Why the Bears won't take a QB before round 4

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I've said this for a while.

The surest sign you could possibly get at this point that Pace's job is secure (and possibly Nagy as well) is if they trade up for a QB. If that happens, you can take it to the bank that Pace has another 3-4 years to see his QB through.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can't believe people actually think Dalton is option A....He may end up that way but the Bears will explore every option to improve that position; and if they can find a reasonable trade to move up and draft Fields, the Bears should be all over that

This is what I think as well.

Your owner and president could not shut up about the QB position in the post season press conference and your big answer to that is Andy Freaking Dalton.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've said this for a while.

The surest sign you could possibly get at this point that Pace's job is secure (and possibly Nagy as well) is if they trade up for a QB. If that happens, you can take it to the bank that Pace has another 3-4 years to see his QB through.

That is why he will do it. It buys them 2022 for sure and longer if the QB shows a pulse.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
plus if bears get a rookie qb, if he gets playing time and shows any sort of measurable progress, that will be an argument for pace/nagy to stay even if the record isn't great

Probably a greater argument than winning 8-9 games with Dalton.

If you aren't competing, you need to be developing, and Dalton is neither.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
That is why he will do it. It buys them 2022 for sure and longer if the QB shows a pulse.
Management wouldn't let him trade numerous first round picks if they weren't sure if they wanted to retain him. That would be like them saying "sure, fuck us over on your way out the door, I don't care!" So if he does trade numerous firsts, it's a pretty sure bet that management has liked what they've seen enough from Pace to extend him for 3 years beyond this one and let him see another top QB pick through.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
When did Dalton become a proven QB and not the aged has been before he ever was? People act like he had a good year with Dallas after Dak went down. He may have had a decent year by Dalton standards but not by NFL standards. Wouldn't even be in the top 20 QBs in the NFL so I don't see how anyone could believe they're going very far with him.

dude. The game doesn’t work that way. There is no qb who could’ve won with the pile of garbage players, the coaching carousel, and the horrible culture that was the Bengals from 2016-2019. Then you throw him into the mix in Dallas, no training camp, no reps, he’s the backup, the Dallas line was in shambles. He actually did great given the circumstances.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I disagree with the OP completely.

Windy is right. Dalton is essentially a souped up Mike Glennon. You can't go into the season with the plan for him to start 16 games. At least last year with Foles/Trubisky, you had some upside. Trubisky was young and you had hope he had some upside left. Foles you were helping would catch lightning in a bottle for a 2nd time in 3-4 years. Dalton hasn't been a league average QB since 2016. He's not going to be good enough to save jobs this year. Pace and Nagy HAVE to know this!

And yes, logically the Bears do need offensive linemen. But you're talking about the same GM that has needed offensive linemen for the last 3 years and added only Germain Ifedi. They are 100% NOT taking 2 OL in the first 4 picks. Maybe they draft a guy early and cut Leno because they have no cap to even sign their draft picks, but that's it. They aren't benching Whitehair or Daniels. They also aren't putting them back at C where both were below average. They aren't bringing Ifedi off the bench when they gave him 4.5M of like their 12M in cap after the Robinson tag. Oh and there's the simple fact that Pace hasn't drafted a tackle before the 6th round in 6 years as GM. Last year was the only time he's ever even picked 2 OL in the same draft, period. And the first one was picked 226th overall.

You WANT the Bears to pick multiple linemen. We all do. But it's not going to happen. There's no reason to think it will, if you're being realistic about it.

that’s disappointing because drafting linemen is the right play for this draft. They obviously have a problem with qb talent evaluation and development. So the Bears need a proven commodity at QB, and in the meantime, linemen to protect—and attract!—good QB talent.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Because people are incorrectly assuming the Bears have to win this year to keep their jobs. There is no definitive evidence of this. And there is a case to be made that drafting a QB buys them more years.

ok so if popular opinion is wrong (often is) and Pace and Nagy aren’t on the hot seat, then maybe taking a young QB makes sense. But then what? Get him killed a la Joe Burrow? I still think we need linemen and this is the draft to do it. It’s almost in no-brainer territory for me.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I love how many people here are absolutely sure what the Bears are doing. Truth is I don't have a clue whats going to happen. And they don't either. When you pick at 20 you're at the mercy of other teams and not in control of your own destiny.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably a greater argument than winning 8-9 games with Dalton.

If you aren't competing, you need to be developing, and Dalton is neither.

yeah, bottom line - if Pace/Nagy want to stay, imo they will have to show some capacity to address the QB position

even if bears get 10 or more wins, I don't see how there can be faith in them if they're still limping at QB

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
OP I think your bias of what you think they should do is clouding your prediction of what they will do. Trades that give away the future and ignoring obvious problems on offense is what Pace does.
All signs point to Pace not knowing there is a problem on offense outside of QB and his history says he might think he has the next great one there too.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I think some are putting too much emphasis on "hot seat" discussions. It really doesn't matter. No team wants to suck year after year. They need to get better and QB is where it all starts. Getting Dalton means absolutely nothing. If anything, it can be used as a smoke screen for the draft and/or if anything else, just insurance of getting a vet (even though they overpaid).

Look what happened when they paid Glennon almost double. They got Mitch and the rest is history. Point is, Bears have sucked at contracts for a few players when they used to be known for good deals, fast and early.

I don't care if Nagy and Pace are or aren't on the hot seat. This team has obvious holes and whoever comes here has to fill them in.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Because it makes no sense to.

If Pace and Nagy are really on the "hot seat" as everyone around here says, and if they are really in a "win now" mode, and if they will be fired if the Bears don't make a decent playoff run this season, why in the heck would they trade up to take a QB early?
good point

Because people are incorrectly assuming the Bears have to win this year to keep their jobs. There is no definitive evidence of this. And there is a case to be made that drafting a QB buys them more years.

I think if they have a below 500 season...Pace and Nagy are gone

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
dude. The game doesn’t work that way. There is no qb who could’ve won with the pile of garbage players, the coaching carousel, and the horrible culture that was the Bengals from 2016-2019. Then you throw him into the mix in Dallas, no training camp, no reps, he’s the backup, the Dallas line was in shambles. He actually did great given the circumstances.
Sounds like fanboy BS and as dumb and clueless as this thread is. Oh no, Bears shouldn't shoot for a QB in the draft cause Bears have Andy Dalton, a bottom tier QB replacing another bottom tier QB. And they have him for 1 whole year so no need to concern ourselves about finding a real QB any time soon. hahaha

You'd be hard pressed to find a single football expert who'd even put Dalton in the top 25 in the league right now. As often as the Bears have trotted out crap QBs, you'd think their fans would find it easier to spot a crap QB by now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t see the downside of a massive trade up for Pace. Let’s say he trades up for Justin Fields

Hits: he is likely the GM for a decade. He would have broken the curse and set the team up for extended contention.

Misses: he is fired. Which he was likely anyway and the lack of picks are the next guys problem. He probably gets a job with Atlanta where his buddy is GM and who he just fed a bunch of picks.

If you are likely fired why not go down swinging?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Ryan Pace is to drafting QBs as Jon Lester is to throwing to 1st base.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Rumor has it that Ryan Pace always finishes in last place in his fantasy football league because he never drafts a QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sacrificing a 50ish pick on a QB isn't going to make or break this season anyway.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love how many people here are absolutely sure what the Bears are doing. Truth is I don't have a clue whats going to happen. And they don't either. When you pick at 20 you're at the mercy of other teams and not in control of your own destiny.
I just gave my 'what will Pace do in this draft' ideas in another thread. They were appropriately vague.:)

The idea that one rookie pick is going to radically change the Bear fortunes this year is silly. The only way that could possibly happen is if you mortgage some future for a player like Fields, he's all that and acclimates quickly.

I get that pace would like to keep his job next year but what about the following year when his old QBs aren't signed and another year older? He won't be that short sighted.

Last edited: