season. I don't get the sense that anyone within the Bears organization has made any final decisions in May for who will start week 1. Let the process play out and I have no doubt that before we know it, Fields will be the starting qb of the Bears.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

As I said people are bringing their own baggage to the table .

What is he gonna learn from WATCHING Dalton that he cant get from Dalton as if his backup ?

Im so tired of people mentioning Mahomes because they have actually convinced themselves that the only reason he is good is because he didnt play his rookie year ? The fact is Mahomes played a lot the preseason of his rookie year and actually looked very good but at the time everyone chalked it up to how stacked his offense was with Hunt, Hill, Kelce etc .

He doesn't have to throw 2-4 tds a game he doesn't have to win every game . I dont see anyone believing that Murray, Herbert, or Burrows were sucking when they where playing in their rookie years hell even Mitch got 2 years before the hammer really started to come down and it really didn't fall until year 3 .

The pressure is not on Fields but on Nagy to show that now that he has his guy things can come together .

Andy Dalton is not his guy supposedly Justin Fields is and Nagy is much more of a unique position than any of these other coaches who have drafted qbs in the first rd .This doesn't mean he plays Fields no matter what it means he should be ready as far as preparing his scheme for Fields . Hes had a young qb before and he is in a perfect spot to be able to put the team and Fields into the best position to succeed .

Andy Dalton at this juncture is a built in excuse for this season and his use of Fields.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I dont want Fields to start because Beerz fans booed Mitch at da bullz game er somethin

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
To me there are two situations where you don't start Fields, the first one being rather unlikely and the second one being a realistic concern:

1) He has some horrible instincts that need to be worked out in practice before putting him in games where he is more likely to work his way back into

2) The offensive line is not ready and you don't want Fields running for his life every snap from the first snap on

Other than that, he should be out there learning as the game progresses

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do people honestly believe Nagy has the patience to not play Fields the entire season? lol

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
This is literally something completely beyond any and all understanding for me personally as it is exactly like someone being married to a mediocre marriage with a wife of pure mediocrity when you finally discovered the absolute love of your life and she is just smoking hot and knows how to bang like the best you have ever had and somehow you are afraid to divorce because you didn't pre-nuptialize your relationship and you are afraid about what your friends and neighbors will say when you literally kick old wife to the curb and your new soul-mate wife gets little too drunk at your first big BBQ party when your old wife didn't even know how to throw a BBQ party. Follow your heart!!!

jts1207

Liked Posts:
It helps nothing but buys another year for the current regime

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
To me there are two situations where you don't start Fields, the first one being rather unlikely and the second one being a realistic concern:

1) He has some horrible instincts that need to be worked out in practice before putting him in games where he is more likely to work his way back into

2) The offensive line is not ready and you don't want Fields running for his life every snap from the first snap on

Other than that, he should be out there learning as the game progresses
I think the one thing that would keep hole Fields from starting is being ready mentally.