Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Alabama was a top 20 defense, and he was playing hurt...

EachFixedBlacklab-size_restricted.gif
I was referring to Indiana and Northwestern.....it’s what the local media always brings up. For some odd reason

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Gosh darnit, we can't draft that peyton manning guy. Nebraska embarrassed him.

/s

Seriously, that clemson game by Fields was as impressed I've ever been by a prospect I wasn't too high on. It made me change my tune on wanting him.

Every QB has clunkers, some people don't remember past last year. Peyton laid an absolute egg in his last game as a college athlete.

3-1 against Bama doe!

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Would anyone here bet their job/career on Andy Dalton?

Didn't think so.
I can't believe people actually think Dalton is option A....He may end up that way but the Bears will explore every option to improve that position; and if they can find a reasonable trade to move up and draft Fields, the Bears should be all over that

TL1961

Liked Posts:
No point in drafting after the 4th. Might as well write a name on toilet paper and wipe your ass with it.

Yes, I heard of Tom Brady. That was eons ago.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Because it makes no sense to.

If Pace and Nagy are really on the "hot seat" as everyone around here says, and if they are really in a "win now" mode, and if they will be fired if the Bears don't make a decent playoff run this season, why in the heck would they trade up to take a QB early?

For the Bears to trade up high enough to get a QB that would be a difference-maker this season, they would have to trade up higher in the first round, potentially much higher. All their draft capital would be gone. The team wouldn't get better. You'd have a QB for the future potentially, but at the expense of improving your team this season. That makes no sense for a "hot seat" crew.

There's no way they draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. The chance of a 2nd or 3rd round QB making a difference this season is essentially zero.

Does anyone seriously think that the Bears could win (deep into the playoffs) with a rookie QB this season, while at the same time trading away all their draft capital? Does anyone seriously think that taking, say, Mac Jones, even if he slides somewhat, will make the Bears a contender, all while missing out on the rest of the draft?

No freaking way.

The Bears need offensive linemen, CB's, WR's, and depth at other positions.

The Bears have a proven QB now in Dalton. Any draft pick is entirely un-proven, as we learned with Mitch. The Bears can win with Dalton, as long as we have an OL to protect him.

My bet is that the Bears take two OL's, a CB, and a WR with their first four picks. If, and it's a big if, they get a QB, it will be a project in round 6, or an UDFA.

I know you’ve denied it, but I’m not buying it. You’ve got to be the Red Rocket. Either that or fucking blind and on the spectrum. AD blows.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Good QB's want to go to a team that has a good OL. I still can't believe that Burrow didn't pull an "Eli Manning" and refuse to go to Cincy. Cincy hasn't had a good OL since 2015. I knew they were gonna get Burrow killed and they damn near did.

I think the Bears should stock up on offensive linemen, and try to pick up a new QB in free agency next season if they aren't happy with Dalton. Once you have your 30-something QB you are happy with, you start taking bets on the draft on the next new guy.

But to walk away from this OL-rich draft without picking up some major talent at the position seems like a total waste to me. Especially since getting one of the top 3 QB's will essentially erode the entire draft class.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
I know you’ve denied it, but I’m not buying it. You’ve got to be the Red Rocket. Either that or fucking blind and on the spectrum. AD blows.

Nope. I don't even have red hair dude. And I played OL in high school. So, no, I'm not Red, and my arm is no Rocket.

And no I'm not blind and I am not autistic! :):)

I do however think that AD is better than you all give him credit for. Seriously, you all probably haven't even seen him play that much. You just don't know what you've got and you'd rather shit on him than give it a chance.

If he sucks I'll come on here and take my whippin, promise.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Dalton sucks as much as I think Nagy does - He wanted Nick Foles to lead this team from the git go and as soon as he had a chance to do it - He did... But Nagy's ineptness at offensive scheming and playbook was to obvious. Every team has figured him out for the last 2 seasons- Foles got body slammed and injured along with some OLineman hurt along the way - if it continued it would have been the same shit show all season.

Thats why when Lazor took over the offense it turned around playing more soundly and scoring some points.

I doubt they would let them trade the farm to get anyone with Nagy or Pace - If something falls that way for them they might make a minimal impact trade up, but George has already watched these two idiots fuck up everything they have touched, especially Nagy - Go look at Kyle Longs comments and stories about Nagy, he pretty much lays it out that Nagy is a blithering idiot.

I know your a big AD fan - But if you see Nagy calling plays the first game of the season - You better start praying for the guy.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would anyone here bet their job/career on Andy Dalton?

Didn't think so.

plus if bears get a rookie qb, if he gets playing time and shows any sort of measurable progress, that will be an argument for pace/nagy to stay even if the record isn't great

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still in la-la land hoping they go full draft this year, then send futures for Russell Wilson, who we all SHOULD know simply cannot move til June 1st due to cap hit reasons for SEA. Screw overpaying on coin-flip rookies when 1/3 of the NFL is also shopping for QB. Sure, grab a mid-late round developmental QB prospect, but don't blow the wad unless really certain.

Feel free to disagree, but I'm ZERO % certain that Nagy can develop ANY rookie QB, ESPECIALLY until OT is solved TWICE!!

Even Mahomes couldn't do shit in the SB with a patchwork OL in KC/Nagy's system. To think a rookie can do better in CHI with Nagy calling anti-situational dum-dum plays is cray-cray. Any rookie worth his salt will argue with Nagy & get put in the doghouse with Ridley right?

Russell Wilson is the only one who would have more clout, experience, & power than Nagy, esp. if they spend the future to get him. Again, just me & my logical out-there hopes & dreams. ?‍♂️

That said; most likely: Watch Pace gamble on a #5 QB anyway and say "conviction" and "excited" 39 times at the podium. ?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
When did Dalton become a proven QB and not the aged has been before he ever was? People act like he had a good year with Dallas after Dak went down. He may have had a decent year by Dalton standards but not by NFL standards. Wouldn't even be in the top 20 QBs in the NFL so I don't see how anyone could believe they're going very far with him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I can't believe people actually think Dalton is option A....He may end up that way but the Bears will explore every option to improve that position; and if they can find a reasonable trade to move up and draft Fields, the Bears should be all over that
If true then signing him was even more stupid than it already looks. Why spend millions of cap space to sign a guy that you basically already have on the roster just to draft another guy you hope beats him out? Just roll with Foles and a camp body.

With Glennon at least they had 0 QB's on the roster when they signed him and it was a decent smokescreen. Signing Dalton, maybe marginally improved the position, and no one thinks that ended Chicago's desire to draft a QB.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
They are not on the hot seat. But I still think the chance is slim we go QB early.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If I am GM for the draft, this is my decision point.

1. If the 9ers select Jones, I already have a trade worked out with Atlanta, and I am prepared to sweeten the offer if there is competition to get Fields.

2. If Lance falls to the Giants, I am prepared to make them an offer

3. Stay put/trade back if those fall apart and get a top 15 talent

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I disagree with the OP completely.

Windy is right. Dalton is essentially a souped up Mike Glennon. You can't go into the season with the plan for him to start 16 games. At least last year with Foles/Trubisky, you had some upside. Trubisky was young and you had hope he had some upside left. Foles you were helping would catch lightning in a bottle for a 2nd time in 3-4 years. Dalton hasn't been a league average QB since 2016. He's not going to be good enough to save jobs this year. Pace and Nagy HAVE to know this!

And yes, logically the Bears do need offensive linemen. But you're talking about the same GM that has needed offensive linemen for the last 3 years and added only Germain Ifedi. They are 100% NOT taking 2 OL in the first 4 picks. Maybe they draft a guy early and cut Leno because they have no cap to even sign their draft picks, but that's it. They aren't benching Whitehair or Daniels. They also aren't putting them back at C where both were below average. They aren't bringing Ifedi off the bench when they gave him 4.5M of like their 12M in cap after the Robinson tag. Oh and there's the simple fact that Pace hasn't drafted a tackle before the 6th round in 6 years as GM. Last year was the only time he's ever even picked 2 OL in the same draft, period. And the first one was picked 226th overall.

You WANT the Bears to pick multiple linemen. We all do. But it's not going to happen. There's no reason to think it will, if you're being realistic about it.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Good QB's want to go to a team that has a good OL. I still can't believe that Burrow didn't pull an "Eli Manning" and refuse to go to Cincy. Cincy hasn't had a good OL since 2015. I knew they were gonna get Burrow killed and they damn near did.

I think the Bears should stock up on offensive linemen, and try to pick up a new QB in free agency next season if they aren't happy with Dalton. Once you have your 30-something QB you are happy with, you start taking bets on the draft on the next new guy.

But to walk away from this OL-rich draft without picking up some major talent at the position seems like a total waste to me. Especially since getting one of the top 3 QB's will essentially erode the entire draft class.

So in a perfect world, you're right. The premise of 'win the trenches' with an OL(nay, OT because interior OL isn't an issue) rich draft is something smart teams with success do. Baltimore and Tennessee especially haven't won the lottery on QBs but get an awful lot out of an electrifying athlete/still-developing decision-maker in Lamar and Ryan Tannehill because of strong run games and they can protect both of them. That's what you're supposed to do.

But if you're Ryan Pace and you're in a year where you need to save your job, you need a young QB to trot out later this year to show late in the season a glimmer of hope. It'd be far easier to say 'but I found the guy' to George and Ted while OT probably gets left by the wayside in that Pace hasn't cut Leno's useless ass, resigned Ifedi, and signed a swing OT from Denver. Insert obvious reality of 'can you find a gem at QB late in the draft--yes/is it likely--probably not.'

But I'm half-full. I've found watching Leno's constant struggle since 2017 with fundamentals of footwork and hand fighting while also forgetting the snap count to be an art. Can't wait to see when another immobile QB can do when Leno can't give him 3 seconds...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They’ll take one if they feel the value is there and they don’t need to give away a few drafts. I don’t think we’ll see an extreme move up nor them ignoring the position. Like most drafts, how it falls will have a strong influence unless they are targeting a specific tier 2 QB.

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Because it makes no sense to.

If Pace and Nagy are really on the "hot seat" as everyone around here says, and if they are really in a "win now" mode, and if they will be fired if the Bears don't make a decent playoff run this season, why in the heck would they trade up to take a QB early?
Because people are incorrectly assuming the Bears have to win this year to keep their jobs. There is no definitive evidence of this. And there is a case to be made that drafting a QB buys them more years.