2 Week Out Mock Draft

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I think 18 and 52 will be some kind of combo of WR/CB or CB/WR.
Not a fan of Bateman in the 1st
Newman is a waste of a pick at #83. imo, 5th round earliest but I don't like him at all.
Agreed on Bateman. I'm taking Terrace Marshall in that spot and he can play inside and out. This team needs more explosive plays. I like Bateman and all but he's a nice possession receiver. T.M averaged a TD every 4 catches the last two years AND 15 ypc. If he hadn't opted out after 7 games this past year, he'd be a lock top 20 pick. He was on a rampage and couldn't be stopped.

Screenshot_20210414-021312.jpg

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think that is a tough take because in a game of scarce resources, every offseason is a scramble to fill holes for most teams. Drafting starters to compete with already highly paid starters that you cannot cheaply cut is not very common.

I would agree if we don't see some investment this season, with Ifedi as a questionable long term solution at RT, and Leno likely getting cut next season, your criticism would be more accurate.

You want to see a neglected position on the Bears. It's SS. He let Amos, Dix and Gipson all walk. Never paid big money at the position. 30 million to Massie and 37 million to Leno isn't neglect, they just didn't play up to their contracts.
I agree with you on OT, but SS isn’t a position to spend a lot on. Even though HaHa was a good player, he wasn’t a fit at SS. We haven’t really had a true SS since Amos, really...

Luke

Liked Posts:
Agreed on Bateman. I'm taking Terrace Marshall in that spot and he can play inside and out. This team needs more explosive plays. I like Bateman and all but he's a nice possession receiver. T.M averaged a TD every 4 catches the last two years AND 15 ypc. If he hadn't opted out after 7 games this past year, he'd be a lock top 20 pick. He was on a rampage and couldn't be stopped.

View attachment 11253

yep, agree on Bateman.
I'm a big Marshall fan at 20 for the reasons you stated.
6'3, 200 4.38 40 , 39 vert and an extremely hard worker.
23 td's in 19 games over the past 2 years and 2019 he had 13 with Chase and Jefferson on the team.
I've been saying Newsome since Fuller was released and then Marshall as the offense pick.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree with you on OT, but SS isn’t a position to spend a lot on. Even though HaHa was a good player, he wasn’t a fit at SS. We haven’t really had a true SS since Amos, really...
It is funny, because for years the Bears would pick a SS type, and claim that he could ALSO play FS.

Jackson could return to 2018 form if he was not pressed into SS roles at times.

Ed Reed played the center fielder role for the Ravens like a Hall of Famer, and they were smart enough to leave him in that role.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I love how teams like the rams, and ravens draft offensive lineman. They draft them before there is a need at that position and by the time there is a spot to be filled that young OL is ready to compete or they have to lean on a veteran. I loved the whitehair and Daniels pick but I would have loved a 3-4-5th round tackle in 2019-2020.
Obviously they need to pan out. Pace has taken late round projects before and they were off the roster within a year (sometimes). Tayo Fabuluje and Jordan Morgan are the notable ones here.

It looks like he lucked out in UDFA with Mustipher and Bars though who are at least rosterable guys.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Top marks for 'this is probably something Pace would do.'

As for the logic behind it all? Like Pace, there is none...

Rashad Bateman hypothetically joins ARob, Kmet, Graham, Mooney, Monty, and Cohen as a pass-catching option. They all cannot be on the field at the same time and 'punch' when it was rolling last year did not need more. It needed Nagy to gtfo of the way. You can make an argument that depth at WR is thin after Arob and Mooney, but a GM trying to save his job has to know he gets shitcanned faster if his 1st round draft pick is a playmaker who is going to see very limited opportunities because of other talents around him and a middling QB who cannot make every throw in Nagy's vast playbook.

OT in round 4? I get the logic trying to connect dots with Pace's draft history of OT taken during his time here but 'need' matters too. Did Ryan Pace really ignore OT early in the draft because he devalued it as Windy infers or did he ignore OT because he's never needed to draft one with a valuable resource/early draft pick? I'll shelve the Cody Whitehair rebuttal for now (because he was a college LT taken early then moved inside because that's where the need was because Vlad Ducasse and Hroniss Grasu were bad/couldn't stay on the field) Pace makes an easy target of himself frequently, granted--but insinuating the former would be especially careless given the gravitas of being a GM. That's being willingly incompetent and while I think Pace guesses wrong plenty--he's not that willingly incompetent.

He inherited then paid Charles Leno--who was competent at one point in his career otherwise he wouldn't have gotten double-digit millions per year. He paid Bobby Massie a year on the job after shuffling Kyle Long inside after 2015 season. After 2019 it was apparent OT was a top need but it got punted because Pace creates a lot of holes for himself with the roster and contracts he gave Leno/Massie were reasonable spending at 9 and 11 mil when teams were dropping 22.5+ mil on their good LTs.

Especially like the Stearns and Morrissey picks. Don't think they'll be available when you have them being drafted but I won't complain. Like the ST WR late. Just don't try to use him like something he's not like with Patterson. I agree with premise of drafting a QB mid rounds to maybe have him play a game or two late in the season to show hope--but Jamie Newman in the 3rd won't excite anybody.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Obviously they need to pan out. Pace has taken late round projects before and they were off the roster within a year (sometimes). Tayo Fabuluje and Jordan Morgan are the notable ones here.

It looks like he lucked out in UDFA with Mustipher and Bars though who are at least rosterable guys.
Give credit where it’s due.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Top marks for 'this is probably something Pace would do.'

As for the logic behind it all? Like Pace, there is none...

Rashad Bateman hypothetically joins ARob, Kmet, Graham, Mooney, Monty, and Cohen as a pass-catching option. They all cannot be on the field at the same time and 'punch' when it was rolling last year did not need more. It needed Nagy to gtfo of the way. You can make an argument that depth at WR is thin after Arob and Mooney, but a GM trying to save his job has to know he gets shitcanned faster if his 1st round draft pick is a playmaker who is going to see very limited opportunities because of other talents around him and a middling QB who cannot make every throw in Nagy's vast playbook.

OT in round 4? I get the logic trying to connect dots with Pace's draft history of OT taken during his time here but 'need' matters too. Did Ryan Pace really ignore OT early in the draft because he devalued it as Windy infers or did he ignore OT because he's never needed to draft one with a valuable resource/early draft pick? I'll shelve the Cody Whitehair rebuttal for now (because he was a college LT taken early then moved inside because that's where the need was because Vlad Ducasse and Hroniss Grasu were bad/couldn't stay on the field) Pace makes an easy target of himself frequently, granted--but insinuating the former would be especially careless given the gravitas of being a GM. That's being willingly incompetent and while I think Pace guesses wrong plenty--he's not that willingly incompetent.

He inherited then paid Charles Leno--who was competent at one point in his career otherwise he wouldn't have gotten double-digit millions per year. He paid Bobby Massie a year on the job after shuffling Kyle Long inside after 2015 season. After 2019 it was apparent OT was a top need but it got punted because Pace creates a lot of holes for himself with the roster and contracts he gave Leno/Massie were reasonable spending at 9 and 11 mil when teams were dropping 22.5+ mil on their good LTs.

Especially like the Stearns and Morrissey picks. Don't think they'll be available when you have them being drafted but I won't complain. Like the ST WR late. Just don't try to use him like something he's not like with Patterson. I agree with premise of drafting a QB mid rounds to maybe have him play a game or two late in the season to show hope--but Jamie Newman in the 3rd won't excite anybody.
In my mind, a WR pick this year is to replace Arob next year when the Bears do not re franchise tag him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Give credit where it’s due.
I am. Without Mustipher/Bars the Bears already bad O line would have been legendarily bad. Bars might develop into a decent starter but is at least a solid backup while Mustipher came in and really solidified the interior line from the center spot where both Whitehair and Daniels previously couldn't. It gives Pace a little leeway with regard to missing on other guys like Hambright/Simmons (if he indeed did).

Reactions: Myk

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I am. Without Mustipher/Bars the Bears already bad O line would have been legendarily bad. Bars might develop into a decent starter but is at least a solid backup while Mustipher came in and really solidified the interior line from the center spot where both Whitehair and Daniels previously couldn't. It gives Pace a little leeway with regard to missing on other guys like Hambright/Simmons (if he indeed did).
6th/7th rd picks and UDFAs are pretty much the same level of prospect. And there are really no misses with those, just hits if they even stay on the roster. And to find starters? That’s like striking gold. Pace gets the props for finding them.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
In my mind, a WR pick this year is to replace Arob next year when the Bears do not re franchise tag him.

If Pace is on the hot seat, drafting a guy for 2022 and beyond gets him fired faster when he needs an immediate impact player for 2021, which Bateman wouldn't be given other receiving options on the team and limitations at QB. I also don't understand how the bears with 43 and change mil in cap space for 2022 (pre-cuts/extensions per Spotrac) with Robinson and Roquan as main players to extend--can't keep Robinson/both for that matter comfortably...

The only way your premise makes sense is if Pace has been told he's safe no matter what happens in 2021. We don't know what he's been told behind closed doors but draft day ultimately will be telling.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL! I can see why since he did such an awful job with Mooney...

Meanwhile we have Miller, Wims, and Ridley all doing nothing or regressing and being morons in the process.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Pace is on the hot seat, drafting a guy for 2022 and beyond gets him fired faster when he needs an immediate impact player for 2021, which Bateman wouldn't be given other receiving options on the team and limitations at QB. I also don't understand how the bears with 43 and change mil in cap space for 2022 (pre-cuts/extensions per Spotrac) with Robinson and Roquan as main players to extend--can't keep Robinson/both for that matter comfortably...

The only way your premise makes sense is if Pace has been told he's safe no matter what happens in 2021. We don't know what he's been told behind closed doors but draft day ultimately will be telling.
Depends on how he grades out... No one expected Mooney to do what he did last season... The brainthrust of the Bears might see the same in Bateman or another Wr. Since the Bears only have 2 decent Wr's, a third could come in handy. Grabbing a vet released later in the year could happen as well.

And we do not know what has been told to Pace behind closed doors. Perhaps, Nagy is the one on the hot seat? >shrugs< Personally, I would prefer it if Phillips, Pace and Nagy were all on the hot seat.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Meanwhile we have Miller, Wims, and Ridley all doing nothing or regressing and being morons in the process.
Ridley just hasn’t been given the chance, for whatever reason. He’s caught what’s come his way in his limited snaps. I just have no clue why he hasn’t been used more.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

So, is that the coaches fault or is it because they don't have it mentally or just suck????

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, is that the coaches fault or is it because they don't have it mentally or just suck????
Could be all 3.

Nothing that Furrey has done gives me confidence he can develop a raw WR into something. Mooney was a good route runner and continued that. Miller was not and still sucks at it.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Replace wims, Miller and Ridley with any other 3 wr and nothing will be different.....those guys all suck.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Replace wims, Miller and Ridley with any other 3 wr and nothing will be different.....those guys all suck.

Wouldn't it be a good plan to take the worst starting WR in the batch and give one of the others as much of a chance first? (Not saying going forward but through their history with the Bears.)
I could see the argument Wims has had his chance but the stats are definitely a black hole for Ridley.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't it be a good plan to take the worst starting WR in the batch and give one of the others as much of a chance first? (Not saying going forward but through their history with the Bears.)
I could see the argument Wims has had his chance but the stats are definitely a black hole for Ridley.

While I don't trust the BHVWGHC what-so-ever to properly judge and use his talent; the fact that Ridley can't pass wims or Miller leads me to believe he just sucks....plus he looks pedestrian when he plays and can't contribute on ST which he need to do as the 4th/5th wr

Replace him (and wims and miller) with anybody and you won't be losing anything....

Ideally the roster would be

Arob
Mooney
Rookie slot (1st-3rd round pick)
Fa vet
Rookie outside.(5th/6th round) developmental wr can contribute on ST

Reactions: Myk