Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
12 Final Four appearances Tied for first in history

5 National Championships second in history

Most wins in college basketball history

Most wins in Tourney history and its not even close

So, tell me again how you point out to underwhelming teams? Its not even close. Dont let your hate for Duke stop your knowledge of the sport.

Of course he does on those points.. He's been a coach since 1977 and teams play more games each season than ever before. He also benefits from most of his coaching career being in the 64 tournament format while other guys like Wooden, Dean Smith or Bobby Knight did not.

Now I don't dispute what he did from 86-2001.. I call that the top of his reign and that run from 1989-1994 is rather amazing. Perhaps thats why expectations are always so high.. I'm just saying since then you have numerous underachieving teams upset in the tournament. He's still gotten 2 more National Titles and good for him. In that same time frame Roy Williams has 2 national titles too....All the while never losing in the first round.

So congrats to him on the national title. I fully expect his team to lose early in the tournament next year as a #2 or #3 seed and it'll be business as usual again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course he does on those points.. He's been a coach since 1977 and teams play more games each season than ever before. He also benefits from most of his coaching career being in the 64 tournament format while other guys like Wooden, Dean Smith or Bobby Knight did not.

Now I don't dispute what he did from 86-2001.. I call that the top of his reign and that run from 1989-1994 is rather amazing. Perhaps thats why expectations are always so high.. I'm just saying since then you have numerous underachieving teams upset in the tournament. He's still gotten 2 more National Titles and good for him. In that same time frame Roy Williams has 2 national titles too....All the while never losing in the first round.

So congrats to him on the national title. I fully expect his team to lose early in the tournament next year as a #2 or #3 seed and it'll be business as usual again.

That is straight Duke hate. lol

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That is straight Duke hate. lol
Yeah, but it also shows recent history

2010 - W Title
2011 - #1 seed, lose Sweet 16

2001 - W Title
2002 - #1 seed, lose Sweet 16

Perhaps I'm wrong in saying they'll be a #2 or #3 seed. Maybe they'll be a #1 seed and lose in the Sweet 16 again.

I'll even throw in another Final Four year

2004 - L in Final Four
2005 - #1 seed, lose Sweet 16

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but it also shows recent history

2010 - W Title
2011 - #1 seed, lose Sweet 16

2001 - W Title
2002 - #1 seed, lose Sweet 16

Perhaps I'm wrong in saying they'll be a #2 or #3 seed. Maybe they'll be a #1 seed and lose in the Sweet 16 again.

I'll even throw in another Final Four year

2004 - L in Final Four
2005 - #1 seed, lose Sweet 16

Sounds like a top program every year in one of the toughest conferences every year.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are a number of coaches that would have the same or better record that Coach K has if they had the talent he has gotten over the years. Obviously Duke is a power house in CB, once that status was established years ago the top players keep signing there. You don't have to have the best coach when you have top talent. You are exalting a coach that gets top talent (great recruiter) and wins because of the great talent, that doesn't make him the best coach. Good coach that recruits great talent and builds a great program.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are a number of coaches that would have the same or better record that Coach K has if they had the talent he has gotten over the years. Obviously Duke is a power house in CB, once that status was established years ago the top players keep signing there. You don't have to have the best coach when you have top talent. You are exalting a coach that gets top talent (great recruiter) and wins because of the great talent, that doesn't make him the best coach. Good coach that recruits great talent and builds a great program.

Holy fuck? What did I just read? That he isnt a great coach because he gets great talent that he recruits personally? Was this serious? Please say you are just bitter right now because you sound completely stupid right now. Im talking the hawk stupid.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Holy fuck? What did I just read? That he isnt a great coach because he gets great talent that he recruits personally? Was this serious? Please say you are just bitter right now because you sound completely stupid right now. Im talking the hawk stupid.

You don't read too well, thats the 2nd time you have misconstrued my words. At no time did I say he personally recruits, with a big program comes a staff with scouts etc. To clarify the parts you don't understand "talent he has gotten over the years" "coach that gets top talent (great recruiter)" are referring to his program/staff not him specifically.

As for you saying I sound stupid I will just say you are a mod, please calm down Mr. Mod. you are appointed to keep the peace. You just called me stupid based on your misinterpretation of my words.
612+Lighten+Up+Francis.jpg

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think people would be shocked to find out that Coach K is a lot like other coaches all throughout college basketball.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't read too well, thats the 2nd time you have misconstrued my words. At no time did I say he personally recruits, with a big program comes a staff with scouts etc. To clarify the parts you don't understand "talent he has gotten over the years" "coach that gets top talent (great recruiter)" are referring to his program/staff not him specifically.

As for you saying I sound stupid I will just say you are a mod, please calm down Mr. Mod. you are appointed to keep the peace. You just called me stupid based on your misinterpretation of my words.
612+Lighten+Up+Francis.jpg

:turrible:

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if anyone here participated in the ESPN bracket contest? If so, do you remember a prompt about age restrictions?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm curious if anyone here participated in the ESPN bracket contest? If so, do you remember a prompt about age restrictions?

I won the CCS bracket on ESPN. Would the age restriction not let you in?