10/1: Game #163 - Milwaukee Brewers @ Chicago Cubs 12:09PM CT ESPN

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welp....got to admit I'm really not surprised nor terribly disappointed.

This Cubs team is very good, but I never considered them a likely contender for the WS this year. At the end fo the day, they played to their talent level.

They were doomed by the pathetic returns they realized from the off-season FA investments, and further hurt by injuries and down years from AR and WC.

Houston, Boston, and NYY will likely kick our asses in the WS if we're lucky enough to get there.

KB as well, I didn't like the bull pen coming into the season and thought Wade Davis should have been brought back.

The hitting is on and off, is that really fixable though?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Brewers deserved the division. No question.

No pinch hit for Heyward or Murphy against Hader, even if it just got Jeffries in the game, you gotta make a move not give up 2 k's.

I hope watching the Brewers celebrate on your field, with a big fan base making this game pulls on the short hairs of this cub team, top to bottom.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Right now? Probably not unless guys get hot. In general, I think you just need to add more guys like Zobrist/Murphy. I'm a believer in the idea that if you put in good at bats the outcomes will come. It's why I struggle sometimes with Javy because clearly the guy can hit but some days he just doesn't give you quality abs. Obviously he's not going anywhere so that's unlikely to change but you can minimize that some by surrounding him with guys who do.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No pinch hit for Heyward or Murphy against Hader, even if it just got Jeffries in the game, you gotta make a move not give up 2 k's.

Who are you pinch hitting with? Almora was already used along with La Stella and Happ. Gore isn't the guy. Mike Freeman isn't the guy. Taylor Davis isn't the guy. Bobby Wilson isn't the guy. So that leaves you what Bote? Not sure he's the guy I'd want there either.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who are you pinch hitting with? Almora was already used along with La Stella and Happ. Gore isn't the guy. Mike Freeman isn't the guy. Taylor Davis isn't the guy. Bobby Wilson isn't the guy. So that leaves you what Bote? Not sure he's the guy I'd want there either.

Beck, that would require an intelligent thought....something he is probably not capable of. He much rather just blame Maddon for everything....tunnel vision.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Almora pinch hit AFTER Heyward, and whats wrong with Bote?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
KB as well, I didn't like the bull pen coming into the season and thought Wade Davis should have been brought back.

I didn't miss Davis much, I thought Morrow was just as good before he got hurt. The ability to score runs makes everything better for the pitchers....starters, pen, closer. Conversely when you don't score, everything becomes much harder....every crack becomes a pothole. They lost a huge stick with the terrible season KB had...plus the boneheaded stubbornness of over and over hitting into the shift instead of making them pay for opening huge portions of the field.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Almora pinch hit AFTER Heyward, and whats wrong with Bote?

Ok but if you pinch hit Heyward with Almora then who are you hitting for the pitcher? Bote? And then who are you hitting for Murphy? Also, are you aware how poorly Bote has hit the last month? He's hitting .214/.302/.321 with a 33.3% K rate vs all pitchers. Hader isn't just any pitcher obviously.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I didn't miss Davis much, I thought Morrow was just as good before he got hurt. The ability to score runs makes everything better for the pitchers....starters, pen, closer. Conversely when you don't score, everything becomes much harder....every crack becomes a pothole. They lost a huge stick with the terrible season KB had...plus the boneheaded stubbornness of over and over hitting into the shift instead of making them pay for opening huge portions of the field.

I think the issue is Edwards. Clearly he has the stuff. When he's on he's untouchable. Problem is he's often not and he isn't really reliable. Well that plus not having Morrow and Strop really hurts. But I mean if Edwards were Hader it would really change the outlook of the bullpen and talent wise I think he can be close to Hader. Obviously the results aren't there right now however.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Big show Bote, I'd take my chances. I dont think Council would have left Hader in to face Zobrist and Baez.

Dont mind me. This was a great game for the Brewers, winning 8 straight, they deserved the division and home field thru out the playoffs.

Maybe Maddon and the boys should mop up that clubhouse before the game tomorrow because if watching the brewers celebrate on your field is not enough, then wringing out Champagne and Beer mops might get an itch in their short hairs.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think the issue is Edwards. Clearly he has the stuff. When he's on he's untouchable. Problem is he's often not and he isn't really reliable. Well that plus not having Morrow and Strop really hurts. But I mean if Edwards were Hader it would really change the outlook of the bullpen and talent wise I think he can be close to Hader. Obviously the results aren't there right now however.

This bullpen is a mess. We all grimmace at Wilson, Kintzler, Edwards. Lester better go 9 tomorrow and Hendricks 9 on Thursday.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This bullpen is a mess. We all grimmace at Wilson, Kintzler, Edwards. Lester better go 9 tomorrow and Hendricks 9 on Thursday.

Well my point is more if you have Edwards pitching well you're likely only using Chavez, Cischek Edwards, Monty and hopefully Strop in the playoffs. And obviously if Morrow were around too that helps. But either way, that's not a bad bullpen. It's not MIL's bullpen but i'm not on pins and needles with Chavez and Cischek. Strop has been great since he came to the cubs. Monty is reliable. So, the question really comes down to edwards as he's really the only guy with elite stuff that you can bring in when you need a strike out other than I guess Strop.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

With Edwards, it appears to be release point but you really don't need that kind of crap in October....should've been handled much earlier. Sure, the trickle down from losing Morrow and Strop hurts but they still had enough if they scored a few more runs. I mentioned in another thread that I thought they had become an Earl Weaver 3 run homer team that didn't hit a lot of home runs.....again, KB being in a rut all season was a big contributor to that.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Ok but if you pinch hit Heyward with Almora then who are you hitting for the pitcher? Bote? And then who are you hitting for Murphy? Also, are you aware how poorly Bote has hit the last month? He's hitting .214/.302/.321 with a 33.3% K rate vs all pitchers. Hader isn't just any pitcher obviously.

I thought Almora pinch hit for Happ, which was more confusing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I thought Almora pinch hit for Happ, which was more confusing.

Well either way, I think that's missing the forrest for the trees here. They didn't lose the game there. They lost the game by not getting to a very hittable Chacin. When you're playing a team like MIL with their bullpen you have to score early. If you don't you're putting yourself behind the 8 ball.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Do you want people to celebrate the Cubs for losing the division?

As expected, you completely missed the point.

I was referring to you and your ilk, who come here ONLY to predict doom and gloom, and celebrate it on the rare occasions that you are correct.

When the Cubs win, you are nowhere to be found. When they lose, you're dancing like the bullpen.

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
Might not be the only time milw celebrates at wrigley...what a pathetic thought..really hope we can return the favor when the season is on the line

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So x2. Yank Q early. 2 solid by Chavez. Then burp

I’m blaming Joe here. He screwed up again with not trusting Q

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well either way, I think that's missing the forrest for the trees here. They didn't lose the game there. They lost the game by not getting to a very hittable Chacin. When you're playing a team like MIL with their bullpen you have to score early. If you don't you're putting yourself behind the 8 ball.

I am starting to think Joe might have out thunk himself putting Almora in the game in the 8 spot when Happ was already there thiniking he was hitting for the pitcher. Happ was double switched when Q came out.

They better get it together or there will be two celebrations in the visitors locker room at Wrigley.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So x2. Yank Q early. 2 solid by Chavez. Then burp

I’m blaming Joe here. He screwed up again with not trusting Q

Q was leading off the next inning. My thought was he wanted more offense than Q being done. Think he realize he needed more runs quickly before Hader was in.