2022 NHL Free Agency - Kane/Toews/Jones Update

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Spending 6 million isn’t wasting money. CBA says each team must spend above the cap floor so the money is already spent. If you get anything out of Domi or AA at the deadline, that’s gravy. If there is any player that can make Domi or AA better on the stat sheet, it is Patrick Kane. That alone is reason to not trade him until the TDL to try to maximize other flippable assets. It will be worth watching how Debrincat and Strome perform without Kane.
Yep. They got to spend the money on somebody.....who knows, maybe one of these guys gets hot for a few months and looks good to a Cup contender. Even if they don't, Hawks won't be losing anything....it was money they were forced to spend. There will be a few more of these junk players around if Toews and Kane leave.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Great job smashing a RUZZIAN Domi!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
True, but it’s backwards logic.

Spending six million dollars for a couple third rounders, no matter how ridiculous this draft is, is wasting money.

To even get a second rounder, these two twerps are gonna have to be posting career numbers. Domi does more good being a fucking asshole and putting the hawks on the pk so I’m really not too eye rolly, but AA is the drizzling shits.

Let’s start a bet on how many games he plays. I’ll take 30-35.
Buying draft picks in a great draft is the farthest thing from wasting money.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
How much ltir money do the bolts have?

They’re the only team that learned having shit contracts were a benefit while chasing cups.

Hell, they’ve manipulated the system to their advantage so much these last couple years it’s a shock the NHL didn’t try and stop what they’re doing.

Trust me, they’re going to be players in the Kane seeepstakes come trade dead line. I’m sure a couple of those guys they just signed to long term extensions will suddenly be “injured” around that time.
Actually LTIR works differently in offseason than during season. You are allowed to go over cap by 10 % during the offseason including cap hits from LTIR contracts, but you have to be cap complaint day 1 without LTIR contracts. Those LTIR contracts require a lot of roster juggling to make it work. The new contracts for their new players don’t kick in until the following season.

Tampa will have a hard time doing anything this year since the Hawks own their 2023 1st and 2nd and their 2024 first. The Tampa window is closing rapidly.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Buying draft picks in a great draft is the farthest thing from wasting money.
Actually, it is.

Six million dollars on two players who unless have career years, is only going to bring back a third round pick at best. Neither of these guys are bringing back a second rounder unless they are at 30 goals by the deadline.

If they needed to spend money to hit the floor, they could have looked at the RFA’s and offered 4 million and if signed, they would have only cost the Hawks a second round pick. Dobson in particular with Lou as GM probably would have been let go at a 4 million offer sheet.

Point is, if you are spending second round money on scrubs you sure as shit better get a second rounder when you flip them.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Lankinen officially gone too, signed in Nashville, 1 year 1.5 million

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lankinen officially gone too, signed in Nashville, 1 year 1.5 million
Either these players were horribly mishandled in Chicago or these teams are in for a big surprise.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Actually, it is.

Six million dollars on two players who unless have career years, is only going to bring back a third round pick at best. Neither of these guys are bringing back a second rounder unless they are at 30 goals by the deadline.

If they needed to spend money to hit the floor, they could have looked at the RFA’s and offered 4 million and if signed, they would have only cost the Hawks a second round pick. Dobson in particular with Lou as GM probably would have been let go at a 4 million offer sheet.

Point is, if you are spending second round money on scrubs you sure as shit better get a second rounder when you flip them.

Last thing a rebuilding team should do is offer sheet someone that costs draft capital. Draft capital is the rebuilding currency. Only reason you use FA is to fill gaps while younger players develop at the lower levels. This is why Domi and AA are here to buy time for prospects. If KD can end up flipping them, that’s great but in reality that’s not the primary reason why they are signed to one-year deals.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
And I disagree that AA or Domi won’t bring back more than 3rd round picks. At the deadline, their cap hits will be 1.5 million and the Hawks could eat 50 % of the cap hit so playoff teams will only need to account for 750k in cap space. That’s highly attractive for teams up against the cap thinking they can win a Cup. Domi and AA have their warts but they are NHL players. Both can play in the top 6 in the proper situation.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Last thing a rebuilding team should do is offer sheet someone that costs draft capital. Draft capital is the rebuilding currency. Only reason you use FA is to fill gaps while younger players develop at the lower levels. This is why Domi and AA are here to buy time for prospects. If KD can end up flipping them, that’s great but in reality that’s not the primary reason why they are signed to one-year deals.
I get that.

But three million equates to a second round pick. If he gets less then that it’s wasted money.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
And I disagree that AA or Domi won’t bring back more than 3rd round picks. At the deadline, their cap hits will be 1.5 million and the Hawks could eat 50 % of the cap hit so playoff teams will only need to account for 750k in cap space. That’s highly attractive for teams up against the cap thinking they can win a Cup. Domi and AA have their warts but they are NHL players. Both can play in the top 6 in the proper situation.
Domi returned a five year college defenseman last year. He has as much value as Strome.

Nobody will want AA unless they need ltir room.

I don’t want to hear the cap floor crap. You minus six million dollars and they’re still very above the floor by four million.

You have 35 million dollars tied up in four players. Count Keith’s penalty that’s 40. They could have taken a bad contract and got first round picks.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Actually LTIR works differently in offseason than during season. You are allowed to go over cap by 10 % during the offseason including cap hits from LTIR contracts, but you have to be cap complaint day 1 without LTIR contracts. Those LTIR contracts require a lot of roster juggling to make it work. The new contracts for their new players don’t kick in until the following season.

Tampa will have a hard time doing anything this year since the Hawks own their 2023 1st and 2nd and their 2024 first. The Tampa window is closing rapidly.
Nah. They’re in the same spot the Hawks were in in 2010 with the exception they have their core locked up and no qualifying offer mishaps. Getting rid of McDonagh helped them quite a bit which would have been similar to trading Seabrook after 2015.

Did they lose depth, sure. Losing Palat was bad, but they did get Hagel who could replace him. They’re still three lines and two pairings deep and have the best goalie in the world right now.

As for the juggling, they have what, three guys who usually sit out half the year as of late? Kuch for sure isn’t playing 80 games and didn’t one of their players have a punctured lung or something?

If the Cup winning Hawks teams played the ltir game they would have won five in a row.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Either these players were horribly mishandled in Chicago or these teams are in for a big surprise.
Well, maybe but I just think they were what they were. I'm not going to miss either, especially Lank -- great kid, nice guy, but just seems destined to always be an average backup at best. Strome can be solid on a team like Washington, but he'll never be a guy who can carry a team. He's serviceable in the top-six but not exactly ideal; and he's never fit in a third-line center role.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Strome got a fair chance his first year here 17/52 in 58gms and 22/48 in 69gms his last year here,the two in between saw a stubborn punk of a HC bench him for weeks on end in favor of guys long out of the league. The kid somehow never lost his confidence or his attitude and went out and had his best career year after Harry Potter got the boot and worked his ass off to become a good faceoff man too @52%+.
Quite a few forwards had breakthroughs in their mid 20's last year and Dylan Strome was one of em.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently, it doesn't make any difference. He's wiping the slate clean. Who's left? Jones, McCabe, Murphy, Johnson, a bunch of Rockford rejects and a handful of players from other teams that nobody else wanted. Good luck with selling that to your season ticket holders.

No wonder Kaner is still around.....anyone want to hazzard a guess when they pull the plug on televised home games? Of course, it's not like they'll be missed or anything. There might be some interest at first but eventually it will be a horrible team with horrible announcers playing in front of a half empty UC. Ugh.....

This better pay dividends down the road or it will more heads rolling and another rebuild to follow. I laughed when @LordKOTL proposed
a 7/10 year rebuild but he may very well be right about that. There's no guarantee that Davidson gets the picks he wants or even if he does...takes the right players with them.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I would have posted this in the NHL thread but nobody ever reads that one, lol.

Sounds like Matthew Tkachuk is on his way out of Calgary. Wow, if that's true, they will be losing both him and Johnny Gaudreau this off-season -- and I thought we had it bad as Hawks fans. That's a reallllll kick in the nuts.

I'd love to see Matthew Tkachuk in a Hawks sweater; it's never going to happen obviously, but still. I love the way he plays and I was a big Keith Tkachuk fan growing up. Matthew is one of the rare, true power forwards left in the game. I just hope he doesn't end up in his hometown of St. Louis. Anywhere but fucking St. Louis. Please.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I would have posted this in the NHL thread but nobody ever reads that one, lol.

Sounds like Matthew Tkachuk is on his way out of Calgary. Wow, if that's true, they will be losing both him and Johnny Gaudreau this off-season -- and I thought we had it bad as Hawks fans. That's a reallllll kick in the nuts.

I'd love to see Matthew Tkachuk in a Hawks sweater; it's never going to happen obviously, but still. I love the way he plays and I was a big Keith Tkachuk fan growing up. Matthew is one of the rare, true power forwards left in the game. I just hope he doesn't end up in his hometown of St. Louis. Anywhere but fucking St. Louis. Please.

#woah that calgary championship window closed quick, lol.

Granada

Liked Posts:
#woah that calgary championship window closed quick, lol.
It has. I get the feeling that maybe Kadri ends up there, which would be a tiny consolation. Not sure about their cap situation though.