2 Week Out Mock Draft

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think that is a tough take because in a game of scarce resources, every offseason is a scramble to fill holes for most teams. Drafting starters to compete with already highly paid starters that you cannot cheaply cut is not very common.

I would agree if we don't see some investment this season, with Ifedi as a questionable long term solution at RT, and Leno likely getting cut next season, your criticism would be more accurate.

You want to see a neglected position on the Bears. It's SS. He let Amos, Dix and Gipson all walk. Never paid big money at the position. 30 million to Massie and 37 million to Leno isn't neglect, they just didn't play up to their contracts.
The difference between strong safety and offensive tackle is the inherent importance of the positions. Having bad offensive tackles is a death sentence in the NFL, while there are many ways to cover for a below-average strong safety.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
How much would the Bears save by cutting Leno and could they get Eric Fisher, R.Okung or A.Villanueva or even old man Jason Peters to sign for what we save cutting Leno?

Save 6.2Mil by cutting Leno right now. Wait til June 1, and that saves 9M. You could probably get any of those guys for 5Mil, but the issue is you still need to sign the draft class. So, they'd have to cut someone else (probably Graham) to make both things work. Oh and Eric Fisher tore his Achilles in the AFC championship game in late January. He's not playing in 2021.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I would really like to get Mitchell Schwartz if he's willing to sign. I know he's got risk factors everywhere but man, it was not too long ago that he was one of the best in the league.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Save 6.2Mil by cutting Leno right now. Wait til June 1, and that saves 9M. You could probably get any of those guys for 5Mil, but the issue is you still need to sign the draft class. So, they'd have to cut someone else (probably Graham) to make both things work. Oh and Eric Fisher tore his Achilles in the AFC championship game in late January. He's not playing in 2021.

Eagles guard Brandon Brooks tore his Achilles in January of 2019 and started all 16 games the next season. (Thank you The Athletic)

There is no indication whatsoever that Fisher is not playing in 2021.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Eagles guard Brandon Brooks tore his Achilles in January of 2019 and started all 16 games the next season. (Thank you The Athletic)

True, I'll give you that. Either way, I'm not spending money on him.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

That could just be because Brandon Brooks is a fucking beast though.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
True, I'll give you that. Either way, I'm not spending money on him.

depends on the situation. For the right price maybe. I’m certainly looking for a huge discount as it’s risky as all hell

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The difference between strong safety and offensive tackle is the inherent importance of the positions. Having bad offensive tackles is a death sentence in the NFL, while there are many ways to cover for a below-average strong safety.

No disagreement here. I just pointed out the difference between a truly neglected position (SS) and one where the invested players just didn't work out (OT). I think Pace has done a great job in the defensive backfield moving players and pieces around and drafting to fill out the roster.

My contention was that Pace hasn't neglected the OT position, and that drafting a player high to replace them would have been a risky proposition because of the cost to cut them.

Pace has 3 picks inside the top 100 to grab an OT. Its a good year to do it. If he doesn't do it, or get lucky on a later selection, then the criticism is valid. But really, until this season, the roster at OT was fairly set due to contract status.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It's nice to see somebody put thought into a mock draft and not just copy and paste a screen shot from some sim with like 50 trade backs and us picking up a top 5 QB this year for next year's waterboy. Either way, I digress.

I understand why Bateman would make more sense, size-wise, and had mocked him for a Pace pick, too. If he goes in the first, I see why you took the slippery WR later. Bateman's not a bad pick, just not my pick.

If I had to choose between a S in the 2nd and another position of relative equal value, I'd go with my man Jabril Cox. He brings nastiness and fills a current and future need at the position. Yes, S is a need, but LB may be a bigger one with Trevathan the way he is. He may bounce back, but he also may not.

I like you’re including Miller in a Draft day trade, I wonder if Hicks or Foles could find themselves in one as well.

I think, despite what many say, Newman is just as much of a gamble as about any other QB outside of the top 5. The thing with him is he can come in to run packages as a running QB, maybe even bring in some triple option! Yeah, Oklahoma Wishbone!!!

You know I'd rather have Ben Mason at the UTE position, but that's just me again.

But, seriously, not a bad draft.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
No disagreement here. I just pointed out the difference between a truly neglected position (SS) and one where the invested players just didn't work out (OT). I think Pace has done a great job in the defensive backfield moving players and pieces around and drafting to fill out the roster.

My contention was that Pace hasn't neglected the OT position, and that drafting a player high to replace them would have been a risky proposition because of the cost to cut them.

Pace has 3 picks inside the top 100 to grab an OT. Its a good year to do it. If he doesn't do it, or get lucky on a later selection, then the criticism is valid. But really, until this season, the roster at OT was fairly set due to contract status.
How the fuck is ss neglected? They let go Amos who isn’t all that to begin with who got a large contract cause they knew they would be breaking the bank with ej. Pace safety picks were all 4 and up rounders. He actually hit on two of them. We were never paying both and we are not drafting one early. A strong case can be made we wish pace “neglected” fs and let ej walk. That money on oline or dline would have been money better spent

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My problem with WR at 20 is it's a strong position in the draft. You can very likely get a really good WR in round 3 or later. Not so when you're talking QB, CB or OT. It's also a position the Bears have 2 good starters at. I get the want/need for a couple of other good WR's..... there's none on the team. But CB and QB are by far the biggest needs right now in my opinion. OT is right up there too but I'll believe Pace spending a high pick on an OT when I see it. So I guess my point is if you're picking a WR at 20 it better be a damn good one.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'd like a #20 WR but it's a waste, we know the Bears won't pay beyond the rookie contract.

Defense in the 2nd and a QB in the 3rd may make me give up on the team. I'd like the interception positions to be talented but both of those would tell me their focus is still way off from what the team needs.
If we ever want a good QB and a team that can compete we'd better focus on the offense. It's been like this for too long to think it's only coming from our offensive minded GM and HC.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I think the thing with the not drafting tackles and the people that are upset about it is that us fans can talk about what we want Pace to do or what we think Pace should of done without having a NFL football team of 53 players to build and a cap to stay within while building that 53 man roster...LOL

We had two tackles locked into contracts and yeah they both didn't play up to their contracts worth but you can't just use a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on another tackle when you have those two under contract and have needs at OLB, CB, S, DL, QB, WR, TE and every other position we had needs for the last few years we've had Leno and Massie under contract.

greg23

Liked Posts:
While I like Bateman, I think its a pretty deep wr class and one in rounds 2/3 wouldn't be much different (esp if you're drafting another one later) and a good one in 4/5 can be found again (like mooney)

I think the value at 20 is either going to be darrisaw or on defense and my guess is pace goes defense (db)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Me no likey

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

That’s where I disagree with you. Overpaying for mediocrity at the T spot with multi-year contracts may have been why he hasn’t drafted T high, but that is precisely what it means to neglect that position group. Passing on good OT prospects because you overpaid below average players is Pace’s doing. THAT is neglect, IMO.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm not an oline evaluating god but even I could see Leno and Massie's idea of keeping defense off the QB was to push them directly into the QB. That is not good or even decent play. That was who they were before the contracts were offered and we were lied to about how we have a good tackle worthy of starting.
Pushing defense into the QB is not keeping them off, it's helping them (and some of you defended that type of play from our tackles Trubbles 2nd year against Packers).

Personally I don't think it's Pace or Nagy not valuing oline. I think it's Papa Bear, Virginia and McCaskeys trying to keep the legacy alive and forcing the failed philosophy. It's been going on too long to be any GM or HC. Although Papa Bear did value offense somewhat McCaskeys have twisted that into offense isn't worth paying and anyone can play oline.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
It’s about the coaching staff consistently showing that they can’t evaluate their personnel for shit.