Why WAR sucks

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Which is exactly what I said.

Yet you felt the need to argue against what is apparently the same opinion that you have.

Except you don't even understand the metric. It's one thing to understand something and disagree with it philosophically. It's another thing to dislike something and show that you don't even understand it.

Reasonable disagreement =/= blatant ignorance.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Except that I do understand the metric.

I just think that it is completely broken.

Troll on.

Based on a partial season comparison of Allen Craig and Anthony Rizzo's overall WAR where you left out the defensive side of it, and defensive metrics should be taken in 3-5 year samples anyways......

If you think the metric is completely broken based in part on what you have in the OP....

Like I said:

You don't even understand the metric.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Based on a partial season comparison of Allen Craig and Anthony Rizzo's overall WAR where you left out the defensive side of it,

I didn't include stolen base or runs scored statistics either.

Guess I left those out as well???

and defensive metrics should be taken in 3-5 year samples anyways......

Which they aren't as a part of the WAR statistic.

Troll on.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't include stolen base or runs scored statistics either.

Guess I left those out as well???

Troll on.
Firstly, WAR isn't a "statistic". It's a metric. There's a difference.

Secondly, defensive metrics/calculations are incorporated into overall WAR. bWAR uses DRS and fWAR uses some form of UZR IIRC. Not sure what Baseball Prospectus uses.

Thirdly, yes, you left more out, which makes you even more ignorant. Nice job building the case against yourself. Seems as though you missed the point of you being aghast at Rizzo and Craig having similar or identical WAR values based on offensive numbers(since that's what you posted) while seemingly ignoring or being ignorant of the defensive side of it.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Except that I do understand the metric.

I just think that it is completely broken.

Troll on.

Then why on Earth did you quote offensive statistics and completely ignore defense when defense is 50% OF THE EQUATION? That certainly looks like a complete and total oversight on your part, due to the fact that you don't understand how WAR is calculated. It's like building a house and leaving the roof off.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Firstly, WAR isn't a "statistic". It's a metric. There's a difference.

Semantics.

Troll on.

Secondly, defensive metrics/calculations are incorporated into overall WAR. bWAR uses DRS and fWAR uses some form of UZR IIRC. Not sure what Baseball Prospectus uses.

You are not sure and havent listed every factor that Baseball Prospectus uses in their calculations.

Well by your own theory then, you clearly don't understand it.

Troll on.

Thirdly, yes, you left more out, which makes you even more ignorant. Nice job building the case against yourself. Seems as though you missed the point of you being aghast at Rizzo and Craig having similar or identical WAR values based on offensive numbers(since that's what you posted) while seemingly ignoring or being ignorant of the defensive side of it.

Or maybe I just wanted to point out the main statistics instead of taking the time to list every single statistical category.

I also left out BA with a runner on third base, with an 0-2 count in the bottom of the third inning of Months beginning with the letter M on Sundays with a full moon during even numbered years facing pitchers whose uniform number is a prime number and parents are divorced.

Troll on.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Semantics.

Troll on.

You clearly don't understand what a metric is compared to a statistic. A statistic is a tangible number that's generally a summation of a specific entity -- AKA, I made 20 hits out of 100 at-bats, meaning I got a hit 20% of the time ------ a .200 batting average. A metric can be looked at as a fulcrum. In the instance of WAR, 0 is used as the base fulcrum, meaning you can have numbers that sway from one side or the other. Can you have a negative batting average? What about a negative fielding percentage? Again, your lack of reading comprehension is astounding. Although, this certainly explains why you refuse to read anything and actually educate yourself.

You are not sure and havent listed every factor that Baseball Prospectus uses in their calculations.

Well by your own theory then, you clearly don't understand it.

Troll on.

So because you're so ignorant of the basis on how WAR is calculated, you feel the need that FT needs to regurgitate the entire WAR formula? Why not just go read about how each source calculates WAR so you don't continue to look like a complete simpleton.

Or maybe I just wanted to point out the main statistics instead of taking the time to list every single statistical category.

I also left out BA with a runner on third base, with an 0-2 count in the bottom of the third inning of Months beginning with the letter M on Sundays with a full moon during even numbered years facing pitchers whose uniform number is a prime number and parents are divorced.

Troll on.

Again -- you didn't list a single defensive statistic, which is 50% of how WAR is calculated. But that's because you're an idiot and didn't know this until we called you out on it and you had to do your best bloodhound impersonation and try to figure it out. Like a blind pig sniffing for truffles.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I just found a picture of KB talking with the guys at Baseball Prospectus about the intricacies of calculating the WAR metric.

tumblr_mgn9ljtMiI1rna10mo1_500.jpg

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Semantics.
It's not semantics. It's accuracy.

Because I don't use fWAR a lot and I've never used Baseball Prospectus WAR.

Then again, I don't cite those two and claim that they suck or are broken. I choose to not be ignorant.

Even still, LOL at you actually making the claim defensive metrics aren't part of overall WAR.

Or maybe you just #kbfailed big time and got called out on it.

Based on your previous post you didn't even know defensive metrics were part of overall WAR, so why would you even consider listing them at all? They wouldn't even have been on your list to exclude because you didn't even know they were included to begin with.

You have failed again!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Except you don't even understand the metric. It's one thing to understand something and disagree with it philosophically. It's another thing to dislike something and show that you don't even understand it.

Reasonable disagreement =/= blatant ignorance.

Or he just took another opportunity to try and take another shot at Rizzo using a topic (WAR) that he saw being discussed on another thread.

AssClown

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or he just took another opportunity to try and take another shot at Rizzo using a topic (WAR) that he saw being discussed on another thread.

AssClown

He has Hamiltonian like accuracy.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
you feel the need that FT needs to regurgitate the entire WAR formula?

And yet because I didn't list every single statistic that is incorporated into the WAR formula, The Troll Patrol ASSUMES I don't understand it.

But when the same principle is applied in return it makes me a simpleton and you guys sophisticated???

Troll on.
Again -- you didn't list a single defensive statistic, which is 50% of how WAR is calculated.

I didn't list any baserunning statistics either.

So I guess I must think that baserunning isn't a part of WAR either??

Glad to see we having so many mind readers here instead of a bunch of pathetic trolls.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And yet because I didn't list every single statistic that is incorporated into the WAR formula, The Troll Patrol ASSUMES I don't understand it.

You in reference to defensive metrics

No. It's clear you don't understand it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

AssClown

Only I have repeatedly stated simply and clearly that this had nothing to do with Rizzo or the Cubs.

Yet you still make this claim that is 100% contradictory to what I have actually said and then insult me for something I haven't even done.

Very mature.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only I have repeatedly stated simply and clearly that this had nothing to do with Rizzo or the Cubs.

Yet you still make this claim that is 100% contradictory to what I have actually said and then insult me for something I haven't even done.

Very mature.
:andruw:

Troll on.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Well, considering that WAR utilizes offense and defense, and considering that Rizzo is a far superior defender to Craig..... wouldn't you assume, the guy who apparently has a full understanding of how WAR is calculated, that is why the metric sees them of equal importance? Or should I just ASSUME that you don't actually watch baseball and knew that to begin with?

I didn't list any baserunning statistics either.

So I guess I must think that baserunning isn't a part of WAR either??

Yeah, that's a safe assumption.