2011-12 Chicago Cubs Offseason Ideas Thread

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they should look to trade him and if the offer is good, make the trade. We will start hearin' rumors now leading up to Monday, where the fun begins.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buster Olney: Teams think Matt Garza will be dealt this Winter. Winter Meetings could be a lot of talk on the Garza front. That means teams will pay up... Gunna be interesting.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buster Olney: Teams think Matt Garza will be dealt this Winter. Winter Meetings could be a lot of talk on the Garza front. That means teams will pay up... Gunna be interesting.

Well, here's hoping for a big package!

(that's what she said)

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think we should trade Randy yet. He's coming off a bad year, let him get his stock up before you trade him.

Wells is coming off 2 bad years. He is what he is. +4 ERA and eats innings. His rookie year was a fluke

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wells is coming off 2 bad years. He is what he is. +4 ERA and eats innings. His rookie year was a fluke

Let me guess... you're also using his W-L to say his rookie year was a fluke. Even though his 2010 was arguably better than his 2009.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Let me guess... you're also using his W-L to say his rookie year was a fluke. Even though his 2010 was arguably better than his 2009.
How was it better?:shrug:

I just don't see a team that's going to pay through the nose for a 4th starter at best.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Randy Wells Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

If I were an outsider looking in, I would say that Wells had terrible luck on home runs, and wasn't getting as many swing-and-misses as in his previous two years. The fact is that he's approaching age 30 and he's not actually that good, but because of the minimum salary he's been valuable for the production he gave. I think 2009 and 2010 were comparable if you looked at the peripherals and not his record. The terrible luck, the injury, and the fact that Wells' walk rate went up while his strikeout rate went down suggest a fluke in 2011, not 2009. However you only have three full seasons of MLB data to play with and Wells didn't even pitch the whole season in two of those. So it's probably a toss-up as to which one was the fluke.

He's arb eligible for the first time and should be cheapish; they'll pay him about $2MM to give them an extra win over the season which is more than fair. But because he is cheapish, and because he has at least average production which makes him a decent back-end rotation guy, they have to explore that trade route. He might be more valuable as a trade chip than providing the extra win.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mooney on CSN just said that cause of CBA that he expects payroll to go up

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goldstein also saying cause of CBA that Cubs will be bigger players in FA

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ricketts admitted he was "personally surprised" at the the new draft rules in the collective bargaining agreement that include harsh penalties for exceeding tax thresholds.

"It's a big shift, a bigger shift than I expected," he said.

The Cubs were born-again spenders in the 2011 draft, spending a club record $12 million. Ricketts said the possibility of hard slotting in the draft "wasn't the only factor" in their decision to splurge, but conceded the new rules will have an effect on how the Cubs spend in the future "because (Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer) are only going to get a certain amount of dollars they can allocate" to the draft.

Why i think Cubs spend money this FA period

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they are wanting to restock the farm with trades wouldnt trading Marshall, Marmol make sense? I think Cubs have enough depth with Cashner, Shark, Wood, Carpenter ETC to do trade those 2. RP to me is the last thing you build to win.