1st Round Options...

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way I see it today, if I'm Chicago the only QB I consider in the top 3 is Kizer and that is only if he checks all the boxes. If he does I would even trade up to #1 for him to ensure they grab their guy.

Outside of that I think the Bears should draft the best player on the board and trade up in the early 20's to grab a Falk, Webb, Watson type.

I hope Cleveland falls in love with Trubisky, it will confirm my suspicion he will only be a guy in the NFL. Then the Bears could have Garrett or Kizer fall right in their laps.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do a Google search, type in Browns Trubisky and you will see tons of articles with the Browns targeting Trubisky, all in the last few days. Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't, but that should at least take away your feeling that it is bizarre.

That they would have an interest in him isn't what I find bizarre. What I find bizarre is this idea many seem to have that Cleveland are taking a QB and that the Bears will go defense. It's like there's an automatic assumption that every bad team will draft a QB, while the team with the absolute least at the position (Fales and Barkley) are more likely to go defense.

There isn't a team in the NFL in more need of a QB than the Bears, yet the comments of half the people on this board is about which defender we can get, and when it comes to QB it's like, meh, we'll just pick up whoever falls. Like there's no urgency about the position. That's what I find bizarre.

Last edited:

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
It would only be acceptable to pass on a QB in the 1st if we're getting a true impact player at an impact position.

Myles Garrett is pretty much the only person who qualifies as the latter.

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
Why? Seriously? look at the shit show team he's put together. And you're excited because he was "rumored" to be interested in some good QBs?? Give me a fucking break. You are what your record says you are in the NFL.

The team he "put together" has not played a single game together. This team has been riddled with injuries and dumb PED suspensions. He started with 0 talent and has added a great deal of talent in my opinion, the injuries have not given us a chance to see what this team could be. You can blame him for taking a shot on McPhee and his bad knees, maybe make a case for drafting Floyd who is a bit slight, but I don't think any of the players he has brought in are considered "injury prone". Just horrible luck this season.

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
I would not be against taking 2 quarterbacks this draft. Seems to have worked out ok for the Redskins and we don't have to mortgage our future to trade up to get one.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That they would have an interest in him isn't what I find bizarre. What I find bizarre is this idea many seem to have that Cleveland are taking a QB and that the Bears will go defense. It's like there's an automatic assumption that every bad team will draft a QB, while the team with the absolute least at the position (Fales and Barkley) are more likely to go defense.

There isn't a team in the NFL in more need of a QB than the Bears, yet the comments of half the people on this board is about which defender we can get, and when it comes to QB it's like, meh, we'll just pick up whoever falls. Like there's no urgency about the position. That's what I find bizarre.

I think the Bears and Jets are the two teams that need a quarterback the most. I actually think that if our defense was healthy it would be top 10, and has played that way at times, until they tire in the second half because of, well, not having a quarterback.

The reason I like Trubisky so much, is the improvement that he has caused for North Carolina, who is great in basketball, pretty poor in football, until now. Its kind of like Big Ben, when at Miami Ohio. All of a sudden you see a team winning games and you think, well that program has turned it around, more than likely there is an NFL future superstar on that team that caused it for that college, short term. I think Trubisky is going to be that guy.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I tend to agree with the thought that QB is not something that Chicago needs to "hope" they can get. The position is too important

If we end up picking high and a QB is there that Pace and Fox (or the new HC) are willing to gamble on then you pull the frigin trigger.

If they think that a Jimmy G or another teams backup can lead us to a Superbowl, then pull the friggin trigger.

Not only are the fans gun shy because we got burnt with Cutler, but I think the organization is gun shy also.

QB is the hardest position to get right, so that means that we may need to fail a couple of times to get the right kid in there, but we need to get off the pot and take a shot. If that means drafting a kid too high, then do it! Take the chance, get the one you want.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears and Jets are the two teams that need a quarterback the most. I actually think that if our defense was healthy it would be top 10, and has played that way at times, until they tire in the second half because of, well, not having a quarterback.

The reason I like Trubisky so much, is the improvement that he has caused for North Carolina, who is great in basketball, pretty poor in football, until now. Its kind of like Big Ben, when at Miami Ohio. All of a sudden you see a team winning games and you think, well that program has turned it around, more than likely there is an NFL future superstar on that team that caused it for that college, short term. I think Trubisky is going to be that guy.

With the whole people talking defense thing, I think part of it is some armchair GMs are trying to sound clever by suggesting something other than the most obvious, simple decision (which is to draft a QB). It isn't clever. It's as close to an Occam's Razor situation as you can get in football. The biggest need on this team is the most important position in the game, and they have their highest draft pick in 44 years with which to make it happen. Unless for some reason none of the QBs really appeal to them, the logical thing to do is get the best QB they're likely to have available to them in decades. Don't overthink it.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Actually the Tarheels have been much improved and have been playing respectable football for the last 7-8 years.

Going off your metric Falk is the guy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The team he "put together" has not played a single game together. This team has been riddled with injuries and dumb PED suspensions. He started with 0 talent and has added a great deal of talent in my opinion, the injuries have not given us a chance to see what this team could be. You can blame him for taking a shot on McPhee and his bad knees, maybe make a case for drafting Floyd who is a bit slight, but I don't think any of the players he has brought in are considered "injury prone". Just horrible luck this season.

2-8 is not horrible luck. That's the result of bad decision making.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually the Tarheels have been much improved and have been playing respectable football for the last 7-8 years.

Going off your metric Falk is the guy.

Well, the last 2 years for UNC. Before that 6-7, 7-6, even the 8-5 is pretty bad in that division.

Good point though with Falk, I will make him my Number 2 pick for QB.

I don't like the Notre Dame guy, and in many ways for the same metric, as you put it. Yeah, I know their defense sucks, but whatever.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, I just saw on CBS' mock that they have Trubisky going to the Bears at 3, after Garrett to Cleveland and Kizer to SF.

No complaints from me if that turns out to be accurate.

Sounds good to me!!! Go CBS, which is one of my larger investment holding too!

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
FWIW, I just saw on CBS' mock that they have Trubisky going to the Bears at 3, after Garrett to Cleveland and Kizer to SF.

No complaints from me if that turns out to be accurate.

I thank God you're not making the pick on draft day.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What about the one he passed on when he had 3 picks in the 4th?

To be fair, every team passed on Prescott multiple times. Hindsight is 20/20. Besides, is he as great as he looks or is he thriving in an offense with the best OL in football and arguably the best RB?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thank God you're not making the pick on draft day.

Plenty of people like Trubisky, including pro analysts who know a lot more than you do.

Besides, he isn't necessarily my number 1 choice personally, I just said I wouldn't complain.