2021 Cubs trade deadline thread

jts1207

Liked Posts:
I didnt read any of this from 3 threads on cause I dont care to hear cucks.

Man, Im teary eyed. Sports bruhs. Rizzo, man, I knew it but lord that core gave us the best 6 years of our Cubs life. Im from New Orleans, Cubs were my team forever. Bad and good. Rizzo is a Cubs lifer and this video is awesome. Pay respect to him. He was the start. He was the start.

That’s a hard watch

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Of the guys the got back. I like Viz the best. Upper 90's with a change in the lower 90's that drops like a split. Screw the slider. Make him into the next Bruce Sutter and push him up the chain.

Alacantara is a work in progress. I would expect a bulk up process and his big arm moved to RF. You never know with these kids thought. Plenty of risk involved

The lefty is jyst another depth arm. I am not expecting anything to be honest.

I felt the Chafin returns were better but he comes with a opt.

Over all it is far better than expected for the lesser pieces. I am waiting on the big 2 now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well with the Dodgers playing big. Padres need to go big also.

My muse was Hendricks, Bryant and Kimbrel.

Cubs eat enough contract to put SD under tax.

Padres trade back Lament, Paddack and Hosmer and their #4. The #50 in baseball Robbert Hassell.

Hassell is in A ball but is at .309/.402/.453. 25 SB.
.So we are talking about the missing lead off hitter.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well with the Dodgers playing big. Padres need to go big also.

My muse was Hendricks, Bryant and Kimbrel.

Cubs eat enough contract to put SD under tax.

Padres trade back Lament, Paddack and Hosmer and their #4. The #50 in baseball Robbert Hassell.

Hassell is in A ball but is at .309/.402/.453. 25 SB.
.So we are talking about the missing lead off hitter.
Insiders believe the Hosmer contract is too big to move...

F7269406-4-A59-499-F-A4-A5-DD2-FB2-A344-D4.png

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Keith Law:

CUBS GET A STRONG RETURN FOR A DECLINING ANTHONY RIZZO

The Yankees added their second left-handed bat in two days, first getting Joey Gallo from the Rangers and now acquiring Anthony Rizzo from the Cubs. While the Gallo move makes them substantially better for this year (and addresses a need for next year), the Rizzo acquisition will probably have a smaller impact, as he’s not quite the player he used to be. The Cubs did well, however, adding two high-upside prospects who are further away from the majors, which is a fair return for two months of Rizzo.

Rizzo has been an icon in Chicago, becoming a star there after two trades that sent him from Boston to the Padres (for Adrián González) to the Cubs (for Andrew Cashner). With the Cubs, he reworked his swing to become a consistent hitter against left- and right-handed pitching with both patience and power right up through 2019. Since the start of 2020, however, he’s hit .238/.344/.433, as he’s lost bat speed and struggled against better velocity. He’s a left-handed hitter who could benefit from the short porch in Yankee Stadium, but it’s unlikely that he’s going to get that bat speed back. While he does give the Yankees another left-handed bat and a plus defender at first to help fill a void the Yankees have had there all year, his impact at the plate is likely to be limited.

The Cubs get a pair of faraway prospects with upside back, which is about the best they should have expected for a declining hitter at a position few teams needed and who is headed for free agency. Right-hander Alexander Vizcaíno has two plus pitches in a fastball up to 99 and a grade-70 changeup, working as a starter through 2019 and reaching High A. He was out until the start of July this year with a sore arm, and his return hasn’t gone well so far, with just six innings thrown across six appearances and 10 walks allowed in that span. He has a breaking ball, but it’s slurvy and clearly below average, and for him to be a starter he’ll have to tighten that up — and throw strikes again. The Yankees didn’t release details on his injury, but his control trouble this year makes me wonder if he’s completely recovered from whatever his arm ailment was.

Outfielder Kevin Alcantara debuted in the Gulf Coast League at age 16 back in 2019, and he wasn’t too bad given his age — he hit .260/.289/.358 but struck out only about 20 percent of the time, which is impressive for one of the league’s youngest players. He just returned to the field at the end of June in the same league, playing eight games so far and going 9-for-25 with four walks and seven strikeouts. The stat line doesn’t mean much in such a tiny sample, but it is good to see he’s not getting overmatched. He’s already filled out quite a bit since 2019, although there’s still a lot of room left on his 6-foot-6 frame, and his swing, always short and repeatable, is more under control. He’s a plus runner and projects to stay in center field and end up a 55 defender there, if not better. There’s plenty of variance in his outcomes, given his age and lack of pro experience — he’s up to 203 career PA now — but he has the upside of a 20-homer, high-average regular in center who plays above-average defense.

Bust

Liked Posts:
They can always bring Rizzo back in the offseason

Don't see it happening under Jed's watch.

Jed came out in public and was extremely frustrated with not hitting 85pct. vaccination. That's also not just Jed, that is also team ownership talking thru Jed as well as they also have to deal with the extra hassles that go with it.

When an influential Team Captain comes out on the mic that he was part of the reason...right wing social media and their masses love that stuff when well known celebrities decide to share, heh.

Last edited:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I am not upset that they are trading now.

But I am upset that three or four years ago we were told the Cubs were a couple years away from being like the Yanks, BoSox and Dodgers, and would be in play for every big time player.

The Yankees and Dodgers are acquiring players today, and the cheap ass Ricketts are selling. Apparently selling TD Ameritrade for billions wasn't enough.
It is a matter of wins and losses though. Just a few years ago the Yanks were selling. These things happen from time to time and this year was the time. The Cubs spent at every trade deadline and off season before this year. Continuing to do that would have just been wasteful.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I’m very encouraged by ownership for covering the entire bill on Rizzo to garner a better return.
Me too. That’s one place where you can actually buy up in talent by spending some cash with you otherwise can’t automatically do. I see people reacting “why trade him if you are going to pay his salary?“ But paying the salary can make a big difference in return

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It is a matter of wins and losses though. Just a few years ago the Yanks were selling. These things happen from time to time and this year was the time. The Cubs spent at every trade deadline and off season before this year. Continuing to do that would have just been wasteful.
Agreed.
At the time of the Quintana trade, I knew we were giving up a lot, but I was OK with it because I thought the Cubs were going for it while their window was open. It did not work out very well to say the least but I was OK with them taking that swing.

But it’s now time to retool reset whatever you call it. just don’t make it a rebuild that takes years

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
10 teams apparently still in on kimbrel. Braves taking a series from Mets and also being in on Bryant/kimbrel has to push them a little more. Lots of teams bidding against each other

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
10 teams apparently still in on kimbrel. Braves taking a series from Mets and also being in on Bryant/kimbrel has to push them a little more. Lots of teams bidding against each other

How can that be?! It’s a sellers market you’re telling me?!