Yoenis Cespedes Granted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLBTR blurb updated, seems to think Marlins will sign Cespedes.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
*Is that sentence suppose to read even if you're not a SABR guy?

I meant it as it read. I think most people (including myself) were surprised when that contract was given out, and while Zito had okay WAR totals he wasn't exactly overpowering. I'm sure the A's were more than happy to take those draft picks.

Sorry, just saw this :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I meant it as it read. I think most people (including myself) were surprised when that contract was given out, and while Zito had okay WAR totals he wasn't exactly overpowering. I'm sure the A's were more than happy to take those draft picks.

Sorry, just saw this :lol:

Really because my recollection was that a lot of the statistical inclined were pointing to a decline before the contract was given out due to the declining peripherals (particularly the declining k/9 rate).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really because my recollection was that a lot of the statistical inclined were pointing to a decline before the contract was given out due to the declining peripherals (particularly the declining k/9 rate).

You're probably right. I think most of the SABR folks realized that. I'm just saying that this is definitely a case where you have to look past the WAR and see what lies beneath.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When even Brian Sabean thinks that Cespedes is being overvalued... :lol:

Theo > Sabean. If Theo thinks he's worth it, then I'll trust his judgement. Theo obviously must think pretty highly of him or we wouldn't be so heavily connected to him.

FirstTimer said:
LOL at "not that far off".

You fail again clown prince.

ALso LOL at you backtracking now from the last page where you were advocating him "learning in the majors" rather than in the minors.

I still think he should learn in the Majors. Not back tracking at all. I also think that part of signing him is going to be how soon he will play in the MLB. I read on I believe it was Goldstein's twitter that a starting spot is more important to him than playing CF.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo > Sabean. If Theo thinks he's worth it, then I'll trust his judgement. Theo obviously must think pretty highly of him or we wouldn't be so heavily connected to him.

I still think he should learn in the Majors. Not back tracking at all. I also think that part of signing him is going to be how soon he will play in the MLB. I read on I believe it was Goldstein's twitter that a starting spot is more important to him than playing CF.

why? because he hit on a few draft picks and spent an assload of money to win championships plus inheriting a 90 win team in boston. Please explain your logic.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
why? because he hit on a few draft picks and spent an assload of money to win championships plus inheriting a 90 win team in boston. Please explain your logic.

He missed the playoffs once in his tenure in Boston. In the hardest division in baseball. I don't think Sabean is a "poor man's Hendry" by any means. I think he's one of the better GMs in baseball, but I also don't think he is a Theo Epstein. Epstein has had sustained success in building the farm. While Sabean did get Lincecum and Cain, he hasn't had anywhere near the success Theo has had.

Plus Theo has two rings and isn't that all that matters?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He missed the playoffs once in his tenure in Boston. In the hardest division in baseball. I don't think Sabean is a "poor man's Hendry" by any means. I think he's one of the better GMs in baseball, but I also don't think he is a Theo Epstein. Epstein has had sustained success in building the farm. While Sabean did get Lincecum and Cain, he hasn't had anywhere near the success Theo has had.

Missed the playoffs three times, that is. He did set up a pretty incredible pipeline of talent though. There's almost no doubt that the Red Sox post-Theo are better than they were pre-Theo even despite last year's epic fail.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think he should learn in the Majors.
LOL at this.

Nice work. MLB Execs think Yeonis could spend up to 1/3 of the season in the minors...meanwhile CO thinks he should "learn in the majors".

Wonderful.

Not back tracking at all.
Yes you are Charles Tillman.

You don't know jack about the Cubs. Please quit discussing the Red Sox.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey FT, you're a BoSox fan right? What do you think of Ben Cherington?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey FT, you're a BoSox fan right? What do you think of Ben Cherington?

Really sharp guy IMO. Was instrumental in the development of the minors the Red Sox have seen over the last decade or so.

Very good eye for player development in the minors. Strikes me as the type of guy who will be more willing to keep homegrown players than to go bigger the way Theo had the last few years with bringing in free agents. I'm fully comfortable with him as a GM.

Theo-light IMO..and that's not a put down.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really sharp guy IMO. Was instrumental in the development of the minors the Red Sox have seen over the last decade or so.

Very good eye for player development in the minors. Strikes me as the type of guy who will be more willing to keep homegrown players than to go bigger the way Theo had the last few years with bringing in free agents. I'm fully comfortable with him as a GM.

Theo-light IMO..and that's not a put down.

Think Cherington will be hamstrung a bit by ownership, or is that overblown? I kind of felt like that was why Theo left, based on what the media and bloggers seem to be saying.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Theo hadn't come over I was hoping that the Cubs could poach Cherington.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think Cherington will be hamstrung a bit by ownership, or is that overblown? I kind of felt like that was why Theo left, based on what the media and bloggers seem to be saying.

Overblown. I think the issue between Theo and ownership is that they knew Theo was on his way out at the latest after this season. Dynamic got odd as I think they were pushing Cherington more knowing Theo was leaving. Tough to say.

I think it was overblown for the most part but there were shades of the truth in there somewhere as usual.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
A team has outbidded FLA for Cepedes though. So it comes down to if he takes the money or wants to play for MIA. He wont get another big contact since he become FA when 33+. So be smarter to take the money

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
looks like a wrap up for the marlins..could be wrong though

Status
Not open for further replies.