1st Round Options...

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
To be fair, every team passed on Prescott multiple times. Hindsight is 20/20. Besides, is he as great as he looks or is he thriving in an offense with the best OL in football and arguable the best RB?

Not very team needed or was looking for a QB though. Pace was and was not afraid to say so.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not very team needed or was looking for a QB though. Pace was and was not afraid to say so.

Blaming pace for not taking Prescott is absurd. There's a reason he wasn't taken before round 4. Nobody knew he was going to be this good, if he even is. I have no idea how he'd be without the best OL and running game in football.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With the whole people talking defense thing, I think part of it is some armchair GMs are trying to sound clever by suggesting something other than the most obvious, simple decision (which is to draft a QB). It isn't clever. It's as close to an Occam's Razor situation as you can get in football. The biggest need on this team is the most important position in the game, and they have their highest draft pick in 44 years with which to make it happen. Unless for some reason none of the QBs really appeal to them, the logical thing to do is get the best QB they're likely to have available to them in decades. Don't overthink it.

I think that if the Bears get one of the top three picks, they should try like hell to trade down for more picks. If there were a can't miss qb prospect out there then I would certainly take him but it doesn't seem to be so. But they also need to find a great young head coach and offensive coordinator before they get to the draft.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that if the Bears get one of the top three picks, they should try like hell to trade down for more picks. If there were a can't miss qb prospect out there then I would certainly take him but it doesn't seem to be so. But they also need to find a great young head coach and offensive coordinator before they get to the draft.
The only way I'd agree with trading down is if they're genuinely blah on ALL the QBs. If there's one they really believe is "the guy", they should sprint to the podium to take him.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Blaming pace for not taking Prescott is absurd. There's a reason he wasn't taken before round 4. Nobody knew he was going to be this good, if he even is. I have no idea how he'd be without the best OL and running game in football.

I disagree.

Pace should be held accountable.

Whether 30 other teams did or not pick him either is irrelevant. Like I said, most, by that point were not looking for a QB. We were.Ryan Pace himself met with and evaluated dak and decided he was not worth using one of his three 4th round picks on. That's a mistake.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To be fair, every team passed on Prescott multiple times. Hindsight is 20/20. Besides, is he as great as he looks or is he thriving in an offense with the best OL in football and arguably the best RB?

He's better than what we have.... Or do you think Cutler would have done as well on the Cowboys?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20. But at least the Cowboys had the smarts to recognize they had a need for a young QB and took a shot with someone. Pace didn't even give the Bears a chance.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
What if I guaranteed you Myles Garrett is Von Miller and Garoppolo is better than anyone in this draft class?!? That is my opinion.

I was all in on Mariota, Wentz, and Paxton Lynch the last 2 years. You have to look at each draft class on its own merit. To me, this looks like the EJ Manuel draft class. Hopefully something changes between now and end of the year but acquiring Jimmy is a realistic option this offseason. Naturally I am hoping the Bears fire Fox and bring in McDaniels.

Crappollo is Matt Flynn 2.0. We could get Flynn for a lot less.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's better than what we have.... Or do you think Cutler would have done as well on the Cowboys?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20. But at least the Cowboys had the smarts to recognize they had a need for a young QB and took a shot with someone. Pace didn't even give the Bears a chance.
We're about to pick a QB with the third overall pick. I could not be less concerned with Dak Prescott.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
There are QBs with huge upside that will be available when the Bears pick in the first. If Pace goes any direction but one of those QBs he has failed. It is pretty simple. There is nothing to overthink here. Attempt to fill the most important position in sports with a premium pick, a pick higher than the Bears will likely see again. Be it Watson, Kizer or Trubisky I am sure Pace will like one of them and I highly doubt he passes. Trading down would be the most idiotic thing he could do. The Bears need a franchise signal caller more than they need depth. Build around the QB once you have one in house.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
What if I guaranteed you Myles Garrett is Von Miller and Garoppolo is better than anyone in this draft class?!? That is my opinion.

I was all in on Mariota, Wentz, and Paxton Lynch the last 2 years. You have to look at each draft class on its own merit. To me, this looks like the EJ Manuel draft class. Hopefully something changes between now and end of the year but acquiring Jimmy is a realistic option this offseason. Naturally I am hoping the Bears fire Fox and bring in McDaniels.

You're not going to get Garrett and trade for Garoppolo. The Patriots aren't going to trade him for anything less than a number one.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
We're about to pick a QB with the third overall pick. I could not be less concerned with Dak Prescott.

Then you're a fool. If Pace had picked Dak we could have had a starter locked up and then used a top pick on a game changing defensive talent.

And do you think having the 3rd pick guarantees a good QB or something? Have you not seen the number of busts in round 1 of the draft? The 3rd pick is no guarantee of anything. If Pace had any smarts he should have picked a QB each of the last two years. At the very least he should have drafted one. Drafting none is simply inexcusable. You have to throw numbers at the QB position. Simply taking one swing every 3 years like the Bears do is ridiculous and part of the reason we're in this predicament. Look at the Patriots. They had two good QB's and STILL drafted J. Brissett.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Does Pace get a participation trophy for trying? You guys seem so excited he "went after" a QB.

Wow, you're so angry about the fact that Pace was at least looking at a couple of QB's that ended up being good in the NFL or are on their way to that...lol

I'm just simply saying that maybe he has an eye for good QB's is all so go take your tampon out now and quit getting so angry about it.

cornwash4prez

Liked Posts:
If I had to guess now, I would say that they go long snapper in the 1st round. This team has been in a consistent decline ever since Pat Mannelly retired and there is elite talent in this draft if you are willing to pull the trigger. You get a guy like that and you can count on your special teams for at least 10 points per game.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Wow, you're so angry about the fact that Pace was at least looking at a couple of QB's that ended up being good in the NFL or are on their way to that...lol

I'm just simply saying that maybe he has an eye for good QB's is all so go take your tampon out now and quit getting so angry about it.

Has this even been proven that Pace went after these guys? Or is this simply a Twitter rumor?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
3 Issues:

1). We will know ALOT more about QBs after the super bowl. The last few years have seen a tremendous swing in QB evals after the season is over. Looking more at mechanics and less stats.

2). Arguably, the NFL as a whole has gotten better about QB evaluations the last few years. The early 1st round bust % has lowered. Years ago, you would not see a small school prospect like Wentz rise as far as #2.

3). Pace hasn't had the 3rd or 4th overall yet. That is a much better position to grab a starting QB than 7 or 11. All the top prospects were well off the board for QB in his prior drafts (and for your Prescott pushers, Fuck off, show me the post where you ranted about Tom Brady and you can talk shit like you are a GM).

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The best thing the Bears could do is to draft Garrett to pair with Floyd and then draft the best QB available in round two. There is no guarantee that the first round QB will be better than the best QB available in the second round. So draft the sure thing to work to transform that defense into elite level pass rushing and get a QB to groom. If Floyd turns into what we think he can be based on this season and Garrett is BETTER you have what the Broncos have Miller and Ware and a developing secondary.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Then you're a fool. If Pace had picked Dak we could have had a starter locked up and then used a top pick on a game changing defensive talent.

:obama:

Wake up dude, jesus. I'm not concerned about him NOW. He's a Cowboy. We can't go back and draft him, or Carr, or Wilson, or Brees or Brady or any of the other QBs who were not first rounders yet have gone on to succeed in the NFL. And, once again, NOBODY knows whether he would be doing well on the Bears. He's sitting in the perfect situation with the best OL in football in front of him and the best RB in football behind him. Who couldn't do well in that situation? You also have no idea if he's going to have a sophomore slump or be great for a decade.

I'm only concerned with who the Bears pick in 2017. But hey, if you prefer to stew over not having Prescott, have at it.

Last edited:

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
The best thing the Bears could do is to draft Garrett to pair with Floyd and then draft the best QB available in round two. There is no guarantee that the first round QB will be better than the best QB available in the second round. So draft the sure thing to work to transform that defense into elite level pass rushing and get a QB to groom. If Floyd turns into what we think he can be based on this season and Garrett is BETTER you have what the Broncos have Miller and Ware and a developing secondary.

I am also leaning in the direction of not gambling on a first round QB but take the sure bet defensive difference maker. However it seems more likely the Bears will have a chance to draft Jonathan Allen than Garrett.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are QBs with huge upside that will be available when the Bears pick in the first.

Wrong! Prescott was the answer, and Pace failed the test. He needs to be fired for not having the foresight to know that Prescott would come in to a stacked offense and perform well. Since he didn't draft Prescott, he's a failure.