Would you ever be cool with a winless season?

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
3-13 was bad enough to endure. So, a resounding no from me.

Romo27

Liked Posts:
With Pace as GM, I wouldn't even trust him with the first pick in the draft to get a good QB. He'd find some reason to trade down, then totally f**k up that pick.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Nah, getting the top overall pick is a bit overrated: List of first overall National Football League draft picks - Wikipedia

Since '85 the only hall of famers were: Bruce Smith, Aikman, Manning, Orlando Pace.
Looking at that list for the last 20 years only and there are a lot of Pro Bowlers and very few total busts (JaMarcus Russell)

There is no way I could root for a winless season 8 games in, but perhaps in the right situation, with the right prospect on the line, in the last game of the season, I would be a "little disappointed" if they won a meaningless game.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
With Pace as GM, I wouldn't even trust him with the first pick in the draft to get a good QB. He'd find some reason to trade down, then totally f**k up that pick.
He would fuck up a pick but he usually never trades down. He only trades up.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
NO.
I root for the team to win. I want them to win.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at that list for the last 20 years only and there are a lot of Pro Bowlers and very few total busts (JaMarcus Russell)

There is no way I could root for a winless season 8 games in, but perhaps in the right situation, with the right prospect on the line, in the last game of the season, I would be a "little disappointed" if they won a meaningless game.

Of course, but there's a lot of pro-bowlers in the top 10. You don't have to tank a season to get a pro-bowler.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So 8-8 with another first round playoff loss in 2020 or 0-16 with Trevor Lawrence as our starting QB going into the 2021 season...................Hmmmmmmm, it's a real thinker.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would never want them mentioned in the same breath as the Detroit Lions. Give them at least 1 win.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
So 8-8 with another first round playoff loss in 2020 or 0-16 with Trevor Lawrence as our starting QB going into the 2021 season...................Hmmmmmmm, it's a real thinker.

I understand the sentiment. Lawrence is a great prospect, one of the better ones to come out in recent years.. but he is just that, a PROSPECT.

We all want better QB play in Chicago but the first pick does not guarantee that. When the Bears naturally rebuild they will have their chance again, or they will have to get lucky with a mid first round pick.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If it was done intentionally yes. If it was a real attempt to win, only if heads rolled. It beats trying year after year to secure mid to low round picks. I've discovered that you don't have to watch or pay attention to the games every week.
I would probably avoid CCS circle jerk of ripping each other's dicks off.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If you are someone who doesn't want Pace/Nagy around anymore, then you probably want to root for 6-11 or worse.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Tanking only works if you have your best players out due to injury. Otherwise you're stuck with a lot of developing players that lose their competitive drive. Free agents that want to win who don't take the team seriously, all while good players get overpaid because they think the loser team is lax and can cover up their flaws.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
As Long as Pace is gone and not screwing up the #1 overall.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was on here last offseason advocating to Lose for Lawrence and Tank for Trevor. Seems worthless now. Another wasted season while the McCaskeys collect more money and we watch a perpetually mediocre product.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if anyone has tracked this historically, but it wouldn't surprise me if teams who lose out a whole season or only get 1 or 2 wins actually have a high success rate with landing the right prospect in the next draft. When you have that kind of losing season, there are so many elements fighting against you being successful with landing the right top draft pick. It's likely if you lose out that you are looking at GM changes, coaching changes, etc. and the odds of hitting on all of those elements and getting enough cohesion to make the right pick at #1 in a few months after starting the job is a really tough thing to do. Additionally, you have a losing mentality and culture that you have to some how overhaul and change and then likely major scheme changes on both sides of the ball. The odds of having a team where a "guaranteed draft pick", particularly a QB, can walk in and simply be the missing piece for a winless team is probably not stacked in your favor.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I would never root for the Bears to lose. That basically defeats the purpose of fandom, why should I emotionally invest myself in something so I can see a negative result?

msadows

Liked Posts:
I would never root for the Bears to lose. That basically defeats the purpose of fandom, why should I emotionally invest myself in something so I can see a negative result?

Exactly. Now, if the bears are 0-9 going into week 10/11, then sure, I won't mind them losing out to ensure us the #1 pick. Still, I can never watch a game and hope my favorite team to lose.

Still, this is the time of the year for every fanbase to be optimistic. This is the nfl, not the NBA. Any team can have a massive turnaround on any given season.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Exactly. Now, if the bears are 0-9 going into week 10/11, then sure, I won't mind them losing out to ensure us the #1 pick. Still, I can never watch a game and hope my favorite team to lose.
Even then I am happier when they win. I'd be happier sacrificing draft position to play spoiler for some team's (especially a division rival) playoff hopes than having a high selection in the draft.