Yoenis Cespedes Granted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I've played club baseball at SIU and work with the team. I'm trying to figure out the problem that you are seeing with the swing. Like many of you I've watched/been around baseball all my life.

But his swing has limited holes in it. It's just odd looking. His hands are fast, he squashes the bug, he's compact and powerful all the way through the followthrough, it's just has he comes around he seems to have a bit more of a "flare" to it. I'm not seeing this entirely holey swing as many people seem to be worried about.

He's just got a different swing like many players do. As there is no such thing as a "perfect" swing. They know what the ideal swing looks like. But not every guy can/does do it, as everyone has different preferences of how they swing and and what is comfortable.

when I say holes it is because he struck out a lot. To me this would be like signing Bryan Lahair to a 50m dollar deal for what he has done in the minors.

Cuban league is = to A ball so I dont get why everyone is willing to pay so much for a guy who is unproven.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I've played club baseball at SIU and work with the team. I'm trying to figure out the problem that you are seeing with the swing. Like many of you I've watched/been around baseball all my life.

But his swing has limited holes in it. It's just odd looking. His hands are fast, he squashes the bug, he's compact and powerful all the way through the followthrough, it's just has he comes around he seems to have a bit more of a "flare" to it. I'm not seeing this entirely holey swing as many people seem to be worried about.

He's just got a different swing like many players do. As there is no such thing as a "perfect" swing. They know what the ideal swing looks like. But not every guy can/does do it, as everyone has different preferences of how they swing and and what is comfortable.

no one said its god awful. it just isnt this amazing swing that CO keeps :fap: about.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
when I say holes it is because he struck out a lot. To me this would be like signing Bryan Lahair to a 50m dollar deal for what he has done in the minors.

Cuban league is = to A ball so I dont get why everyone is willing to pay so much for a guy who is unproven.

:clap:

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cuban league is better than A ball. The whole reason why you don't see much if any of their players is because of legal problems getting out of the Country.

Is Cespedes worth 30-50 mill? Prolly not even close.. but no matter who does will have to pony up some to get him. Just what it is.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
^No CNM, scouts have labeled it as A-ball quality. It isn't what it used to be. It's probbaly Advanced-A (California League, Carolina League, Florida State League) as opposed to regular A (Midwest League, South Atlantic League) or Short-A (New York-Penn League, Northwest League) quality though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

It's not that we're concerned with it, it is just that CO's overemphasizing its quality and judging him on it as if it is a guarantee of success.

And him striking out a lot in the freaking Cuban National Series (the name of Cuba's league, not a playoff series) suggests that it isn't anything to :fap: about. as CO obviously thinks.

Last edited:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
the recent games he struck out 10/35 abs, batted .143, with 1 homerun. Now they say where he was playing was equal to AAA.

35 ABs is not enough to make a fair assignment ethier way I have seen great hitters go hit less in 35abs

and I have seen bad hitters rake in 35 ABs

I mean he raked in the WBC in only 9 games that doesnt mean he is a good player.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
35 ABs is not enough to make a fair assignment ethier way I have seen great hitters go hit less in 35abs

and I have seen bad hitters rake in 35 ABs

I mean he raked in the WBC in only 9 games that doesnt mean he is a good player.

oh i understand sample size allright. but 10 ks is a bit much

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

If the Cubs' brain thinks he is worth the money then I am okay with this. Your analogy is a bit disingenuous as well since Cespedes is younger, a better athlete, and wasn't allowed to play against better competition til now. There is certainly risk with signing this guy, but there is also the potential for a lot of reward as well.

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You don't know how to make a thought, do you?

Just because a player doesn't make a lot of contact, doesn't mean that it is a hole in the swing.

We're willing to pay so much because of what he could be. He could be a superstar, unlikely, but he could be a 4 win player and that's going to be a great deal. If his Zips projections are anything close to accurate, then he'll certainly be at least worth his contract.

Cuban league is better than A ball. The whole reason why you don't see much if any of their players is because of legal problems getting out of the Country.

Is Cespedes worth 30-50 mill? Prolly not even close.. but no matter who does will have to pony up some to get him. Just what it is.

30 million means he has to be worth 1 win a year for 6 years(I'm assuming he's going to get a 6 year deal) since the market value for a win is about 5MM. He doesn't even have to be good to accomplish that. To be worth 50, he's has to be worth 10 wins over 6 years, again not that hard to do. I think he'll certainly be worth his contract. We just need to hope that he can put things together and become a 3-4 win CFer for at least a few years.

It's not that we're concerned with it, it is just that CO's overemphasizing its quality and judging him on it as if it is a guarantee of success.

And him striking out a lot in the freaking Cuban National Series (the name of Cuba's league, not a playoff series) suggests that it isn't anything to :fap: about. as CO obviously thinks.

Guarantee of success lol. You're fucking Special person.

without a swing, he's not going to be able to hit. That's the key. We don't know how he will do vs. MLB pitching, although he's likely MLB or close to MLB ready. But if he had a shitty swing, which he doesn't, he wouldn't have as much chance for success.

Ku-Fucking-Dos
the recent games he struck out 10/35 abs, batted .143, with 1 homerun. Now they say where he was playing was equal to AAA.

Way to completely ignore sample size and the fact that he hasn't played baseball in over 9 months. Great job.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You don't know how to make a thought, do you?

Just because a player doesn't make a lot of contact, doesn't mean that it is a hole in the swing.

We're willing to pay so much because of what he could be. He could be a superstar, unlikely, but he could be a 4 win player and that's going to be a great deal. If his Zips projections are anything close to accurate, then he'll certainly be at least worth his contract.

30 million means he has to be worth 1 win a year for 6 years(I'm assuming he's going to get a 6 year deal) since the market value for a win is about 5MM. He doesn't even have to be good to accomplish that. To be worth 50, he's has to be worth 10 wins over 6 years, again not that hard to do. I think he'll certainly be worth his contract. We just need to hope that he can put things together and become a 3-4 win CFer for at least a few years.

Guarantee of success lol. You're fucking Special person.

Ku-Fucking-Dos

Way to completely ignore sample size and the fact that he hasn't played baseball in over 9 months. Great job.

1. Yes, I actually can make a thought. You're the fucking Special person one.
2. He didn't ignore the sample size Special person.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm with Dabynsky and CO. I hope Cespedes will become a solid player with the Cubs. (If he signs).

Why is he getting all this hype though? Just because he's from Cuba?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Cespedes has a chance to be really good for a relatively low salary (even though the $50MM demand looks big) but this:

made me go "WTF" because the very definition of a "hole in the swing" means that you don't make contact :lol:

I don't think you can base his future output on just his workout videos and his few Dominican League games, but that's the scouts' jobs, not ours. If there's so much hype over this guy, there's a reason. There's a lot of good reason to splurge and spend $35MM or so on him over 6 years to reap the high reward without too much cost. I still think $50MM or more is well past pushing it though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm with Dabynsky and CO. I hope Cespedes will become a solid player with the Cubs. (If he signs).

Why is he getting all this hype though? Just because he's from Cuba?

My guess for the hype is for his raw athletic ability and the ability for any team in major league baseball to add that raw athletic ability to their team. Opportunities like this don't come along very often. That said my interest is based on the Cubs apparent interest. Theo and company have spent a lot of time on this guy, and if there wasn't something there they wouldn't be wasting their time on this. Does that mean he is guaranteed success? Of course not, but there are never chances to add talent without risk in baseball.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think Cespedes has a chance to be really good for a relatively low salary (even though the $50MM demand looks big) but this:

made me go "WTF" because the very definition of a "hole in the swing" means that you don't make contact :lol:

I don't think you can base his future output on just his workout videos and his few Dominican League games, but that's the scouts' jobs, not ours. If there's so much hype over this guy, there's a reason. There's a lot of good reason to splurge and spend $35MM or so on him over 6 years to reap the high reward without too much cost. I still think $50MM or more is well past pushing it though.

Exactly!

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I should have elaborated. We really don't know what kind of contact he'll make. But, he has that power swing, reminds me of Gary Sheffield minus the annoying bat wiggle. He likely won't be the Juan Pierre of contact. However, I still do not see nor has anyone pointed out a hole in his swing.

I can agree that with 50MM+, I become wary. We've heard 32-60 million this off season. I think it's likely to be about 48 or so... which I am totally behind. He can definitely be worth 10 wins over 6 years. The thing that people need to understand is that we need to make sure we pay for his WAR, but that we aren't necessarily paying for that, we're paying for what he *could* be. That's something that I don't think most understand(not saying this is you, Rice.).

1. Yes, I actually can make a thought. You're the fucking Special person one.
2. He didn't ignore the sample size Special person.

If you can make a thought then why don't you?

Okay, even if he didn't ignore sample size, that doesn't address the bigger matter of him not playing baseball in 9 months. Care to take this one? I didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.