2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
I just don't understand why people want the team to contend so fast.

Why not tank for years to come to see if we could draft the next Trout / Harper?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The guys with the most value to contenders will be Kimbrel, Chafin, and Pederson. Kimbrel teams will overpay for. White Sox should be calling about Chafin. Pederson can play any position in OF and has been a better hitter in the postseason. Cost to acquire will be low and then you let him walk in the offseason. Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez I don't think generate much interest at the price Hoyer will want for them. I have a feeling Hoyer will just let them walk and take the comp picks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I gotta figure Marisnick also has decent trade value... i mean don't get me wrong he's not going to bring a ton back but you're talking about a strong defensive CF backup with speed who is hitting .245/.310/.490. That's a very attractive depth bat to add in a year where there is no longer any waiver deals. So if you catch an injury you might be screwed. Having a guy who can reasonably cover all 3 OF spots defensively and isn't terrible hitting is pretty valuable. I think he'd be worth a top 200 type prospect but probably not worth anything in the top 100

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol @CSF77 for believing everything hoyer and co spew. As if a GM would never bend the truth at all. When do GM’s ever come out and say, “yep…we are gonna suck for the next couple years while we rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple years getting back to contention.” No, they hardly ever say anything like this because it would upset fanboys. So instead, they say something like… “we will be going thru a transition year next year.” Genius

I also don’t know why he wants Seager so badly. The guy is always hurt it seems, and he doesn’t play very good defense at a position where defense really matters. So basically you wanna give the guy a long term big money deal to only end up having to move the guy to like second base eventually…when he’s even healthy

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think Davies will be gone for whatever they can get to someone who needs rotation depth, maybe even SD. Chafin will undoubtedly pique interest. Maybe Tepera or Winkler. Someone would have to blow them away for Hendricks, like a quintana level offer. Contreras I would imagine would be looking at an even bigger offer to get him. I don't think anyone is off the table though. Hoerner would be the closest to untouchable.
I would almost bet on San Diego. They really didn't want to give him up. He matches up well in that park. They need some rotation stability.

San Diego has a few 45 grade arms so I would deal there to keep stock piling arms.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol @CSF77 for believing everything hoyer and co spew. As if a GM would never bend the truth at all. When do GM’s ever come out and say, “yep…we are gonna suck for the next couple years while we rebuild. It’s going to be a rough couple years getting back to contention.” No, they hardly ever say anything like this because it would upset fanboys. So instead, they say something like… “we will be going thru a transition year next year.” Genius

I also don’t know why he wants Seager so badly. The guy is always hurt it seems, and he doesn’t play very good defense at a position where defense really matters. So basically you wanna give the guy a long term big money deal to only end up having to move the guy to like second base eventually…when he’s even healthy

You need help bro.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Harper is overrated and neither have ever won anything. Angels might have the 2 best players in baseball and are still terrible

Tanking is risky with a large fan base. The Yankees did a quick reload vs a rip apart to get rid of payroll.

Boston same thing. They will make deals to move payroll but they will get right back into it.

Dodgers same thing. They will reload.

The Cubs are also in this category.

Teams that rip apart:

Padres
White Sox
Athletics
Rays
Seattle

And so on.

All are mid tier or lower payroll teams.

Jed just put it out plain. This is not 2012.

2012 was the start of investing into infrastructure.

The fan base got that.

The fan base will not get buying a team to flip which means not contending. When they are charging fans top dollar at the box.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is easier to be strait forward vs shady as a leader.

There is a old adage. All we have in life is our word.

In life do you go back to a mechanic that lies to you? Does poor work? No we go and tell every one to avoid them because they are untrustworthy and will bring their business elsewhere.

At the end of the day the Cubs are a business. Sure a big one. But don't you think that flat out lying to the base might get you removed when the box drops?

Nope be strait. We are flipping. We will do a mini overhaul and be back at it because that is our brand.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jed says they have already started making calls. It's begun.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jed says they have already started making calls. It's begun.

I'm predicting

Bryant
Davies
Kimbrel
Rizzo

Gone.

Baez after Story unless Denver overprices and Jed is more reasonable.

The rest really are not moving any needles. So if that is the high point pass.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Chafin will absolutely be in demand. Lefty relievers having the year he is are always in high demand at the deadline. Tepera will draw significant interest too, I imagine

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Must have a used car sales person in here

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Chafin will absolutely be in demand. Lefty relievers having the year he is are always in high demand at the deadline. Tepera will draw significant interest too, I imagine

40-45 ranked prospect at best.

Cubs still have to field a team for 60 days after the deadline. Which is last season.

So I doubt that Jed trades to just trade.

Chafin yes because Jed can promote Steel. Tepera I doubt. Injured for one. Two they need someone to pitch the 9th. Even though the season is trash there is a due process.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
40-45 ranked prospect at best.

Cubs still have to field a team for 60 days after the deadline. Which is last season.

So I doubt that Jed trades to just trade.

Chafin yes because Jed can promote Steel. Tepera I doubt. Injured for one. Two they need someone to pitch the 9th. Even though the season is trash there is a due process.

classic you. He’s no longer injured. And if you can get a 45 prospect for a reliever you have no long term plans for….you do it. The cubs have other arms to finish the season with…not as good probably, but we aren’t trying to make the playoffs anyways. Tepera is 33. No point not trading him

CSF77

Liked Posts:

classic you. He’s no longer injured. And if you can get a 45 prospect for a reliever you have no long term plans for….you do it. The cubs have other arms to finish the season with…not as good probably, but we aren’t trying to make the playoffs anyways. Tepera is 33. No point not trading him

Typical? So news hits while I am at work and it is typical?

is that the same thing as calling Jed a used car sales person.

we call them Tijuana specials out here. It involves a radiator removal from the windshield.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs recalled LHP Kyle Ryan from Iowa Cubs.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs placed LHP Brad Wieck on the 10-day injured list. Irregular heartbeat.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs activated RHP Ryan Tepera from the 10-day injured list.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Cory Abbott to Iowa Cubs.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Typical? So news hits while I am at work and it is typical?

is that the same thing as calling Jed a used car sales person.

we call them Tijuana specials out here. It involves a radiator removal from the windshield.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs recalled LHP Kyle Ryan from Iowa Cubs.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs placed LHP Brad Wieck on the 10-day injured list. Irregular heartbeat.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs activated RHP Ryan Tepera from the 10-day injured list.
07/09/21Chicago Cubs optioned RHP Cory Abbott to Iowa Cubs.

it’s the fact the guy was on the 10 day DL and you act like he isn’t a candidate to be traded by the July 31st deadline because he’s hurt

CSF77

Liked Posts:
it’s the fact the guy was on the 10 day DL and you act like he isn’t a candidate to be traded by the July 31st deadline because he’s hurt

No

First said was injured. That part is fixed.
Then said someone still has to pitch the 9th.

Not every player is going to fly off the shelf but there is plenty of games left this year. As in innings to cover. Not really winning games.

But sure move Kimbrel promote Leeper. If he keeps doing what he has been then think of moving Tepera.

The thing is Jed also has to play the games out. Having a guy that can close out a inning could keep the team out of extra innings. Which taxes a depleted roster even more.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
No

First said was injured. That part is fixed.
Then said someone still has to pitch the 9th.

Not every player is going to fly off the shelf but there is plenty of games left this year. As in innings to cover. Not really winning games.

But sure move Kimbrel promote Leeper. If he keeps doing what he has been then think of moving Tepera.

The thing is Jed also has to play the games out. Having a guy that can close out a inning could keep the team out of extra innings. Which taxes a depleted roster even more.

they have guys that can cover those innings once 2 or 3 bullpen guys get traded. Winkler is another guy that will get interest from teams