Why the Bears won't take a QB before round 4

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dalton was playing in the worst division and having Elliott, Cooper, Gallup and Lamb, still could not win games

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Sounds like fanboy BS and as dumb and clueless as this thread is. Oh no, Bears shouldn't shoot for a QB in the draft cause Bears have Andy Dalton, a bottom tier QB replacing another bottom tier QB. And they have him for 1 whole year so no need to concern ourselves about finding a real QB any time soon. hahaha

You'd be hard pressed to find a single football expert who'd even put Dalton in the top 25 in the league right now. As often as the Bears have trotted out crap QBs, you'd think their fans would find it easier to spot a crap QB by now.

Let’s just say he is #25. (I think he’s higher but whatever). Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a top 25 qb in the draft? There’s been what, 150 or so qb’s drafted or highly regarded UDFA’the last ten years. 300 maybe if you go back to Brady’s draft. Obviously the higher the pick the greater chance of success.

There are tons of misses. Even in round 1. Bears fans know all about that. My point is not that Dalton is “the best”, it is that eroding all your draft capital on one qb, that you have no idea if he will ever be a top 25 player, when you can’t even protect him yet, is dumb.

Build an o-line. Then get a qb. That is a much more successful formula than drafting a qb and getting him killed /ruined.

And yes in the meantime I think the Bears have a good qb in Dalton.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Let’s just say he is #25. (I think he’s higher but whatever). Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a top 25 qb in the draft? There’s been what, 150 or so qb’s drafted or highly regarded UDFA’the last ten years. 300 maybe if you go back to Brady’s draft. Obviously the higher the pick the greater chance of success.

There are tons of misses. Even in round 1. Bears fans know all about that. My point is not that Dalton is “the best”, it is that eroding all your draft capital on one qb, that you have no idea if he will ever be a top 25 player, when you can’t even protect him yet, is dumb.

Build an o-line. Then get a qb. That is a much more successful formula than drafting a qb and getting him killed /ruined.

I’m not saying the strategy you mentioned is bad but why is it any more successful then finding your QB first and then building your O line after? If the Bears draft a QB there is a good chance they sit behind Dalton. They still would have enough draft picks this year and next to grab an O lineman or 2. With either strategy, there is no guarantee the QB you grab will pan out.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
I’m not saying the strategy you mentioned is bad but why is it any more successful then finding your QB first and then building your O line after? If the Bears draft a QB there is a good chance they sit behind Dalton. They still would have enough draft picks this year and next to grab an O lineman or 2. With either strategy, there is no guarantee the QB you grab will pan out.

I see your point. However this year is unusually rich in high-quality offensive linemen in the first two rounds. We have a great chance to take an excellent offensive tackle even at the 20th pick, and then again in the second round if we want. The quarterbacks in the draft are really not that great beyond the second or third overall pick, so getting high quality OL is a really smart play.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
that’s disappointing because drafting linemen is the right play for this draft. They obviously have a problem with qb talent evaluation and development. So the Bears need a proven commodity at QB, and in the meantime, linemen to protect—and attract!—good QB talent.
Proven commodity at QB......Bears came close with Wilson. Dalton was an afterthought as in oh shit we do need a warm body to play quarterback who MAY be better than Foles. Bears do need an OT and most likely will take one early. That being said Pace/Nagy also need a quarterback to develop, one of the tier 2 guys also with a high pick. That way they can say Dalton is our QB1 for this year because we need time to develop the rookie quarterback.

Dalton is here for one year, and could very well not be the starter for very long if rookie shows a pulse.
Dalton was playing in the worst division and having Elliott, Cooper, Gallup and Lamb, still could not win games
Well on this point I would say those wr's were all Dalton had. Bad bad OL, Elliot's worst year as a pro, no TE's to speak of, horrible defense. It is no wonder a QB like Dalton who needs everything around him to be somewhat productive could not produce.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I see your point. However this year is unusually rich in high-quality offensive linemen in the first two rounds. We have a great chance to take an excellent offensive tackle even at the 20th pick, and then again in the second round if we want. The quarterbacks in the draft are really not that great beyond the second or third overall pick, so getting high quality OL is a really smart play.
I get that too but it’s also easier to find OL then it is a QB. I don’t watch a lot of college football but I’m sure there will be plenty of quality OL prospects available next year. From what I’ve read here, it doesn’t sound like the QB prospects will be that great next year. If I could, I’d trade up to get a top 4 QB prospect this year and start filling out the OL within the next couple seasons. Having great OL with no QB behind them is not a recipe for success.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

[
/QUOTE]
And this proves you don't know what's going on. When is the last time Dalton was even in the top 20 QBs in rating? When was the last time a team won with him? You try to to believe he'll do better with the Bears as if the Bears are setup to make a washed up QB, who's been reduced to backup status, better than he has been in years.

And this just in, oline players can bust just as easily as any other player taken in the draft. Sewell would be seen as the only "sure thing" and Bears certainly aren't getting him. There's a reason teams don't make that huge move up for a lineman in the draft as they frequently do for QBs. QB is the single most important position. Nobody in football, who wants to win, will disregard or put it off as some silly fans would.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's a lot being taken for granted here regarding OL. We need Tackles. The only Bears pick that would project to LT if #1. Daniels and Whitehair aren't going anywhere and replacing Mustifer after how he grew into the center position last year would be huge mistake. You can find a RT in round 2 and like any position, there's exceptions that come later or get coached up from previous drafts but most T drafted later become NFL Gs. Hambright is a good example and looked promising inside last year. He's been moved inside to backup and should be next in before Bars if we lose another G.

What I'm getting at is that a lot of the angst over not taking a LT in 2 is wasted energy. Draft will fall like it does and I'm against giving away a bunch more #1s for a QB but if a guy like Fields falls to where Pace doesn't have to sell the farm, go for it. If he makes a small move for Darrisaw I'd also be OK with that. LT is the 2nd hardest position to fill properly and outside of exceptions like Leno and a few others, tend to come from round one.

If he passes on a guy like Darrisaw for Mills etc, I'll be livid though I will wait and see before totally damning him. I've learned that it's difficult to truly judge a draft until year 2 or with QBs, 3. For me, Darrisaw and Cosmi are last true LT projections.

Last edited: