2 Week Out Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can easily spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on an OT to develop and compete even with Leno and Massie under contract.

We spent a 4th round pick on Ridley when we already had 3 starting WRs.

We spent a 5th on Gipson when we already had 200 million invested in Quinn and Mack.

We spent a 5th on Vildor when we had Johnson and Fuller.

You can very easily spend picks to replace mediocre starters at premium positions.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I am also not a huge Newman fan. I think he is a huge swing.

But they are going to need someone who has a reasonable shot of at least giving them a Jalen Hurts level of performance. Newman has a ton of tools.

Newman quit Georgia when it became clear he wasnt going to start. He had an atrocious camp. He lost the gig to a freshman RB masquerading around as a QB and a manlet named Stetson. He sucks.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Eagles guard Brandon Brooks tore his Achilles in January of 2019 and started all 16 games the next season. (Thank you The Athletic)

There is no indication whatsoever that Fisher is not playing in 2021.
Correct....Fisher is expected to return by July/August timeframe. My guess is that he should be ready to go by the start of the season even if it takes him a few games to in game shape

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Newman quit Georgia when it became clear he wasnt going to start. He had an atrocious camp. He lost the gig to a freshman RB masquerading around as a QB and a manlet named Stetson. He sucks.

And the year before he threw 28 TDs, had 7 picks and average 7.8 yards per attempt.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
And the year before he threw 28 TDs, had 7 picks and average 7.8 yards per attempt.
Mechanics completely break down when pressure comes, bad pocket presence, SLOW in progressions, locks onto first receiver. Those are the reports I’ve read. He had 1 good season, but those deficiencies show on tape.

Frankly, lost some respect for him when he quit a team when he didn’t think he could beat out JT Daniels. I don’t want that on the Bears, especially at the QB position.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You can easily spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on an OT to develop and compete even with Leno and Massie under contract.

We spent a 4th round pick on Ridley when we already had 3 starting WRs.

We spent a 5th on Gipson when we already had 200 million invested in Quinn and Mack.

We spent a 5th on Vildor when we had Johnson and Fuller.

You can very easily spend picks to replace mediocre starters at premium positions.

Massie is gone isn't he?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In 6 drafts he has spent 2 premium picks on OGs.

He has never drafted an OT higher than the 6th round.

It is pretty clear that he does not believe in building the line with premium picks.
Well, when you've got Leno and Massie already on the roster...... ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Massie missed most of the last 2 seasons.

Massie was decent for 1 season and we treated him like a perennially good player.
Leno has never been more than serviceable and we have never even tried to upgrade him or have him compete.
Agreed.

It is long past time to upgrade.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think the thing with the not drafting tackles and the people that are upset about it is that us fans can talk about what we want Pace to do or what we think Pace should of done without having a NFL football team of 53 players to build and a cap to stay within while building that 53 man roster...LOL

We had two tackles locked into contracts and yeah they both didn't play up to their contracts worth but you can't just use a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on another tackle when you have those two under contract and have needs at OLB, CB, S, DL, QB, WR, TE and every other position we had needs for the last few years we've had Leno and Massie under contract.
When your QB is running for his life, or is an inexperienced QB trying to figure out reads and checkdowns, not investing in an O Line is criminal.

Just watch the draft gurus casually mention that teams that went with a QB high recently - Cincy, for example, are likely to invest high picks in O Linemen. The best WR in the world won't make your offense go if your young QB (or old QB or that matter) doesn't have protection and can't get him the ball.

It starts up front.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bateman is the only WR I would consider at #20 outside of the big 3.

Freddie Mitchell

The bears cause me misery
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
Bateman is the only WR I would consider at #20 outside of the big 3.
I heard Bateman liked to do acid with the hockey team at Minnesota but other than that seems like a stand up guy. I would actually love to see him on the outside with mooney at the slot I think Dalton would go off for about 3,200 yards next year.

Freddie Mitchell

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
I would really like to get Mitchell Schwartz if he's willing to sign. I know he's got risk factors everywhere but man, it was not too long ago that he was one of the best in the league.
I would love to sign him then draft a tackle at 20 or the second round. Pace also loves to attack positions of need that way. He lets a guy on the roster, a free agent, and draft pick fight it out. Mike Glennon-Mitch Trubisky. Trey Burton-Adam Shaheen. Obvi does not work sometimes but its an option.

Freddie Mitchell

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Ohio Bobcats
When Pace took over we carried only Leno and Kyle Long forward. Grasu was drafted in the 3rd as a starter. We had Vlad Ducasse and Matt Slauson to round out the 5. So Pace took Cody Whitehair to bolster the middle and signed Massie and Sitton. That's when Long's injuries really started. 2017 we carried the same starting 5 forward with Long further breaking down, which necessitated the draft of Daniels in the 2nd round in 2018, but he just ended up replacing Sitton while Long totally broke down in 2018. Despite that we didn't really replace Long in a meaningful way and ended up leaning on Coward while the rest of the line broke down (Whitehair/Daniels switch, Leno sucking, etc). Despite all that, Pace ignored the position in the 2020 draft but for 2 7th round picks. His only meaningful addition to the roster was Ifedi on a minimum contract. It showed in the first half of the season as well with the line only solidifying when Mustipher was forced into action. Frankly: Pace got really lucky that Mustipher could play and Ifedi outperformed his contract or else things would have got a whole lot worse.

It's not to say Pace was dead wrong or anything but the fact remains that he hasn't prioritized making sure there's young talent in the O line pipeline.
I love how teams like the rams, and ravens draft offensive lineman. They draft them before there is a need at that position and by the time there is a spot to be filled that young OL is ready to compete or they have to lean on a veteran. I loved the whitehair and Daniels pick but I would have loved a 3-4-5th round tackle in 2019-2020.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
When your QB is running for his life, or is an inexperienced QB trying to figure out reads and checkdowns, not investing in an O Line is criminal.

Just watch the draft gurus casually mention that teams that went with a QB high recently - Cincy, for example, are likely to invest high picks in O Linemen. The best WR in the world won't make your offense go if your young QB (or old QB or that matter) doesn't have protection and can't get him the ball.

It starts up front.

Bear fan blinders, they make excuses for whatever the team does no matter how many decades it fails to work. With what we gave for Mack we could've traded for any tackle(s) in the league and had enough left over to eat those contracts (not like we couldn't still use them as backups).
But Bears fans think we needed pass rush, while at the same time saying any 7th rounder can protect against that pass rush.

I still say Mack was a hard player to turn down, but at the time we didn't need pass rush as much as we needed pass rush protection and WRs, he should've been turned down. But we had a 4th and 7th rounder to protect the QB, so we were good, let's tie them into big contracts.
If any late rounder can defend against a pass rush then you don't need pass rush.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t trust Mike Furrey to develop a raw WR prospect like Toney.

Give me the polished guy.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bear fan blinders, they make excuses for whatever the team does no matter how many decades it fails to work. With what we gave for Mack we could've traded for any tackle(s) in the league and had enough left over to eat those contracts (not like we couldn't still use them as backups).
But Bears fans think we needed pass rush, while at the same time saying any 7th rounder can protect against that pass rush.

I still say Mack was a hard player to turn down, but at the time we didn't need pass rush as much as we needed pass rush protection and WRs, he should've been turned down. But we had a 4th and 7th rounder to protect the QB, so we were good, let's tie them into big contracts.
If any late rounder can defend against a pass rush then you don't need pass rush.
We traded for Mack, had the best D in the league, and went 12-4 with Trubisky at QB. I think that trade proved to be a good one, but many here feel otherwise.

While his peers consider him an All pro, CCS thinks Mack hasn't played well.

I have never, ever been one to under emphasize the importance of O Line. Every year we need to address it, and most years we ignore it.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
We traded for Mack, had the best D in the league, and went 12-4 with Trubisky at QB. I think that trade proved to be a good one, but many here feel otherwise.

While his peers consider him an All pro, CCS thinks Mack hasn't played well.

I have never, ever been one to under emphasize the importance of O Line. Every year we need to address it, and most years we ignore it.

I was talking about the one you were replying to who was making excuses for Leno and Massie. Like ever keeping them was understandable and the contract was an innocent mistake. It wasn't, it's the Bear repeating the same mistakes.

As I said, Mack is a hard talent to turn down. It's the cost of the trade that made it too costly considering we didn't have an oline for the young QB at the time it was offered.
If there is that much value for a pass rush by the team there should be an equal value on pass protection, we had a 4th and a 7th as tackles. That is the perfect example of the Bears thoughts on oline, Cadillacs on defense, Volkswagens on offense doing the same job on the 2 sides of the ball.

Those fans don't even need to watch other games, they could watch the teams we play and compare what our offense does to what theirs do.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could actually see Pace draft like this. I think at 20, he goes for a player that can make an immediate impact and help Dalton. Let's face it, that Dalton highlight video they showed us was mostly Ceedee Lamb making amazing catches. Dalton will need as much help as possible, and I wouldn't hate this draft if it fell like this. Unless by some miracle Fields is still on the board, I would be ok with drafting a WR to help Dalton and possibly replace ARob if no deal is reached.