šŸˆšŸˆšŸˆOFFIFAILšŸˆšŸˆšŸˆ 2024 SEASON ALL AROUND THE NFL IGT (WEEK SEVEN)

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
last night during the game, one of the announcers touched on this a bit

his theory was that most teams are playing 2 deep safeties now and forcing teams to dink and dunk their way down the field. Most QB's cant sustain drives that are 10+ plays or anything, and so we are seeing a drop in scoring. those longer possessions to score(when they do score) leads to fewer possessions per game and thus, less points per game too
Bend but don't break.
Ā 

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no idea. I canā€™t think of anything that has happened in the NFL that we can look at as a case study. There are some guys on this board that know the cap intricacies pretty well. Maybe one of them can weigh in here.
Andrew Luck is the closest.
Ā 

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Bend but don't break.
yep, it works against a lot of QB's

doesnt work so well against the elite QB's, though. you just end up yielding points and tiring out your defense on those long scoring drives. makes you REALLY need your offense to play ball control then
Ā 

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yep, it works against a lot of QB's

doesnt work so well against the elite QB's, though. you just end up yielding points and tiring out your defense on those long scoring drives. makes you REALLY need your offense to play ball control then
You are hoping for a turnover or two.
Ā 

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no idea. I canā€™t think of anything that has happened in the NFL that we can look at as a case study. There are some guys on this board that know the cap intricacies pretty well. Maybe one of them can weigh in here.
There should be an NFL exception that reads that a team can pay a player that is retiring due to injury concerns as much as it chooses above and beyond what they would be required to pay at no additional negative effect to the Cap.
Ā 

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Should special exceptions be implemented that allowed Miami to pay Tua his entire Salary should he choose to retire, yet not totally destroy Miami's cap for the next two years?
I probably donā€™t care a lot either way, but I donā€™t think they will or really should. Itā€™s simpler to not rock the boat and go out of your way to accommodate an exception. It takes away some of the difficulties that come along with managing cap and paying players. Itā€™s just shit luck for them, but theyā€™ll figure it out (should Tua retire and theyā€™re forced to figure it out).
Ā 

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I probably donā€™t care a lot either way, but I donā€™t think they will or really should. Itā€™s simpler to not rock the boat and go out of your way to accommodate an exception. It takes away some of the difficulties that come along with managing cap and paying players. Itā€™s just shit luck for them, but theyā€™ll figure it out (should Tua retire and theyā€™re forced to figure it out).
I disagree, a team should not be penalized for doing the right thing when it comes to the cap.

For instance, assuming Tua is medically cleared to play, yet opts to retire.

The deal includes $167M guaranteed for injury, $43M of which has been paid in 2024. If he is not medically cleared, the Dolphins are on the hook for $ 124 mil

If he's medically cleared to return to football, but opts to retire, he will forego the remaining $124M guaranteed (barring a custom settlement).
I am saying the Dolphons should be allowed to pay Tua up to the $124 million if they choose, but only be faced with the cap implications they would face if they only honored the least amount guranteed under contract in that situation.
Ā 

Canth

Liked Posts:
You're right, but man... tough to let go of a starting QB. I'd hate to have to make that decision. Honestly, Tua should've been slip and sliding for the past 2 years to make sure he never does something like what he did last night.

And to protect himself further, he should have taken advantage of wearing a guardian cap this year now that it is allowed in season.
Ā 

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What are the cap implications in either scenario?

1) He is medically ruled unfit to play ever again
2) He is cleared medically, yet chooses to retire citing health concerns.

Should special exceptions be implemented that allowed Miami to pay Tua his entire Salary should he choose to retire, yet not totally destroy Miami's cap for the next two years?

1. Dolphins would be on the hook for the guaranteed money so 167m.

2. If he retires at end of the year then the remaining 124m of guarantees are erased and they can seek to recover 33.6 million of the 43m signing bonus they paid him. Recovering the signing bonus would give them cap relief and would mean they only paid him 9.5m this year.

Dolphins can obviously try and agree any settlement in between those extremes. Would imagine they potentially let him keep the signing bonus on exchange for his not challenging any medical clearance that always the other guarantees to void if he retired.

I disagree, a team should not be penalized for doing the right thing when it comes to the cap.

The deal includes $167M guaranteed for injury, $43M of which has been paid in 2024. If he is not medically cleared, the Dolphins are on the hook for $ 124 mil

If he's medically cleared to return to football, but opts to retire, he will forego the remaining $124M guaranteed (barring a custom settlement).
I am saying the Dolphons should be allowed to pay Tua up to the $124 million if they choose, but only be faced with the cap implications they would face if they only honored the least amount guranteed under contract in that situation.

Nah. If they want cap relief then they need to be assholes like the Lions were when they went after Sanders and CJ's already paid signing bonus.
Ā 

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Dolphins would be on the hook for the guaranteed money so 167m.

2. If he retires at end of the year then the remaining 124m of guarantees are erased and they can seek to recover 33.6 million of the 43m signing bonus they paid him. Recovering the signing bonus would give them cap relief and would mean they only paid him 9.5m this year.

Dolphins can obviously try and agree any settlement in between those extremes. Would imagine they potentially let him keep the signing bonus on exchange for his not challenging any medical clearance that always the other guarantees to void if he retired.

Nah. If they want cap relief then they need to be assholes like the Lions were when they went after Sanders and CJ's already paid signing bonus.
neither of those players retired for medical reasons like Tua's, but thanks once again for being a classless asshat and trying to change the conversation.
Ā 

msadows

Liked Posts:
neither of those players retired for medical reasons like Tua's, but thanks once again for being a classless asshat and trying to change the conversation.
fish biting today?
Ā 

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Beside the point. If a player retires when medically cleared the team should only get cap relief for money not paid to the player. That is the only logically way to do it that is fair for everyone. The Doplhins knew Tua was a concussion risk and signed him to a big deal anyway. That is on them.
Ā 

Canth

Liked Posts:
Beside the point. If a player retires when medically cleared the team should only get cap relief for money not paid to the player. That is the only logically way to do it that is fair for everyone. The Doplhins knew Tua was a concussion risk and signed him to a big deal anyway. That is on them.

And you cannot count on owners to be 'fair' as a group. Individual owners may decide to play nice like Irsay did with Luck. Then you have situations where I think it was the Bucs that traded for Jake Plummer, knowing he was likely to call it quits, just so they could pursue recovering signing bonus money that they never even paid him but was allowed under the NFL contract rules.

So, I think they only 'guaranteed' way for Tua to actually keep all of his money is to at least go through the motions of continuing to want to play and force it to be a doctor's decision to say he shouldn't. Otherwise, he will likely need to come to some sort of injury settlement with the Dolphins to find a money point both are ok with and avoid grievances and legal fees and such.
Ā 

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if he makes some noise as a pass rusher. Heā€™s a great run stuffer but heā€™s not known for getting to the QB. Lions need another legitimate pass rusher, surprised they didnā€™t go for Judon
Ā 

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

This is a bit of a different thing than I thought you were getting at. I mustā€™ve misunderstood.

Based on what @playthrough2001 posted, it looks like youā€™re discussing the difference of about 35 million, unless Iā€™m misinterpreting that. Anyway, this was the quote:

They could also give him the minimum total without going after any of the signing bonus. Counting his $42 million signing bonus, Miami would pay a total of $167 million since it would be injury-related. That's $125 million in new money owed.

If it's not ruled as injury-related, Miami would owe Tagovailoa about $90 million on top of the $42 million already paid out.

So, two things:
  1. I donā€™t think most rich people would give a penny more than theyā€™re required even if it doesnā€™t hit the cap. Implement the rule for the owners to give away millions out of the kindness of their hearts, ā€œif they chooseā€, and itā€™ll never be used. They probably will already be pissed they owe him $90 million. Maybe Iā€™m a pessimist, but rich people donā€™t make it by being crazy feeling sorry and giving away money.
  2. I donā€™t care what they do on the side. If Tua retired and they felt inclined to give him money, they can freely give him money out of their pockets. Iā€™m sure there are ways once heā€™s retired. Hire him as a scout for 35 million a year for all I care if they feel bad.
Something like this would only worked if the team was forced to pay him, imo.
Ā 
Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if he makes some noise as a pass rusher. Heā€™s a great run stuffer but heā€™s not known for getting to the QB. Lions need another legitimate pass rusher, surprised they didnā€™t go for Judon

Surprised they didnt go after a lot of players in FA, they still have a lot of cap room. You'd figure theyd try to get a buncha guys on short deals to maximize potential of the current roster.
Ā 

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a bit of a different thing than I thought you were getting at. I mustā€™ve misunderstood.

Based on what @playthrough2001 posted, it looks like youā€™re discussing the difference of about 35 million, unless Iā€™m misinterpreting that. Anyway, this was the quote:

They could also give him the minimum total without going after any of the signing bonus. Counting his $42 million signing bonus, Miami would pay a total of $167 million since it would be injury-related. That's $125 million in new money owed.

If it's not ruled as injury-related, Miami would owe Tagovailoa about $90 million on top of the $42 million already paid out.

So, two things:
  1. I donā€™t think rich people would give a penny more than theyā€™re required even if it doesnā€™t hit the cap. Implement the rule for the owners to give away millions out of the kindness of their hearts, ā€œif they chooseā€, and itā€™ll never be used. They probably will already be pissed they owe him $90 million.
  2. I donā€™t care what they do on the side. If Tua retired and they felt inclined to give him money, they can freely give him money out of their pockets. Iā€™m sure there are ways once heā€™s retired. Hire him as a scout for 35 million a year for all I care if they feel bad.
Something like this would only worked if the team was forced to pay him, imo.
Based on what Canth has posted it quite a significant amount less than the 90 mil. if I am reading that correctly he would only have earned about 20 mil.
Ā