2014 Chicago Cubs In-Season Discussion Thread

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
or realize that Mike Olt isn't that good?

Yeah, not like he was a top 10 overall prospect at one point because he was good or anything.

By the way, yes I'm aware not all top prospects pan out. The point is that there is obviously talent there and to write him off 9 games into a season that no one expects to go anywhere anyways is stupid.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wont write off Olt but I have been pretty adament that if he does well package him. I dont like his approach for the majors.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Castro: He hits. He lacks at taking walks and he makes errors.

Olt: Needs more time to call him out. He is not a complete package at all. He has some power potential and his glove is better than avg.

What was a good sign was his 2nd hit on Wed. Took it to RF. He starts doing that more and then pull inner half then we are talking potential. Until then I wont call him much.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Do you even know what Castro makes right now and last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me clarify in saying he's not worth the contract he was given. Clearly in 2012 anything he does basically makes a 550K salary palatable.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Castro's June July and August of 2012 were bad. His July was pathetic.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Career wise:

.283/.323/.406 705 hits His worst season he got 163 hits in 2013.

He is 24 now. Lets give him til age 36 and he avg's 175 hits per year. Seeing that is a realistic avg by what we have seen to date. That puts him at 2805 hits by 36. With in 200 of 3000 hits.

That is the potential he has. Yes he needs to work on his D at SS. Don't sell him short like that. He hits and that matters in this game.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The thing is nit picking over July 2012 is not going to mean shit when his career is over. Does any one look at a month break down of Pete Rose or Tony Gwynn? Not really.

They care about batting titles and career hits. That is what he is going to be known for. All he has to do is stay healthy and keep his current pace and he can put himself in that class. He has starting age to work with and he get plenty of AB's by playing every day. No one is going to care in the end from any month to month break down. So posting that now is just nit picking.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The thing is nit picking over July 2012 is not going to mean shit when his career is over. Does any one look at a month break down of Pete Rose or Tony Gwynn? Not really.

They care about batting titles and career hits. That is what he is going to be known for. All he has to do is stay healthy and keep his current pace and he can put himself in that class. He has starting age to work with and he get plenty of AB's by playing every day. No one is going to care in the end from any month to month break down. So posting that now is just nit picking.

LOL What? Did you just compare Starlin Castro to Tony Gwynn and Pete Rose?

Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees...If his month to month break down is bad...his entire season will be bad. I have yet to know of a baseball player that had a sub-par to awful 3 month stretch during a season and at the end of the year he ends up with stat lines that compare him to Pete Rose and Tony Gwynn

For a guy in Castro you talk about "winning batting titles" he's only had 3 months batting over .300 since the start of 2012.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees...If his month to month break down is bad...his entire season will be bad. I have yet to know of a baseball player that had a sub-par to awful 3 month stretch during a season and at the end of the year he ends up with stat lines that compare him to Pete Rose and Tony Gwynn

For a guy in Castro you talk about "winning batting titles" he's only had 3 months batting over .300 since the start of 2012.

You're just jealous that the Cubs took Theo from Boston and would not give up Castro as compensation. :yep:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You're just jealous that the Cubs took Theo from Boston and would not give up Castro as compensation. :yep:
tumblr_mvillu2CDr1snwcf6o1_1280.png

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
that was kinda the point
What?

That Ben Cherrington won a World Series 2 seasons after Theo Baseball went to Chicago?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

You are an idiot.

My point was he is on pace to hit 3000 hits and you want to nit pick a month or 1 year.

My point is when you look at great hitters no one looks at a few month span or a slump year or what ever. They look at the body of work.

So pipe down

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
What?

That Ben Cherrington won a World Series 2 seasons after Theo Baseball went to Chicago?

I forgot I was speaking to Fisch, let me break it down.

I claimed he was jealous of the Cubs.... which is ironic, because of the World Series... Get it yet?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And WTF is with Fisch's constant use of the term, "Theo Baseball"?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You do not like him. That is fine. Every one has an Ass hole err opinion

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't lie, absolutely loving Cashner as a pick up off FA in fantasy so far, complete game shut up with 1 hit. BEA utiful!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So the cubs are 6th in the majors in starter ERA with 2.95 not including Sharks start tonight. They are also 8th in the majors in k/9 I know it's early but...... i'm just sayin'