*2015 AL Central Thread*

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Start him in the pen wherever he ends up. I will say one thing about the guy from watching him pitch. I love his balance and I love how he pitches tall. The guy he reminds me a bit is Big Jim Kaat. I got very excited the first time I saw Sale pitch and this kid looks just as good. Totally different pitchers but really looks good.

I can see why Sox fans are having wet dreams about the notion of Rodon joining the starting rotation but throw some water on yourselves. He is still a baby:)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not in the literal sense, but some of the hype is way over the top and premature.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen it on this or other boards. Dems summarized it well.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It was an ACL and they did take out some of his meniscus when they did the surgery. That was reported.

As for his lower body. Watch his swing, especially left handed. IF that knee is compromised, his trigger twist and transfer are going to be affected to one degree or another.
I wouldn't worry about his trigger. Those can be replaced with a bit of training and repetition. Again its more about his age. Even without the injury he would be in a natural state of decline...much like what I think of the Tigers overall.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The only hype you'll seen on Rodon is coming from scouts and evaluators. He was the top rated player in the draft, and we got him at #3. I understand skepticism from fans who haven't seen him play yet, but trust that the Sox know what they're doing. He will be an ace for us very soon, sooner than most of you think.[emoji60]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
In regards to the division, I think some of you guys are way off on your assessment of the overall quality of teams. KC, Detroit, Cleveland and the Sox are all above .500 teams with lots of talent. That's 4 potential playoff teams in one division. I don't see any other division with that much depth from top to bottom.

The offenses are about even on paper, so the team with the best pitching will win the division, and most likely win the pennant unless the Mariners catch fire, which I have doubts about.

The Red Sox are a dark horse with all the prospects they have. Does it sicken anyone else how a team with that much payroll and revenue still ends up with so many quality spects? They have another top 5 pick in the upcoming draft too.[emoji53]

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why are people so enamoured with him starting in the pen?

He needs to stretch out his arm.

Because, if they want him to help this team, right away, the Pen will probably be where it will come from.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In regards to the division, I think some of you guys are way off on your assessment of the overall quality of teams. KC, Detroit, Cleveland and the Sox are all above .500 teams with lots of talent. That's 4 potential playoff teams in one division. I don't see any other division with that much depth from top to bottom.

The offenses are about even on paper, so the team with the best pitching will win the division, and most likely win the pennant unless the Mariners catch fire, which I have doubts about.

The Red Sox are a dark horse with all the prospects they have. Does it sicken anyone else how a team with that much payroll and revenue still ends up with so many quality spects? They have another top 5 pick in the upcoming draft too.[emoji53]

I do not agree. I do not see 4 teams in the AL Central as being over .500. My guess is that there will be two among KC, Detroit, and the Sox. I do not see either Cleveland or the Twins as winning more than say, 77 games. These teams are just not that good.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Because, if they want him to help this team, right away, the Pen will probably be where it will come from.

He's more helpful stretching his arm out. Eventually he's going to be a starter and we're going to need 200 IP out of him. Wasting him in the pen delays that.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
He's more helpful stretching his arm out. Eventually he's going to be a starter and we're going to need 200 IP out of him. Wasting him in the pen delays that.

What is this "stretching" out nonsense? You don't rush a young prospect into a starter's role like that. You could end up crushing his confidence and ruining his career if he's not ready. Gotta be smarter than that.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why would you put a starting pitcher in the pen, when you drafted him to be a starting pitcher? It makes no sense to put him in the pen. He needs endurance. He needs to learn how to get through pro lineups 3 times.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Why would you put a starting pitcher in the pen, when you drafted him to be a starting pitcher? It makes no sense to put him in the pen. He needs endurance. He needs to learn how to get through pro lineups 3 times.

You put him in the pen to give him time to acclimate to pitching in the big leagues. If you start him too soon and he gets crushed, it can destroy his confidence. It also forces him to earn a spot in the rotation, versus just giving it to him, which can be a demotivator for some players. Lots more reasons I can think of, to.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

it is the way sale and buehrle started off but i dont want rodon in the pen

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You put him in the pen to give him time to acclimate to pitching in the big leagues. If you start him too soon and he gets crushed, it can destroy his confidence. It also forces him to earn a spot in the rotation, versus just giving it to him, which can be a demotivator for some players. Lots more reasons I can think of, to.

Very few clubs do that with high draft pick starters. Most get a late season call up to see what they are and come back next year ready to go.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I see both sides of this debate. Honestly I keep waffling myself on this one.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Why waffle? There is no reason to have him in the bullpen. Zero.

Starts the year in the bullpen. Goes 60 ip. 2016 they want him as a starter, and can only go 120 or whatever (think 2007 Danks) and gets shut down, or gets roughed up due to fatigue around late Aug/Sep.

So then 2017 you can start to envision him as a full time starter. That is two seasons later, and we lost the extra year of control.

Yeah, great fucking strategy.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
the strategy worked for Sale which is why I waffle.

And stop this nonsense about an extra year of control. The Sox don't play that silly game.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
You can't just say it worked for x, it'll work for y.

You can argue it worked for Sale, Garland, and Buehrle, yes, but anyone else remember Sale's last 53 innings in 2012: 4.22 ERA or Jose Quintana's last 26 innings in 2012: 7.52. Because they weren't used to pitching that much

Is that really what we want down the stretch in 2016 because we wanted him to waste time in the pen? I don't. Maybe the Tigers, Indians, and Royals do.

Best plan is in Charlotte to start the year, and eventually Chicago to get the extra year, is to limit his total innings for the year. Maybe cap his pitches per start, and groom him into being 180/200 IP starter for 2016.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You can't just say it worked for x, it'll work for y.

You can argue it worked for Sale, Garland, and Buehrle, yes, but anyone else remember Sale's last 53 innings in 2012: 4.22 ERA or Jose Quintana's last 26 innings in 2012: 7.52. Because they weren't used to pitching that much

Is that really what we want down the stretch in 2016 because we wanted him to waste time in the pen? I don't. Maybe the Tigers, Indians, and Royals do.

Best plan is in Charlotte to start the year, and eventually Chicago to get the extra year, is to limit his total innings for the year. Maybe cap his pitches per start, and groom him into being 180/200 IP starter for 2016.
You make the case for my waffling. Thanks.