1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So the cubs are 6th in the majors in starter ERA with 2.95 not including Sharks start tonight. They are also 8th in the majors in k/9 I know it's early but...... i'm just sayin'

Where are we in closer's ERA though?

And that's awful, 5 teams better rotations, smh.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pen:
Rondon: 0.00 ERA and a 0.86 WHIP. I would make him a 8th inning guy at least right now. Maybe a closer. His stuff is really good. 9 SO in 7 IP

Schlitter: 6.35 ERA and a 0.88 WHIP. He had 1 bad outing where he gave up a HR and put 2 guys on for Russell to give up a 3 run jack. In his other 5 appearances 5 IP 1 ER
My hang up with him is 1 SO in 6 games. That alone should signal that he needs to go. He puts the ball into play too much.

Grimm: 0.00 ERA 1.29 WHIP. Good stuff but gives up some walks. 9 SO so he can get a punch out. He has to become a go to very soon here.

And the problem child's:
Strop 1.41 WHIP I believe he will be fine. 8 SO in 5.2 IP. He has given up 2 HR's in 5.2 IP. Little concern here.
Wright 2.10 WHIP 5 hits in 3.1 IP...really?
Veras 2.45 WHIP 7 BB in 3.2 IP....the plate is the middle of the 3.
Russell 2.63 WHIP 4 BB in 2.2 IP...damn drunk

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Not sure if this is real, but I just got an article on my phone from CBSSports saying that Veras lost the closer gig... can't find the link anywhere on my computer though...

I hope it's legit, but this would be quite a flip-flop from Renteria if it is...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
#Cubs Renteria says Veras will be used in non save situations for now. Closer will be decided by matchups

:clap:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;XDZ_lSJjgvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ_lSJjgvk[/video]

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Pat G**** · Top Commenter ·
Probably like Marmol, Boy Blunder Epstein is trying to up value then dish......expect the same until Veras is so bad he forces the hand like Marmol did.

Saw this on the ESPNChicago comments... looks like our boy patg found a new place to spread his message while he's banned here... :clap:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Cubs bullpen has done some Marmoling. That much is certain.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Shitter I agree with. 1 SO is sad.

Rusin....not sure how he will do as a short man. Their LHRP blows so needed.

Rusin was not good at AAA so far. 1.76 WHIP and a 6.52 ERA

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well if they make Grim the 8th inning and Rondon the 9th inning they will have 2 games off with Jackson and Vill every time through...Need to split up those 2 clowns for pen days off and the mop up crew to come in...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Villanueva will be gone as soon as Arrieta ready unless they use Rusin for his next start

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs optioned pitcher Chris Rusin down to Triple-A Iowa following his outing Saturday against the Cardinals. The team will bring up Blake Parker from Iowa to replace his spot on the roster, Comcast SportsNet Chicago reports. Rusin allowed one run on three hits and one walk while striking out one over five innings pitched in a 10-4 defeat.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Arrieta is at 6.2 IP over 2 games. I'm expecting 20 IP. Basically this is his ST. So May 1st I'm guessing.

IDK how it will shake out though. Carlos holds value as a swing so I expect him retained. They need to focus on Grimm, Strop and Rondon in the pen.

Parker not sure. I'm not a fan of him. Lacks talent.

A wild prediction is they let Veras ease back into the closer role to up his resale value. His issue has been throwing strikes. He has been healthy. So sounds like a release point issue going on.

Vill will be traded also later season.

Now on Hammel....shoot I would extend him. He has been better than expected for sure. Nasty slider. More talented than Feldman was. I wouldn't be sad with Shark, Hammel, Wood, Arrieta as the 1-4.

Jackson is the one they need to figure out. He is walking too many. Something is wrong with him and they need to figure it out fast.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
LOL What? Did you just compare Starlin Castro to Tony Gwynn and Pete Rose?

Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees...If his month to month break down is bad...his entire season will be bad. I have yet to know of a baseball player that had a sub-par to awful 3 month stretch during a season and at the end of the year he ends up with stat lines that compare him to Pete Rose and Tony Gwynn

For a guy in Castro you talk about "winning batting titles" he's only had 3 months batting over .300 since the start of 2012.

NO HE DIDN'T.

He made a point about career hit totals for players, and the fact that Starlin Castro will be known for that, as opposed to Gold Gloves or HR's.

Castro will have close to 850-900 hits at age 24. The starting age is a huge, huge factor when it comes to career hit totals.

If he doesn't play well enough going forward, it will become moot. But if he continues to play every day, he will pile up a LOT of hits by the time he s through. For pete's sake, the kid had 200 hits in a season at age 21.(Or was it 20?).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Haters will be haters. If he gets 190 hits this year they will look for something else to bash him on just because they don't like him.

The thing is his worst year was 163 hits. His best 207. He is on pace to get 3K. He has been healthy and he plays every day.

But of course that doesn't fit agenda so they want to point out this month or that month vs notting that he is hitting now and he has made some sick plays at SS this year. 2 today.

What ever

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Quick Fix:

Promote
Tsuyoshi Wada: .68 ERA .60 WHIP 1 BB/18 SO 13.1 IP

Carlos Villanueva Release 20 hits in 9.1 IP He is just not good right now. His strength has been his BB ratio but his stuff is very hit-able and it nullifies his strength.

To be honest his talent is nothing special that it would get anything special so produce or look for work.

I would keep Parker as a place holder for Arrieta and then figure what to do with Wada...If Wada does what he is doing in Iowa I would demote Jackson to the pen and hope his stuff is good there. Screw return value.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I guess the only good news is they aren't getting swept every series... :cubstroll: