Will Geovany Soto get an extension?

Will Geo get an extension this offseason

• Total voters

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's been the best offensive catcher in baseball, w/ a .395 wOBA, 16.4% BB rate is only bested by Jim Thome and Jack Cust, and he has a .320 BABIP. Geo's wOBA is 15 points higher than Brian McCann's, 13 points better than the injury shortened season of Carlos Santana, and 20 points higher than 2009 Al MVP Joe Mauer. He's amassed these numbers hitting in the bottom of the order and losing ABs to the terrible Koyie Hill. Lou and Quade are naive enough to bat him 8th when he should be hitting 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

Will the Cubs give him an extension this offseason or will they try to cut costs and wait until 2011?

Bears are #1

Liked Posts:
I think they are going to wrap Soto up for a long time this kid is really good. This would be a mistake to let Soto go he is still in his mid 20s and has many good years left in him.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
no poll :dunno:

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to buy out his arb years, but I have no idea what a fair contract would be for him.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im say they will wait, but I would love them to buy out his years.

Maybe a 4 year contract worth 35M is a good deal...but I have no clue.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ha, I was just kidding. But I think it will allow me to sleep better.

I got caught at school for that in my summer class and did not know I did it. I was watching Cubs and looking at research on the topic and I guess, I remembered what I read. But, had no clue until it was brought to my attention.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like Soto -- but the dude has A-Ram syndrome -- never healthy for a full season...

That being said, I hope they buy out his arb years.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I want a 5 year contract for starters, maybe 12 million a year and then escalating to 18 Million with incentives?

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
^^^^ you cant be serious.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As anyone knows from PSD I am not the biggest fan of Soto. I think Soto's season is driven by the fact that he is hitting 8th most of the season and in doing so isn't exactly seeing a lot of strikes hence increasing his walk rates from 13% to nearly 17%. Soto for sure has great discipline, but even look at players like Theriot. Who when put in the 8th spot walk a shit load more than in the top spot. As you move Soto up in the order he doesn't hit the ball nearly as well. His OBP in the 5 spot for his career is .319, and his OPS is 778. A far cry from the 849 he gets in the 8 hole. His stat's in the 6 hole also aren't as nice giving him only a 786 OPS.

Then there is the leverage stats. Soto his fantastic when the game doesn't matter.

In low leverage situations (according to B-R.com) Soto has hit for a whopping .283/.381/.533/.914 line for his career. That's crazy good, but of course a HR when you are down by 10 isn't all the meaningful. Basically low leverage is games where there is no pressure.

In high leverage situations Soto hits a little bit differently. For his career he sits at .233/.333/.360/.693, which is a far cry from what he does in low leverage situations. So basically he hits like Albert Pujols when the game isn't on the line, and like Ryan Theriot when it is on the line.

WPA is a nice stat that shows how much a player adds towards win probability, and he currently sits at .44 on the season. So he has helped win just under one game above average. There is a stat called clutch and he is currently last in the majors in clutch. So basically he has been the least clutch player in baseball this year (second most is Derrek Lee, and you wonder why we can't win?) Soto is a very good catcher, but people act as though he is on the same level of Mauer and McCann and he just simply isn't. Soto is in the conversation for top 5 with Posey, VMart, and Santana. McCann and Mauer are on a whole different level though.

So after I got sidetracked and didn't really answer the question. Would I give Soto an extension? No. Not after his 2009 season, where he was terrible. I would rather just go through arby and give him maybe 6 this year, 9 next and 12 in 2013. Giving him a 3 year deal at 14 million per is just well Special person, as he MIGHT make 14 million the third year of arbitration if he plays like this year but I doubt it.

Unless you are talking a 6 year 40 million dollar deal I want no part of him extending him this second.