2022 NHL Free Agency - Kane/Toews/Jones Update

Granada

Liked Posts:
Trocheck going to Rangers. Wonder if that puts the Kane rumor to bed, cap-wise.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I clicked that first tweet and saw two Avs fans arguing, one honestly saying that he doesn't want Kane, waste of cap space, -19, etc...

Glad we're not the only team corning the market on idiots.

Granada

Liked Posts:
And Athanisiou. I like that move.

Guess Davidson wants a punching bag, hence Domi.

Granada

Liked Posts:
1 year, 3 million per for Domi and Athanisiou. That's fine.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Trocheck going to Rangers. Wonder if that puts the Kane rumor to bed, cap-wise.
It’s looking like they won’t get moved until the trading deadline. If they can swing it now we will be better off

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
In a rebuild like this, it's imperative that you get good locker room/leader guys as much as young talent. They've stockpiled the talent, I wonder how team first and work ethic related Domi and Athanisiou are. at that price for one year it's good to bring in those guys to set a tone for the next core as to how the organization should be run. Not everyone can come in next year 18-21 shitting and pissing vinegar everywhere, need some guys here that are good culture setters, without being the old stoggey vets that the kids won't listen to. Need guys who are great roommates on the road for the kids.

Granada

Liked Posts:
In a rebuild like this, it's imperative that you get good locker room/leader guys as much as young talent. They've stockpiled the talent, I wonder how team first and work ethic related Domi and Athanisiou are. at that price for one year it's good to bring in those guys to set a tone for the next core as to how the organization should be run. Not everyone can come in next year 18-21 shitting and pissing vinegar everywhere, need some guys here that are good culture setters, without being the old stoggey vets that the kids won't listen to. Need guys who are great roommates on the road for the kids.
Agreed, but Domi is a bit of a loose cannon, at least on the ice. He played under Richardson in Montreal, so maybe the former has a handle on him and/or wanted him.

But yeah, you need NHL capable players to fill out a roster, even on a rebuild. Athanisiou and Domi fit that bill. Plus they're one year deals that can be flipped at the deadline.

Granada

Liked Posts:
How the hell is Tampa pulling off signing Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak? It looks like they're 6 million over the cap right now with those signings.

That Sergachev contract is damn hefty.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Agreed, but Domi is a bit of a loose cannon, at least on the ice. He played under Richardson in Montreal, so maybe the former has a handle on him and/or wanted him.

But yeah, you need NHL capable players to fill out a roster, even on a rebuild. Athanisiou and Domi fit that bill. Plus they're one year deals that can be flipped at the deadline.
It was a genuine question, I don't know enough about them or their rep to know what kind of teammates they are perceived as. Domi could be that guy on the ice who is all over the place everywhere and then a good locker room guy because he's just about the team, or he could be a Akim Aliu everywhere. I forgot that he was with Richardson last year, so I think that's a very good sign about fit at least. Also a good sign that someone who has been coached by him would want to sign here. No matter how minor a role.