XBOX One Discussion Thread

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
What I don't like, is now MS is tossing it to Sony to simply dominate. And with less pressure from XboxOne, Sony is going to take it easier on aggressive releases and competitive prices.

If Sony were smart, they would take FULL advantage of this, not even let Microsoft get any breathing room. Undercut them on pricing, beat them to every punch, and just kill XboxOne. But I doubt they will. Sony isn't as perfect as Nintendo, as far as quality/price points go. And they aren't as good as Samsung when it comes to releasing big volumes onto the market.

It's going to go the other way.

Neither will step back from the ledge unless both do.

MS is giving the publishers a way to get way, way more money. Why publish on PS4 when you can get more cash on Xbox? Only way they'd go PS4 in that scenario is if the Xbox sells very few units.

Either way, MS is giving the middle finger to consumers. Everyone should go build a PC and get Sony and MS's dicks out of their asses.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's going to go the other way.

Neither will step back from the ledge unless both do.

MS is giving the publishers a way to get way, way more money. Why publish on PS4 when you can get more cash on Xbox? Only way they'd go PS4 in that scenario is if the Xbox sells very few units.

Either way, MS is giving the middle finger to consumers. Everyone should go build a PC and get Sony and MS's dicks out of their asses.

Oh no, I agree. Microsoft is putting up a lot of bounty for titles, but we know that doesn't always work out. 3DO did the same thing, as well as having an inside course for EA titles. But the 3DO was lackluster in the landscape that it was competing in, just like XBone looks to be this go. Maybe a similar fate will occur? I don't know. It's not a perfect comparison, just one that I can remember well off the top of my head.

It's likely that someone will be able to kick all of these consoles ass, as far as performance, on a similar build budget as buying the consoles as early as 8 months from now. And because TVs have VGA, DVI and HDMI, and these are native graphics outputs, that people will begin to run their home computers the same way as they run these consoles (as a full-blown trend that competes directly with console sales.) Hell, we might even see something like a Steambox, made by a PC builder specifically targeted towards people who want to run Media-Gameboxes, or whatever.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Oh no, I agree. Microsoft is putting up a lot of bounty for titles, but we know that doesn't always work out. 3DO did the same thing, as well as having an inside course for EA titles. But the 3DO was lackluster in the landscape that it was competing in, just like XBone looks to be this go. Maybe a similar fate will occur? I don't know. It's not a perfect comparison, just one that I can remember well off the top of my head.

It's likely that someone will be able to kick all of these consoles ass, as far as performance, on a similar build budget as buying the consoles as early as 8 months from now. And because TVs have VGA, DVI and HDMI, and these are native graphics outputs, that people will begin to run their home computers the same way as they run these consoles (as a full-blown trend that competes directly with console sales.) Hell, we might even see something like a Steambox, made by a PC builder specifically targeted towards people who want to run Media-Gameboxes, or whatever.

I understand what you're saying, I really hope the new Xbox is a flop at this point; but MS is giving the big publishers exactly what they want. I suspect they (the big publishers) will lean on Sony to do the same, and, since Sony has a history of dicking customers (go look at how expensive Vita memory cards are), I'm not holding out hope. While it seems completely logical that Sony would try to win points from consumers by not going mega douche mode, I think they'll capitulate, if not now then soon.

Having an always on mic and camera (though is the camera always on, or just the mic?) is creepy as fuck, especially if you buy one for your kids.

I really, really hope Valve pushes forward with some sort of Steam box. While you and I wouldn't need one, it could get a lot more people onto a more consumer friendly, and better platform. Though, I must say Valve has been walking a fine line lately, they have some pretty restrictive policies on some aspects of Steam, I'm not a fan of Greenlight, and generally hate free to play stuff. However, they nail content delivery and extra services, plus with regular and insane sales on software the positives outweigh the negatives.

Lets hope Valve doesn't turn into Activision or EA.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Price tag of $499.99. Heard a few groans from the audience.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
BTW, Microsoft cancelled their post-show media Q&A well before E3 even started. More evasiveness from them.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
What's up with this 2 games for free every month for gold subscribers? I'm guessing it's for arcade games or old 360 games?

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what it sounds, it's only available up until the XBone is released. And it sounds like they're offering old games like Assassins Creed II and Halo 3, stuff like that.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
I haven't kept up with E3, insanely busy at work, did they kill off stupid "Gold" subscriptions?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
From what it sounds, it's only available up until the XBone is released. And it sounds like they're offering old games like Assassins Creed II and Halo 3, stuff like that.

That's about the only nice thing on the console...can you still play offline if you lose your internet connection? It was my understanding at first that the console was completely worthless if your internet connection is out but I heard from someone the other day that you can still play single player offline if it is does

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't kept up with E3, insanely busy at work, did they kill off stupid "Gold" subscriptions?

Gold still exists I assume, they didn't really talk about it actually. The only thing they really talked about was the Gold perks for 360 owners until the XBone came out. They did say that they're scrapping the MS Points system and going to actual currency.

That's about the only nice thing on the console...can you still play offline if you lose your internet connection? It was my understanding at first that the console was completely worthless if your internet connection is out but I heard from someone the other day that you can still play single player offline if it is does

This from an interview after Microsoft's initial press conference a few weeks ago with VP Phil Harrison

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

And Kotaku writes: "So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, according to Harrison. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection."

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gold still exists I assume, they didn't really talk about it actually. The only thing they really talked about was the Gold perks for 360 owners until the XBone came out. They did say that they're scrapping the MS Points system and going to actual currency.

This from an interview after Microsoft's initial press conference a few weeks ago with VP Phil Harrison

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

And Kotaku writes: "So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, according to Harrison. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection."

Argh.... sounds like they are back peddaling a little bit from Always-On but not stepping away from the concept and fully allowing offline gaming....

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watch before it gets taken down by Viacom again. Don Mattrick's response to the people who claim they have no internet and won't be able to use an XBone.

[video=youtube;5yC8FbgGnd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0[/video]

Here's the dialogue if it's taken down again.

Mattrick- Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity and it's called Xbox 360.
Keighley- Right. So "stick with 360", that's your message if you don't like it?
Mattrick- Well, if...if you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Watch before it gets taken down by Viacom again. Don Mattrick's response to the people who claim they have no internet and won't be able to use an XBone.

[video=youtube;5yC8FbgGnd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC8FbgGnd0[/video]

Here's the dialogue if it's taken down again.

Mattrick- Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity and it's called Xbox 360.
Keighley- Right. So "stick with 360", that's your message if you don't like it?
Mattrick- Well, if...if you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device.

I downloaded that video. I'll repost once it is taken down. I'll put it on vimeo.

sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus on PPC

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I understand what you're saying, I really hope the new Xbox is a flop at this point; but MS is giving the big publishers exactly what they want. I suspect they (the big publishers) will lean on Sony to do the same, and, since Sony has a history of dicking customers (go look at how expensive Vita memory cards are), I'm not holding out hope. While it seems completely logical that Sony would try to win points from consumers by not going mega douche mode, I think they'll capitulate, if not now then soon.

Having an always on mic and camera (though is the camera always on, or just the mic?) is creepy as fuck, especially if you buy one for your kids.

I really, really hope Valve pushes forward with some sort of Steam box. While you and I wouldn't need one, it could get a lot more people onto a more consumer friendly, and better platform. Though, I must say Valve has been walking a fine line lately, they have some pretty restrictive policies on some aspects of Steam, I'm not a fan of Greenlight, and generally hate free to play stuff. However, they nail content delivery and extra services, plus with regular and insane sales on software the positives outweigh the negatives.

Lets hope Valve doesn't turn into Activision or EA.

Sony just informed everyone they will have no restrictions on used games.

http://kotaku.com/ps4-games-wont-have-many-of-the-restrictions-of-xbox-o-512477859

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Well guys I got the last pre order in my whole area on the Xbox :troll: I couldn't switch. I hope it's better than what it's being made out to be so far.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Which is good. Sony is sticking with the status quo, which means the Publishers could still do shitty stuff like on line pass.

Still way better than MS is doing. I know an MS employee and he's hating life right now.

I don't mind the online pass. I usually buy madden two years late lol. Madden 12 is $10 at gamestop.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/microsoft-to-drop-its-drm-control-with-xbox-one-report/

microsoft to drop its drm control

According to the GB report, the following will occurr:

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

Last edited: