Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Do you mean to tell me that in all of youtube, you couldn't have found a single video containing that song that would have been more appropriate in a discussion about a baseball statistic other than one with soldiers coming back from war splashed in it?

Yes.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Until the Troll Patrol showed up and shit all over it.

Because at the position of 1B, generally regarded as the least important defensive position on the field, defense is not equal to offense.

In fact probably the ONLY position that should have defense weighted equally to offense in baseball is Catcher.

You're right. Tell you what, instead of having first basemen practice defense, we'll just put a second DH in each AL lineup and put a giant basket over at first base.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
here we go.. another thread made by this tool to piss and moan about the cubs,.
seriously dude its summer time, if you hate so much of what this team is about and doing go find something else to do with yourself.

Once again in clear and simple English that perhaps maybe even someone clearly as challenged as you are can understand since you completely missed it the first time.

This

has

nothing

to

do

with

the

Cubs

your such an assclown.. nothing to do with the cubs but you chose the guy youve been hating on all year to state your complaint about WAR.. like there wasnt any other player(s) you could of chosen over him..

Until the Troll Patrol showed up and shit all over it.

LMAO.. pot calling the kettle black wow

Because at the position of 1B, generally regarded as the least important defensive position on the field, defense is not equal to offense.

In fact probably the ONLY position that should have defense weighted equally to offense in baseball is Catcher.

holy shit.. 1B defense is not that important ? this right here shows how much of a tool you are. you should ban yourself for that statement

boy, cant wait for tomorrow to see what kind of thread he comes up with to try and back door his piss and moan towards the cubs..

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Craig WAR: 1.8, oWAR 2.3, dWAR -1.2
Rizzo WAR: 1.8, oWAR 0.9, dWAR 0.3

per BR. Shows a big difference in the offensive stats you are using.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I find this interesting because outside of the pitcher and catcher the 1B gets the most touches in a ball game.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
WAR has many, many flaws. Each site that created their own WAR have flaws. Its a stat to be used, but its not be all end all stat that a lot of people do try to make it out to be. That damn "Moneyball" movie!

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I find this interesting because outside of the pitcher and catcher the 1B gets the most touches in a ball game.

And how many of these touches are chest high throws centered to their body??

So you say the 1B has more touches a game than say the SS or CF.

So why not put the lesser defensive player at these positions and your better defensive players at 1B then?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
So after plainly and clearly stating multiple times and trying to keep the players used anonymous, we get this brilliant reply.

here we go.. another thread made by this tool to piss and moan about the cubs,.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Posts total WAR numbers...posted only offensive stats.......

#kbfail

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
WAR has many, many flaws. Each site that created their own WAR have flaws. Its a stat to be used, but its not be all end all stat that a lot of people do try to make it out to be. That damn "Moneyball" movie!

Moneyball has nothing to do with WAR

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
And how many of these touches are chest high throws centered to their body??

So you say the 1B has more touches a game than say the SS or CF.

So why not put the lesser defensive player at these positions and your better defensive players at 1B then?
1B doesn't need the range as much as they need length and a good glove to save some errant throws. It is a place to hide a slow big hitter often. Again...good glove work saves errors.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
It is a place to hide a slow big hitter often.

Which is why I stated that it is probably the least important defensive position on the diamond.

Again...good glove work saves errors.

Won't dispute that, but good glove work saves errors at every position, not just 1B.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Player A has 25 HR's
Player B has 17 HR's

They aren't even close in value, B is so much better. HR stat sucks, it's broken.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Player A has 25 HR's
Player B has 17 HR's

They aren't even close in value, B is so much better. HR stat sucks, it's broken.

Because the HR stat was created and designed to give an overall value of a players contribution to the team??

No???

Your contribution was even more useless than the WAR stat.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Because the HR stat was created and designed to give an overall value of a players contribution to the team??

No???

Your contribution was even more useless than the WAR stat.

Basically what I'm saying is that looking at one stat before the season is completed is dumb.

WAR fluctuates wildly because it takes into account defensive metrics which are very unstable midseason, and are really best used in 3 year samples. The issues with WAR are the same issues with every single statistic out there in that taken on it's own it does not do a good job of separating value in the middle.

I don't like WAR personally, but I also understand its use in the baseball community and I've actually read how its calculated and what goes into the formula. It's not a perfect number and it works much better in the extremes but it still has value as a metric.

Read more.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Basically what I'm saying is that looking at one stat before the season is completed is dumb.

WAR fluctuates wildly because it takes into account defensive metrics which are very unstable midseason, and are really best used in 3 year samples. The issues with WAR are the same issues with every single statistic out there in that taken on it's own it does not do a good job of separating value in the middle.

I don't like WAR personally, but I also understand its use in the baseball community and I've actually read how its calculated and what goes into the formula. It's not a perfect number and it works much better in the extremes but it still has value as a metric.

Read more.
This.

Plus, WAR is a cumulative metric. A half a win right now may end up being a much wider gap at the end of the season depending on what the replacement level value ends up figured at.